The Student Room Group

How can I cope with looking younger than my age? Does anyone else have this problem?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Tw1x
Because there's nothing more embarrassing than your boyfriend being asked if his 'daughter' would like an adult or child menu? :tongue:

he gets asked if im his little sister and if i want a child train ticket...
i think it's hilarious :biggrin:
If you're really that upset about it why don't you consider dying your hair? I'm 16 now and my natural colour makes me look my age if not younger but dark hair makes me look about 18/19 in my experience.
Might be a long shot though! It's a good thing though, but I'd you're not happy then that's important too :-)

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I somtimes have this problem as well but just dress how you like and ignore people that ask you for id and if you should be in school, be patient with them, sure can be really irratating but when your like 30 you'll look 20 and love it I bet
My friend has this problem. She's shorter than me (I'm about 5"3/5"4, I'm not that short!!) and is quite skinny. Shopping with her is awful because she gets half her clothes from the kids section and she's quite bossy and likes her own way so she gets annoyed when my friends and I are casually browsing the other clothes. Think it's her bossiness that makes her look a little bit closer to her own age, but I think she does have a bit of trouble from her age. Think of it positively, you can still get child fares on the bus. :wink: But really, apart from carrying ID, there's not much you can do. My aunt got ID'd a while ago when she was in her 30's. :lol:
Original post by Maddy Hurrell
I somtimes have this problem as well but just dress how you like and ignore people that ask you for id and if you should be in school, be patient with them, sure can be really irratating but when your like 30 you'll look 20 and love it I bet

QFT :smile:

I always have to have ID for going out/buying alcohol etc. A few days ago a sales rep knocked on my door and asked if he could speak to the adult of the house.....I'm 29 :redface:
I know how you feel OP,I was with a guy friend at Pizza Hut(we are both 18) and I was given a coloruring book and crayons,I kid you not. The women just put them down and walked away,and I was beaming like the setting sun. It doesn't help he looks about mid twenties,with a beard and is really tall.I'm short and baby faced.I've been teased about it ever since.
Reply 86
Grow a beard. But OP's a girl. :erm:
Reply 87
I'm also worried that people will think I'm a teen mum when I have kids in a few years. I'm 21 too and look about 16ish most of the time, if not younger. :emo:
I have the same problem, I'm 16 yet I'm regularly told I look about 12 (my cousin's fiancee thought I was 11). My height doesn't help either. Like you, I have a round baby face too.
Don't worry about it! Just carry ID around everywhere, have loads of self confidence and think about the benefits in the future :biggrin:
Reply 89
I'm 19 but I look about 14. Honestly, it doesn't bother me, I have my ID on me, and I'm not bothered about showing it. The only real embarrasment I had was being ID'd for a 12 DVD but that happened when I was 16 so I probably looked 12 then lol. Honestly, it's more of a benefit than a hinderance for me, getting in places for less price, like Man United games where I always go under 16.
Reply 90
Original post by cdoyle
whats a blue gem mean?

Neutral rep
I'm 19, and I get ID'd to buy 12 films. Be glad.
I got ID'd buying The Sitter from Sainsburys recently (it's a 15) The guy looked too nervous but obviously wanted to ask to see my ID, so I made it a bit easier for him by asking "you want me to show ID don't you" He looked so embarrassed when he realised I was almost 22. He then said, he had to ask me because I'm "on the verge" :lolwut: I'm guessing that was why he wasn't sure whether to actually ask me my age or not.
Reply 93
Its better to look young but not too young.I am 19 and have been told i look between 14-17 its not to bad i get attention from Men which I think is a little creepy so maybe i don't look that bad.The only thing that annoys me is when people say to you "Oh you look 12" and say it in a nasty tone.
I am 20. I recently got pulled over by a police officer who admitted that there was nothing wrong with my driving, but I looked "way too young to be behind the wheel". This is on top of constantly getting carded at the cinema and convenience stores.

I don't think my face is "round" or I have juvenile features. Perhaps being thin in America just makes people think I'm young? God I'm clueless. Anyway this is me.
Original post by I Kant Spall
I am 20. I recently got pulled over by a police officer who admitted that there was nothing wrong with my driving, but I looked "way too young to be behind the wheel". This is on top of constantly getting carded at the cinema and convenience stores.

I don't think my face is "round" or I have juvenile features. Perhaps being thin in America just makes people think I'm young? God I'm clueless. Anyway this is me.

You look about 19/20 to me. And rather cute too,if you don't mind my saying so :colondollar:
I have this problem, to some extent. I'm 22, but whenever I go to the shops to buy any age restricted products, I always get irrationally a bit nervous. And defensive. I brandish my ID like it's a sword.
Original post by OddThings
You look about 19/20 to me. And rather cute too,if you don't mind my saying so :colondollar:

I appreciate it! Thanks! :colondollar:
May I offer you some very honest advice?

What you have is a blessing, I have it too. Enjoy it while you can, becuase it will not last forever.

One of my biggest regret in life (and I don't have many), is the fact that I was always trying to act and "be" older than my age. Looking back, I now feel that I've wasted so much of my youth doing that.

Be happy with what you have now, especially because looking younger than you are is only a short term "problem" which turns in to a long long term blessing.

Original post by runtoyou
I'm 21, but I look about 14. I dress my age - wear mature, fitted clothes and make up, but no matter what I do I still look like a teen and people give me dirty looks because they think I'm a **** who's trying to look older than her age. Whenever I go to work people ask if I'm old enough to work here or treat me like I'm stupid. I want to have children in a couple of years but I know I'm going to get so many nasty looks and comments because people will think I'm a teen mum.

So I went to the store the other day, to buy Boost Energy Drink.The lady at the counter said I looked too young and didn't let me buy it.I told her I'm 21 and she responded "You look under 16". Also, when I'm having a walk in the park people are always asking me "Shouldn't you be in school?"

I have two sisters (the youngest being 15) but people always mistake me for being the youngest in the family.

I'm getting really depressed about it. I'm happy with my body and I think I'm pretty, but I just look so young and I can hardly do anything without someone commenting on how young I look or thinking that I'm a kid. I just want to look like a woman :/ does anyone have any advice on how to cope with this?

I look young because I'm short (5'1), skinny (weigh just over 7st and can't put on weight) and I have a round, baby face.
My best friend has the same problem: she's 23 but people often think she's under 18. A few weeks ago she went to buy a DVD rated 15 and was asked for ID! But she's used to these things and isn't really bothered any more. I echo what others here have said: you'll get to appreciate it later on when other women your age are gonna look old and wrinkly while you stay young :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest