The Student Room Group

What do you want to know about Cambridge?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by illusionz
Ok well you're an arrogant tosser/unimaginative troll.

Arrogant
, adjective. To have or reveal an exaggerated sense of one's own importance or abilities.

What in my post suggested that I exaggerate my own abilities? I was simply describing my own experience with food.
Original post by karmacrunch
What is HSPS or linguistics like? (Too young to do anything yet :P)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Linguistics is great. :smile: It's really interdisciplinary, so you find yourself doing different things all the time, from writing essays to listening to recordings for dialectic features to solving problem sheets. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.
Original post by honeywhite

Arrogant
, adjective. To have or reveal an exaggerated sense of one's own importance or abilities.

What in my post suggested that I exaggerate my own abilities? I was simply describing my own experience with food.

I find it amusing that after quoting a dictionary you only have the sense to read half the definition. I hope you get rejected.
Original post by illusionz
I find it amusing that after quoting a dictionary you only have the sense to read half the definition. I hope you get rejected.

And the same to you. Besides, I only applied for gits and shiggles. :P
And the same to you.

Already graduated, soz.
Oh, no, I expected colleges to have elaborate meals—that's not why I was surprised at all. In fact, I like it; my lunches at home consist of canard rôti à la Pékinaise. I'm surprised that the menus are in a language as vulgar as English, rather than something more refined, such as Latin or French; it's the epitome of crassness to describe food in English when French will do!

No, what took me aback was the fact that Trinitarians were dining on owl—a species which I would consider entirely inedible, suitable only for display on the wall.

The menu was a joke about a comedic sketch.
Original post by Silkysam
The menu was a joke about a comedic sketch.

Perhaps I really am that out of touch... but then you'd expect that from an Upper Class Twit of the Year candidate like me, wouldn't you. Yeah, I know what I am, so don't take the piss. :P
Reply 5987
Perhaps I really am that out of touch... but then you'd expect that from an Upper Class Twit of the Year candidate like me, wouldn't you. Yeah, I know what I am, so don't take the piss. :P

Twit? I think you misspelt that.
Reply 5988
So far I have had two interviews and both of them have been littered with arithmetical mistakes and have appeared to have gone badly.
Although I am trying my best too improve at talking and doing maths and thinking at the same time, frankly I'm not very good at it.

Could anyone share tips that helped them?

Also what how much negative sway could a bad interview have on a strong paper application?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5989
Original post by Goods
So far I have had two interviews and both of them have been littered with arithmetical mistakes and have appeared to have gone badly.
Although I am trying my best too improve at talking and doing maths and thinking at the same time, frankly I'm not very good at it.

Also what how much negative sway could a bad interview have on a strong paper application?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Slow down. Take an extra five seconds to think about things and don't just rush into an answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5990
Original post by lp386
Slow down. Take an extra five seconds to think about things and don't just rush into an answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Also, once you've had an initial think, start thinking out loud. They want to see how you think and if you're obviously going wrong, they'll probably nudge you back in the right direction to see how you respond. They don't want to know if you can do super hard stuff by yourself already, they want to know if they can teach you to do super hard stuff.
Reply 5991
How are the opportunities as an undergraduate for studying abroad at Cambridge? More specific: at Selwyn, Economics. Is it possible (for anyone) to study a term abroad? And where? Only Europe or do they have partner universities all over the world? I would very much like to know this, their website is not that clear on this, they only mention the Erasmus programme.
Original post by Graaftel
How are the opportunities as an undergraduate for studying abroad at Cambridge? More specific: at Selwyn, Economics. Is it possible (for anyone) to study a term abroad? And where? Only Europe or do they have partner universities all over the world? I would very much like to know this, their website is not that clear on this, they only mention the Erasmus programme.

I'm pretty sure you can't study abroad unless a) you study MML / AMES and you have to do a year abroad or b) you study Engineering and can go on the MIT exchange.

I don't think you can even do Erasmus with non-language degrees... If you want to work abroad, my advice would be to try and get internships abroad over the summer holiday, I know people who've done that :smile:
Reply 5993
Original post by Topaz_eyes
I'm pretty sure you can't study abroad unless a) you study MML / AMES and you have to do a year abroad or b) you study Engineering and can go on the MIT exchange.

I don't think you can even do Erasmus with non-language degrees... If you want to work abroad, my advice would be to try and get internships abroad over the summer holiday, I know people who've done that :smile:

Thanks for your reply, you are right. I found it, only MML, Law, Engineering and Chemistry undergraduates can apply for the Erasmus programme.

"Other Undergraduates

Due to the nature of the undergraduate Tripos, it is not possible to study outside of Cambridge during your degree."

Original post by Goods

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't stress yourself. Many people who have had "bad" interviews have received an offer, for the simple reason that if the interviewers like you, they'll set you more difficult questions—an easy interview is suggestive of a) a bloody genius, or b) a poor student.

Take joy in your difficult interview; if it's simple arithmetic that threw you off, they'll probably not mind either, as long as there's something happening above the shoulders.
Original post by Goods

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maths interviewers are particularly used to students who find maths more interesting and easier than people. The interview is about how you think through complex or unusual maths problems and is not about personality.
If your paper application is good (Maths UMS>95%) then you may still get an offer because the real sorting is on the results of the STEP exams. Only about half of students make their maths offer.
What is the summer pool?
Original post by Neverme
What is the summer pool?

If you receive an offer but miss it, your college may decide to put you in the summer pool for other colleges to consider. The end result could be
(a) your original college eventually decides to take you back
(b) another college "fishes" you out and gives you a place
(c) no college accepts you and you'll go to your insurance choice/clearing
Original post by blue_rain
If you receive an offer but miss it, your college may decide to put you in the summer pool for other colleges to consider. The end result could be
(a) your original college eventually decides to take you back
(b) another college "fishes" you out and gives you a place
(c) no college accepts you and you'll go to your insurance choice/clearing

This, but it's usually for people who have A*AA but have missed a specific condition of their offer e.g. STEP grades, or who have got an A* in the "wrong" subject. It's not just for anyone missing an offer.
Hey there, applying for Economics at Pembroke for entry in 2014. I understand there is a short maths/stats/economics test before the interview (i assume so they can both test you and see how you cope in a supervision-like situation). I was wondering if anyone here had sat it and could maybe tell me what it was like for them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending