The Student Room Group

What do you want to know about Cambridge?

Scroll to see replies

Christ's has a gym...
Reply 1581
Fitz also has a gym (some cardio equipment, a few machines (lat pull, leg press, shoulder press, butterfly as far as I remember), dumbbells and a bench. No barbells, sadly.
What kind of questions are used in the HAT?
Reply 1583
Is there time to train? :tongue: (postgrad)
Reply 1584
Original post by Akkuz
What are the gyms like? Does each college have their own? Are they good? (I've applied for Trinity & Selwyn).

Alas, Selwyn's gym is a garage with a couple of rowing machines in it, but the University gym is £40 for an academic year.
Reply 1585
Original post by lp386
Alas, Selwyn's gym is a garage with a couple of rowing machines in it, but the University gym is £40 for an academic year.

I guess it's a decent price for the occasional training.
Original post by lp386

£35, entire year i.e. 365 days.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Surely that's exactly why they want people who have genuine interest in the subject, so that the people don't just play the system, and actually engage with them? I can't see tutors having much interest in the intelligent, industrious and indifferent -- the indifferent don't provide interesting arguments, they just learn what they need to, and for the same reason don't make for interesting supervisees (I'd guess). This in addition to them being more likely to give up and just accept mediocre grades, particularly in the subjects that require long hours.

There is an element of that, but it works the other way as well - people who had a 'genuine interest' can easily get disheartened when the subject doesn't live up to expectations, whereas those with the ability (and perhaps not the interest) can solider on and still produce the work (which is what the majority of supervisors will care about, not having to follow up or spend too much time bothering about a student). The 'indifferent' (of the type you mention) can still produce interesting discussions, because they are able to get through the stuff required for the exams, so supervisors can go beyond in the supervisions, whereas if they couldn't the supervisions will be about the same old boring work that they had to talk everyone else through.

Original post by Hypocrism
The only colleges I know of that have gyms are Emmanuel and John's, but I expect trinity does have a gym. There is also a university gym around Emmanuel, but I've never gone.

Pembroke also has a gym (on-site).
Original post by mevidek
What kind of questions are used in the HAT?

That's Oxford, surely?
How common are remedial classes, especially in arts subjects?
Reply 1590
I've got a few questions for current lawyers :smile:. How many supervisions do you have in a week, and what are you expected to produce for the supervisions? During lectures, what are you meant to do?(:redface: lol I know how silly this must sound)

Cheers in advance :smile:.
Original post by milienhaus
That's Oxford, surely?

I thought that there was also an aptitude test for History in Cambridge?
Original post by muse_of_fire
How common are remedial classes, especially in arts subjects?

Never heard of them. But if you have a kind supervisor you may be able to arrange extra supervisions.
Original post by AK0001
I've got a few questions for current lawyers :smile:. How many supervisions do you have in a week, and what are you expected to produce for the supervisions? During lectures, what are you meant to do?(:redface: lol I know how silly this must sound)

Cheers in advance :smile:.

You'll have 4 supervisions every two weeks -- usually that means 2 per week, if you're unlucky you might get a 3/1 split. I've never heard of anyone having 4 in a week.

Usually you'll get an essay for every second supervision for each subject, but some supervisors give essays every week. It's hard to describe how much reading you have to do for supervisions because it's really up to you.

At lectures you're supposed to take notes :dontknow:
Reply 1594
You'll have 4 supervisions every two weeks -- usually that means 2 per week, if you're unlucky you might get a 3/1 split. I've never heard of anyone having 4 in a week.

Usually you'll get an essay for every second supervision for each subject, but some supervisors give essays every week. It's hard to describe how much reading you have to do for supervisions because it's really up to you.

At lectures you're supposed to take notes :dontknow:

Thanks for that!

Ah I'm dreading my first essay :redface:, I'm pretty sure it will be rubbish lol.

Hmm I guess I'll just have to learn to take notes effectively, do you personally jot things down or use a laptop during lectures?
Original post by AK0001
Thanks for that!

Ah I'm dreading my first essay :redface:, I'm pretty sure it will be rubbish lol.

Hmm I guess I'll just have to learn to take notes effectively, do you personally jot things down or use a laptop during lectures?

Laptop, unless you're an incredibly quick writer you'll struggle to keep up if you try to write. Unless you're really just noting the occasional interesting thought, e.g. if you've already done the reading. Even then, I personally find it distracting to be writing for ages -- that means I'm paying less attention to what's being said.

And I'm sure it will be fine :smile: So have you got an unconditional, or are you just confident?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1596
Laptop, unless you're an incredibly quick writer you'll struggle to keep up if you try to write. Unless you're really just noting the occasional interesting thought, e.g. if you've already done the reading. Even then, I personally find it distracting to be writing for ages -- that means I'm paying less attention to what's being said.

And I'm sure it will be fine :smile: So have you got an unconditional, or are you just confident?

I'm not a particularly fast writer, so laptop it is then!

Haha, I love that comment. I haven't got an unconditional offer, and I'm not confident that I will meet my offer tbh. I was just having a discussion with a former colleague recently, who said that her first essay came back with red crosses all over it! So I was thinking "hmm I wonder what they'll think of my first essay...?" :redface:
Original post by AK0001
I'm not a particularly fast writer, so laptop it is then!

Haha, I love that comment. I haven't got an unconditional offer, and I'm not confident that I will meet my offer tbh. I was just having a discussion with a former colleague recently, who said that her first essay came back with red crosses all over it! So I was thinking "hmm I wonder what they'll think of my first essay...?" :redface:

Well, I don't know about crosses. You'll get comments, and perhaps red ones if your supervisors use red pens, which is good, because that'll tell you how to improve. Your first couple of essays probably won't be amazing, but they can be good.

You'll meet your offer, it'll be fine.

Which college are you going to?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1598
Well, I don't know about crosses. You'll get comments, and perhaps red ones if your supervisors use red pens, which is good, because that'll tell you how to improve. Your first couple of essays probably won't be amazing, but they can be good.

You'll meet your offer, it'll be fine.

What college are you going to?

Yeah I guess it's great that students at Cambridge get to benefit from close scrutiny of their work :smile:.

Thanks, I really hope I do meet my offer, it's gonna be hard though.

I'm hopefully going to be off to Clare, which college are you at?(if you don't mind me asking)
Original post by mevidek
I thought that there was also an aptitude test for History in Cambridge?

I don't actually do history, but this:

http://www.historycambridge.com/default.asp?contentID=652

implies not (or at least rarely), and certainly not a standard test across all colleges like at Oxford. I think they're more bothered about the work samples you submit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending