The Student Room Group

As and A level choices

Delete
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
The subjects are demanding and will require a lot of hard work.

The two Maths subjects are similiar and will not be considered as a individual course at some Universities.

Why not do Psychology/History/Language instead of the further Maths?

You can usually alter your choices even after studying them for a week or two at college.

Good luck!

EDIT: Give advice and your still negged? Wow.
(edited 12 years ago)
If you are smart and hard working then you should be fine. But universities only ask for 3 a levels so I wouldn't do all five because when they give you an offer you might get AAAAA instead of A*AA which was what they asked for. However, Maths and further maths count as 1 subject so you could continue with that.

2) I would take a humanity and this applies for any course they like a mix but not too varied. So you could do Chemistry, Biology, Maths, Further Maths and French or History etc. Just because you don't have the absolute ideal a levels doesn't mean they will rule you out for the course so if you have maths and further maths that will probably be enough for engineering, if you get an interview you just have to persuade them you love the subject etc. But I will say they do like more rounded people so a language or humanity is good to have in there. I would do Chemistry, Maths and Further, Biology (if you prefer medicine to engineering) and then French, German or History etc. Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by anonymous5001
I hope to study medicine at university. However if I don't get medicine I intend to study Engineering after taking a gap year as I am considered good at maths and physics as well. So my choices for A level are Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Further Maths. I am reluctant to drop physics as I want to keep my engineering option open if I don't get medicine. I am hesitant to drop further maths for the same reason .

My queries are
1). Are these choices too much to handle in A level.
2) As I have not taken any humanities subject , will it work against me for medicine admissions ( at Oxbridge and also other unis). UCL clearly states that preference is given to one humanity subjects. Has anyone out there taken these choices and how did it work for you

Please don't direct me to those uni web sites as I have already read the entry requirements and I am still confused

Please help as I have to apply for my A level choices ASAP
Hey, I have taken the exact same A levels (I'm in yr12). I'm assuming you're yr11.

There isn't a huge amount of work, but some of the work can be quite challenging. Especially physics. It will basically all depend on how good you are at maths. Chem/ phys/ math/ f.maths are all very maths-based at A level. Biology is quite a bit more work (but not more than a humanity). Biology and chemistry A2 level (according to my teachers) are a large volume of work. However, this A level combination is really good, because the subjects are all linked and so that decreases the overall amount of work. e.g. you will learn about logarithms in maths and chem.

As for medicine, A levels in chemistry and biology will definitely hit the compulsory requirements for almost any university (you will also need work experience). It's a generally a bad policy to bend what you want to do in order to get into a particular university. So I would say keep your choices unless you're willing to do a humanity for its own sake.

As for engineering, you will need maths, further maths and physics (maybe AS chem).

Generally, I would suggest to just do whatever AS modules interest you, then look at what uni options are open, then look to fit your uni decision with A2. You will do best at what you're interested in, and although there are other factors, universities will only offer places to those who meet the academic requirements. So don't choose A levels you don't really want to do, as that will just make A levels more difficult and less enjoyable.
Why not study Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Physics firstly and then drop Physics after AS.

Then, focus on Biology/Chemistry and Maths for A-levels for medicine. If medicine doesn't work out, get the best grades possible, and then in your gap year ask to go back to college and finish the A2 in Physics and maybe pick up F. Maths?

If you are good enough at Maths, then Further Maths after completing the A-level in Maths will be fine, and A2 Physics should be fine after a year off, as apart from 1 module (which has content covered in M1 and M2) the Physics doesn't require as much AS knowledge (Medical/Nuclear and Astrophysics) compared to the Newtonian Physics.

Have you considered Chem Eng? Its mainly maths with some Chemistry but Physics isn't as important as Maths as an A-level combination.
Just a though.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Llewellyn
Hey, I have taken the exact same A levels (I'm in yr12). I'm assuming you're yr11.

There isn't a huge amount of work, but some of the work can be quite challenging. Especially physics. It will basically all depend on how good you are at maths. Chem/ phys/ math/ f.maths are all very maths-based at A level. Biology is quite a bit more work (but not more than a humanity). Biology and chemistry A2 level (according to my teachers) are a large volume of work. However, this A level combination is really good, because the subjects are all linked and so that decreases the overall amount of work. e.g. you will learn about logarithms in maths and chem.

As for medicine, A levels in chemistry and biology will definitely hit the compulsory requirements for almost any university (you will also need work experience). It's a generally a bad policy to bend what you want to do in order to get into a particular university. So I would say keep your choices unless you're willing to do a humanity for its own sake.

As for engineering, you will need maths, further maths and physics (maybe AS chem).

Generally, I would suggest to just do whatever AS modules interest you, then look at what uni options are open, then look to fit your uni decision with A2. You will do best at what you're interested in, and although there are other factors, universities will only offer places to those who meet the academic requirements. So don't choose A levels you don't really want to do, as that will just make A levels more difficult and less enjoyable.

Thank you all for your responses. Llewelyn What course do you intend to study at University?
Reply 6
Thank you all for your responses. Llewelyn What course do you intend to study at University?

I'm probably going to apply for natural sciences, or maybe maths or physics. There's a lot of great courses out there :smile: My general plan is to go for something that looks interesting to me.

I'm half considering medicine, but the problem is that it is SO competitive and most people have advised me against it because it's a huge gamble to take and a lot of candidates struggle to get even one offer. But if you truly want to go for medicine then definitely go for it.
Reply 7
Original post by Medicina
The subjects are demanding and will require a lot of hard work.

The two Maths subjects are similiar and will not be considered as a individual course at some Universities.

Why not do Psychology/History/Language instead of the further Maths?

You can usually alter your choices even after studying them for a week or two at college.

Good luck!

EDIT: Give advice and your still negged? Wow.

All I can say is I did not do it. I am really grateful for the advice
Reply 8
I did exactly those same subjects last year (I'm year 13 now), and I managed to deal with the workload. Indeed, I spent less time doing homework than many of my friends who took all essay subjects!

My advice would be to do those subjects, bear in mind that your college should let you drop one of your subjects if it gets too much.

If your course is structured such that you do a full A level maths in the first year, then that is ideal because it means that any offers you get will be for only 2 grades rather than the 3 most people have to get! Not sure about medicine, but all my Physics offers have only asked for 2 grades (AA or AB) so far!
Reply 9
Original post by Right Guard 3.D
Why not study Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Physics firstly and then drop Physics after AS.

Then, focus on Biology/Chemistry and Maths for A-levels for medicine. If medicine doesn't work out, get the best grades possible, and then in your gap year ask to go back to college and finish the A2 in Physics and maybe pick up F. Maths?

If you are good enough at Maths, then Further Maths after completing the A-level in Maths will be fine, and A2 Physics should be fine after a year off, as apart from 1 module (which has content covered in M1 and M2) the Physics doesn't require as much AS knowledge (Medical/Nuclear and Astrophysics) compared to the Newtonian Physics.

Have you considered Chem Eng? Its mainly maths with some Chemistry but Physics isn't as important as Maths as an A-level combination.
Just a though.

Is there anyone out there who took these choices and got medicine?
Reply 10
I hope to study medicine at university. However if I don't get medicine I intend to study Engineering after taking a gap year as I am considered good at maths and physics as well. So my choices for A level are Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Further Maths. I am reluctant to drop physics as I want to keep my engineering option open if I don't get medicine. I am hesitant to drop further maths for the same reason .

My queries are
1). Are these choices too much to handle in A level.
2) As I have not taken any humanities subject , will it work against me for medicine admissions ( at Oxbridge and also other unis). UCL clearly states that preference is given to one humanity subjects. Has anyone out there taken these choices and how did it work for you

Please don't direct me to those uni web sites as I have already read the entry requirements and I am still confused

Please help as I have to apply for my A level choices ASAP

Has anyone got medicine with these choices? If so a response from you is appreciated.
I had a friend who went for medicine and took chemistry, biology, maths and further maths and rs. But he was incredibly intelligent got an interview at oxford but he is not so good in interviews and so didn't get in :smile:
Is there anyone out there who took these choices and got medicine?

I know my friend did Maths, Chemistry and Biology and in year 13 he also took a F. Maths AS level. He also had 3 AS levels in German, French and Science in Society (we were made to do the last 2 in year 11)

He got A*A*A*aabb with the a's in F.Maths and SIS.

He got rejected from Cambridge and HYMS but got offers from UCL and Imperial and is now at UCL doing medicine.

I think Chemistry, Biology and Maths is one of the most common A-level combinations for medicine :smile:
Reply 13
If I understand correctly, ideal subs are:
Medicine at uni - Maths, Chemistry, Biology are what unis want to A-Level
Engineering at uni - Maths, Physics and F Maths are what unis want to A-Level.
I myself am doing Maths, Physics and Chemistry to A-Level and French, F Maths to AS-Level, which personally I think sets me up for Engineering but not for Medicine (no Biology at all...)
My mate, on the other hand, is doing Maths, Physics and Chemistry to A-Level and Biology, F Maths to AS-Level which sets him up for either.
What I'm trying to say is I'd recommend you don't do a humanities, you do Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Further Maths for your AS, see hwo you're finding it, and make your decision then as to whether you want to do Eng or Med, to do Eng drop Bio and maybe Chem and to do Med drop Phy and F Maths.
Reply 14
Original post by Mushrooms
If you are smart and hard working then you should be fine. But universities only ask for 3 a levels so I wouldn't do all five because when they give you an offer you might get AAAAA instead of A*AA which was what they asked for. However, Maths and further maths count as 1 subject so you could continue with that.

2) I would take a humanity and this applies for any course they like a mix but not too varied. So you could do Chemistry, Biology, Maths, Further Maths and French or History etc. Just because you don't have the absolute ideal a levels doesn't mean they will rule you out for the course so if you have maths and further maths that will probably be enough for engineering, if you get an interview you just have to persuade them you love the subject etc. But I will say they do like more rounded people so a language or humanity is good to have in there. I would do Chemistry, Maths and Further, Biology (if you prefer medicine to engineering) and then French, German or History etc. Hope this helps :smile:

It is not the case that Maths and further Maths are considered the same subject, Son went to Nottingham with three A's in Maths, F Maths and Physics.
Some universities count maths and further maths as one subject e.g. durham university if you want to do economics they want 4 A2s (if you are doing further maths) because they count maths and further maths as one. I do understand that some universities e.g. Nottingham count them as two. But I think it is just more work :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending