The Student Room Group

What do you want to know about Cambridge?

Scroll to see replies

Is there a lot of bad feeling with Oxford ? I mean like Middlesborough and Newcastle where it can flare up in a nasty way ?
I am an easy going kind of guy but won't stand for any nonsense.
Original post by notnow
Apparently, around the med students, kinda rank

I guess that depends which med students you talk to, all the ones I know are happy and content.
Original post by notnow
Apparently, around the med students, kinda rank

Can't believe I just watched your sig all the way through. I want my time back.
Original post by the bear
Is there a lot of bad feeling with Oxford ? I mean like Middlesborough and Newcastle where it can flare up in a nasty way ?
I am an easy going kind of guy but won't stand for any nonsense.

Nah, we have reciprocal membership with the Oxford Union - it's all pretty civilised. To be honest, I think the college "banter" is worse than the Oxford/Cambridge stuff, and even then it rarely comes up! :wink:
Original post by Tortious
Nah, we have reciprocal membership with the Oxford Union - it's all pretty civilised. To be honest, I think the college "banter" is worse than the Oxford/Cambridge stuff, and even then it rarely comes up! :wink:

thank you so much. i have to keep my nose clean for legal reasons.
Original post by the bear
thank you so much. i have to keep my nose clean for legal reasons.

Oh, I see. I thought this was just another "naive applicant" question! :iiam:
Reply 1186
Original post by Blackspur
I guess that depends which med students you talk to, all the ones I know are happy and content.

dude it was a joke, read the rest of the thread

Original post by TimmonaPortella
Can't believe I just watched your sig all the way through. I want my time back.

but surely it was time well spent :tongue:
Original post by notnow
dude it was a joke, read the rest of the thread

.... :colondollar:
this may sound really stupid but do you have to go the open day? because its cambridge, its going to be the best (or there-abouts). I have already been there with chemistry camp and really enjoyed it so not going to the open day will not affect my chance of getting in?
Original post by louisjevans
this may sound really stupid but do you have to go the open day? because its cambridge, its going to be the best (or there-abouts). I have already been there with chemistry camp and really enjoyed it so not going to the open day will not affect my chance of getting in?

It wouldn't affect your chances at all. I went to as many as I could just because I like being there though (and it's a chance to miss school) - there isn't, however, generally anything very interesting for them to tell you that you won't be able to find online. It might be a good idea to go if you're having trouble picking a college to apply to I suppose

Not attending an open day will not decrease your chances of getting in. However, you should go if you have the means to. You'll have the opportunity to meet the admissions tutor in your subject and perhaps gain some insight into how he might interview applicants. Plus, you'll get the chance to meet nice people and look around the colleges.
Reply 1191

No it won't. But you might find out stuff about College's preferences for stuff. I don't know what you are applying for but in my case I applied for maths but deferred and if I hadn't gone to the open day and found out colleges preferences regarding gap years I would probably have been rejected without interview.

My sister didn't go to an open day and in fact had never been to Cambridge before her interview so I don't think it is important.

Going to one helped me to make a college choice though, I completely changed my mind that day about St Johns and fell in love with Pembroke.

It was also slightly useful to meet the Do S's if only to decide where not to apply. I did ask about choice of A levels and my offer contradicted their advice as my 4th A level wasn't taken into account.
How does the language centre work? I mean, what courses are there, and how much do you pay for them?

And...could someone explain to me exactly how long the terms are? (I've only heard that there are three 2months long and between them there's 1,5months of free time..)

Reply 1194
Original post by zuzia.kru
How does the language centre work? I mean, what courses are there, and how much do you pay for them?

And...could someone explain to me exactly how long the terms are? (I've only heard that there are three 2months long and between them there's 1,5months of free time..)

Funny enough, I've been researching the language centre too
http://www.langcen.cam.ac.uk/courses/courses.php?c=2
General language courses are 15 2-hour sessions, costing £105 atm, available in:
French, German, Spanish, Italian, Russian, Arabic, Mandarin Chinese
Really hope I make my offer lol everything sounds amazing :smile:. On the upside just booked my holiday to Malaga wooo

Well, the exact dates are on the website (note: ignore everything except the table) but there are basically three terms of 8 weeks between early October and mid-June. You can usually stay in college for about a week before and after without incurring any additional charge for accommodation. Easter term, you'll maybe only have lectures for ~4 weeks before exams. Vacations are not (sadly) free time, although obviously more so than during term.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Aesc
Funny enough, I've been researching the language centre too
http://www.langcen.cam.ac.uk/courses/courses.php?c=2
General language courses are 15 2-hour sessions, costing £105 atm, available in:
French, German, Spanish, Italian, Russian, Arabic, Mandarin Chinese

Thank you very much, that helped a lot ! :smile:

Original post by TheUnbeliever
Well, the exact dates are on the website (note: ignore everything except the table) but there are basically three terms of 8 weeks between early October and mid-June. You can usually stay in college for about a week before and after without incurring any additional charge for accommodation. Easter term, you'll maybe only have lectures for ~4 weeks before exams. Vacations are not (sadly) free time, although obviously more so than during term.

thank you too :smile:...so during those vacations you can go home but you should study, right? Do you think it would be possible to work then(at home somewhere)?

Original post by maths134
Really hope I make my offer lol everything sounds amazing :smile:. On the upside just booked my holiday to Malaga wooo

I feel just the same as you, since I got the offer I study all the time to get those grades, and they seem so high, that I'm becoming desperate :P
thank you too :smile:...so during those vacations you can go home but you should study, right? Do you think it would be possible to work then(at home somewhere)?

During the vacations, you'll want to learn the things you were taught but didn't have time to really learn during term and maybe (depending on what you find useful) prepare some sort of condensed revision materials for the past term to make life easier come exam cram time. You will also have some sort of assigned workload from a combination of your director of studies, supervisors, and department.

But having a job away from Cambridge should be fine. I personally wouldn't fancy working full-time, but it comes down to what you can juggle. :smile:
Original post by TheUnbeliever
During the vacations, you'll want to learn the things you were taught but didn't have time to really learn during term and maybe (depending on what you find useful) prepare some sort of condensed revision materials for the past term to make life easier come exam cram time. You will also have some sort of assigned workload from a combination of your director of studies, supervisors, and department.

But having a job away from Cambridge should be fine. I personally wouldn't fancy working full-time, but it comes down to what you can juggle. :smile:

Ok, I get it now..unfortunately I think that I will need some job anyway so I'll just have to manage :smile: What do you study?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending