The Student Room Group

What do you want to know about Oxford?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by flying_ifan
I swear the amount of nervous waiting involved in an Oxford application is not healthy :frown:

It's not. It will take at least a couple of years off our lives. :sigh:
Original post by flying_ifan
I swear the amount of nervous waiting involved in an Oxford application is not healthy :frown:

It really isn't. I considered myself to be a very rational person before this whole UCAS application :tongue:
Original post by confused dot com
It really isn't. I considered myself to be a very rational person before this whole UCAS application :tongue:

:laugh: well, in that case I didn't have anything to lose to start with :tongue:
Hey guys,

I've got a couple of questions if it's ok. Firstly, if you're doing physics, do you do your maths tutorials and lectures with the maths fellows or the physics fellows?

Also, someone showed me this document about the introduction of a new masters course in theoretical and mathematical physics at Oxford. It sounds like it might be introduced when we are about to go into 4th year. What do people think of the course and what are the chances of it being introduced?

http://www-thphys.physics.ox.ac.uk/MMathPhys/ACpaperJan2012.pdf

Cheers,
Robby
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1584
Original post by ROBBY7896

Also, someone showed me this document about the introduction of a new masters course in theoretical and mathematical physics at Oxford. It sounds like it might be introduced when we are about to go into 4th year. What do people think of the course and what are the chances of it being introduced?

http://www-thphys.physics.ox.ac.uk/M...perJan2012.pdf

Cheers,
Robby

Can't help you much I'm afraid except that professor jelly said to me at an open day that they were thinking of creating a new joint degree with maths and physics. But that it was probably a way off if they did it.

The real reason I quoted is cos the link don't work for me, don't know why.
Original post by JayReg
Can't help you much I'm afraid except that professor jelly said to me at an open day that they were thinking of creating a new joint degree with maths and physics. But that it was probably a way off if they did it.

The real reason I quoted is cos the link don't work for me, don't know why.

Ah thanks for pointing it out. I've changed the link now, so hopefully it works now :smile:
Original post by Abbseh
You wouldn't happen to know of Univ, Magdalen or Jesus' accommodation as such or food for veggies (who can't eat cheese)? :biggrin:
Ahaha Damn I hate migraines!

This is a bit late, but on Univ accommodation and hall; there are lots of different bits where you can live - you can find pictures in the alternative prospectus! I'm currently living in a room in Goodhart which is a rather modern building where lots of Freshers live. My room is actually bigger than my room at home and has a view to the Master's Lodgins and Logic Lane. I'm sharing a shower and a toilet with 4 other people, but never really had a problem with waiting, though it may be a bit busier in the mornings. Nearly all Fresher rooms are a decent size and people in general seem really happy with accommodation at Univ. Everyone gets sinks and a mini fridge. Next year I'll be living in a pretty secluded bit of the college called Helen's Court (where Bill Clinton used to live). I'll have a double bed (yay!) and two rooms, a study and a bedroom. All first and second years are on the main site; on your 3rd year there's a choice of living in college accommodation up north but most people seem to get houses.

When it comes to food, I'm not actually a vegetarian but friends have complained that it's rather repetitive; be prepared for a lot of mushrooms and olives. It's about £3.20 for informal hall. Formal hall is around £6.50 for three courses.
Open days coming up if anyone wants their questions answered in REAL TIME :eek: :wink:
Reply 1588
Do overseas stay during vacations?
Returning home each time is expensive, but so is staying at college...
Plus I think staying is probably better academically but I don't want to be all alone :/
Original post by nexttime
Open days coming up if anyone wants their questions answered in REAL TIME :eek: :wink:
We're fast enough :wink:
Reply 1590
Original post by Cromat
Plus I think staying is probably better academically but I don't want to be all alone :/

Generally not, as far as I know; certainly I don't know anyone at Merton who stays over the vacation (though they're a bit more lenient about vacation residence for a few days before/after term to make it easier for travel arrangements).
Reply 1591
Original post by dbmag9
Generally not, as far as I know; certainly I don't know anyone at Merton who stays over the vacation (though they're a bit more lenient about vacation residence for a few days before/after term to make it easier for travel arrangements).

Doesn't that kinda makes it hard to make friends?
I mean, the term being only 8 weeks and then everyone goes home...
Reply 1592
Original post by Cromat

Not really; 8 weeks is a long time, and they're a very full eight weeks. The people you hang out with in freshers' week probably won't all be the same people you're friends with by mid-Hilary (second term), but that's true at any university.
Reply 1593
Original post by ROBBY7896
Hey guys,

I've got a couple of questions if it's ok. Firstly, if you're doing physics, do you do your maths tutorials and lectures with the maths fellows or the physics fellows?
(...)

Cheers,
Robby

I can't answer definitively (I study maths(&comp), not physics) but I'm pretty confident they would be with the physics fellows - there's probably quite a difference in focus (as maths tends to be more proof-based/less applied in general). I've never heard my tutors mentioning having taught physicists.
How hard is it to start a band at Oxford? Also, are there lots of places to play like Waddstock etc and practice? :smile:
Original post by Cromat

depends, some colleges allow you to stay as long as you tell them in advance but it's said that places are limited. for example at Oriel I'm told that we could stay there during term breaks if we had good reasons why. if you're an international student perhaps you should be allowed to.

do check with your college, or wait till you receive the freshers' pack. I've been asking around (to current students) and apparently it's cheaper for me to fly home than to stay in the college. anyway most home students are going home, so yeah...
Original post by Cromat

Nah, you see a lot of people from your college on a daily basis, you get to know each other pretty decently over 8 weeks.
Original post by Cromat

Original post by riotgrrl
Nah, you see a lot of people from your college on a daily basis, you get to know each other pretty decently over 8 weeks.

true ^

and you can try to make friends starting from now through TSR and the Facebook groups. be careful though, if someone happens to dislike you, it might not be very nice when you happen to meet them later at Oxford. just saying.
Hey, couple of rather vague questions but can anyone tell me about:

1. Studying Physics (not stuff on the prospectus like course content etc.)

2. The Queen's College (living costs, etc.)

3. Choral Scholarships and other music opportunities.

I'm meant to be starting this October provided I get the grades :smile:
Original post by natninja
Hey, couple of rather vague questions but can anyone tell me about:

3. Choral Scholarships and other music opportunities.

I'm meant to be starting this October provided I get the grades :smile:

You've probably missed the boat for getting a choral scholarship this year, unless Queen's are short of your vocal group (unlikely, knowing Queen's). You should still be able to audition to sing in the choir but you'd do that as a volunteer, without the scholarship or the gown. Auditions are likely to be during Freshers' Week, so keep your eyes peeled :yes:

As for musical opportunities, there are loads. Queen's is quite a musical college with a very strong mixed chapel choir (though of course, Woosta's is better :ahee: ). There are chances to get involved at uni-wide and college-level. Again, things will be advertised in your first week. Look for the OUMS stand in the Exams School and sign yourself up and take it from there :yep:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending