The Student Room Group

The 2012 STEP Results Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by und
:rofl:

That kind of reminds me of one of the answers in this summer's AEA exam. It seemed so weird that I thought it was wrong. Something like an1n1a^{n^{\frac{1}{n-1}}}

I also got confused at it! Got the right answer but it was too weird.
Original post by desijut
churchill mathmos are there on the 25th, with lessons on the 26th 27th 28th

wonder why some colleges get people there earlier..
Original post by maths134

To get their brains going, so that they don't sink completely when lectures start.
Original post by tiny hobbit
To get their brains going, so that they don't sink completely when lectures start.

Then why don't all colleges do it if thats the case :s-smilie:

Because some of them are evil :colone:

Good question!
Original post by desijut
churchill mathmos are there on the 25th, with lessons on the 26th 27th 28th

Same for Trinity Hall. I'll arrive on the 22nd, wanna hang out? :biggrin:

I'm really looking forward to this extra week. I'll get to know a handful of people (too many is kind of intimidating for me) and I'll hopefully have most things sorted out so that I can enjoy freshers'.

Some colleges believe that making people prepared for what's to come lays a good foundation for university study and the students will do better as a result.
Original post by ukdragon37
Some colleges believe that making people prepared for what's to come lays a good foundation for university study and the students will do better as a result.

Now I feel unloved!
Now I feel unloved!

You should :tongue:

No seriously, given that just a few colleges do it it's probably not a big deal...
Now I feel unloved!

Then take the initiative and do some extra work :tongue: There's nobody to hold your hand anymore at university (especially not at Cambridge). So you gotta consciously put extra in if you want extra out.
Reply 5071

Because it's the decision of (and funded by) the individual colleges -- not all of them can afford a whole week's intensive tuition before the start of term!

This might lead you to ask: is it fair that a college's funding should allow their students to be at an advantage? To which I say... no, not really. And the Faculty Board is (meant to be) looking into it, though whether anything comes of it is yet to be seen.
Original post by nuodai
Because it's the decision of (and funded by) the individual colleges -- not all of them can afford a whole week's intensive tuition before the start of term!

This might lead you to ask: is it fair that a college's funding should allow their students to be at an advantage? To which I say... no, not really. And the Faculty Board is (meant to be) looking into it, though whether anything comes of it is yet to be seen.

As far as I know, Trinity does not do it although they're way richer than Churchill, for example.
So it's probably not only the funding, but the individual college's decision.
Reply 5073
Original post by DamoclesAustria
As far as I know, Trinity does not do it although they're way richer than Churchill, for example.
So it's probably not only the funding, but the individual college's decision.

Well yes, that's what I was trying to say. [On a related note, as far as I know, you can expect to have weekly examples classes (as well as supervisions) at Trinity and a few other colleges, but not most.]
Original post by nuodai
Well yes, that's what I was trying to say. [On a related note, as far as I know, you can expect to have weekly examples classes (as well as supervisions) at Trinity and a few other colleges, but not most.]

Ah that gives me an idea. :tongue: I want to supervise next year in a subject which my DoS usually supervises and is probably not going to give up. But I could convince him to allow me to hold example classes in addition to supervisions.
Aha thanks guys =]
i aint been told anything about starting early.....tbh I want to start as late as posssible....making that big p :colone:
Reply 5077
There are obviously a lot of Cambridge applicants on here so I was just wondering which universities you guys applied to in the first place, and what you put as firm/insurance. I'm applying in late September so I really need to decide where to apply before then. :eek:
Original post by Rahul.S
i aint been told anything about starting early.....tbh I want to start as late as posssible....making that big p :colone:

You gonna come London meet thing?

Original post by und
There are obviously a lot of Cambridge applicants on here so I was just wondering which universities you guys applied to in the first place, and what you put as firm/insurance. I'm applying in late September so I really need to decide where to apply before then. :eek:

Choices were Cambridge (firmed and going to), Durham (insurance), warwick (offer i declined), UCL (Offer I declined) and St Andrews (Offer I declined)
Reply 5079
Choices were Cambridge (firmed and going to), Durham (insurance), warwick (offer i declined), UCL (Offer I declined) and St Andrews (Offer I declined)

What made you choose Durham as your insurance over Warwick, UCL and St Andrews?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending