The Student Room Group

The 2012 STEP Results Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Original post by snow leopard
How can one function of x be 'greater than' another function of x? Is it the degree of the polynomials that's under comparison or something else? Sorry for the stupid question.

As Ree69 said, you simply compare the values that the functions can take; not any other of their properties.
One of the simplest examples would be that ex>xe^x > x, where you can call f(x)=ex,g(x)=xf(x) = e^x, g(x) = x, which is true for all xx.

A simple way of showing it.

Spoiler

On another note, it seems that you can get away without showing too much working on such results.
The latest example I could think of is that the "proof" of Young's Inequality was simply "convincing" yourself that it is true. :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 581
Original post by cpdavis
Apologises for delayed response. :colondollar:

When you get there, you get a mentor and you are put into a group of about 12. At the end of the week, you get a graphic tablet and a headset where you then carry on with tuition run by your tutor. These sessions usually consist of you doing a worksheet of about 5/6 questions within the week where you then talk with your tutor via the internet using the graphic tablet and headset. This would usually run till the middle of June. Also before starting you should be receiving a pre lim work sheet from Cambridge with some STEP problems to complete.

Thanks! It sounds like they really want us to get into Cambridge haha.
Reply 582
Original post by cpdavis

When you get there, you get a mentor and you are put into a group of about 12. At the end of the week, you get a graphic tablet and a headset where you then carry on with tuition run by your tutor. These sessions usually consist of you doing a worksheet of about 5/6 questions within the week where you then talk with your tutor via the internet using the graphic tablet and headset. This would usually run till the middle of June. Also before starting you should be receiving a pre lim work sheet from Cambridge with some STEP problems to complete.

hey, hows kings going? :cool:

i was going to ask you about luciano....my school have got me in one of his classes....I remember you last year talking about some luciano guy on the superduper rev thread :tongue: did you find him useful? I've also got into the Cambridge rev school thats why im asking :colondollar:

bless fam
Original post by Rahul.S

i was going to ask you about luciano....my school have got me in one of his classes....I remember you last year talking about some luciano guy on the superduper rev thread :tongue: did you find him useful? I've also got into the Cambridge rev school thats why im asking :colondollar:

bless fam

Hello!

Yeah Kings is going really well (social and grade wise :sexface:) How's prep for exams going?

Hmm, that name seems to ring a bell but at the same time it doesn't :hmmm: Care to give more info on him?

What dates are STEP school?
Reply 584
Original post by cpdavis
Hello!

Yeah Kings is going really well (social and grade wise :sexface:) How's prep for exams going?

Hmm, that name seems to ring a bell but at the same time it doesn't :hmmm: Care to give more info on him?

What dates are STEP school?

Yh im not really fussed about my alevels....just doing STEP :colondollar:

well luciano, warwick? some guy??? I dont know if his actually at Warwick....just trying to remember vaguely a post im sure you did time back.

Cambridge one is 2-6 april :colone:
Original post by Rahul.S
Yh im not really fussed about my alevels....just doing STEP :colondollar:

well luciano, warwick? some guy??? I dont know if his actually at Warwick....just trying to remember vaguely a post im sure you did time back.

Cambridge one is 2-6 april :colone:

In theory, if you get the hang of STEP then A level maths should be easy TBH.

Oh right, I think I remember him and he came on the last day. He did a session which was helpful before Siklos did a final session with us before we all left to go home. I think I was discussing him last year.

There was another tutor there as well. I can't remember his name but he did a lot of the sessions and I found him quite good.

Have you received the pre-lim sheet? EDIT: actually they might send this to you at a later date, so don't worry just yet :tongue:
Reply 586
Original post by cpdavis
In theory, if you get the hang of STEP then A level maths should be easy TBH.

Oh right, I think I remember him and he came on the last day. He did a session which was helpful before Siklos did a final session with us before we all left to go home. I think I was discussing him last year.

There was another tutor there as well. I can't remember his name but he did a lot of the sessions and I found him quite good.

Have you received the pre-lim sheet? EDIT: actually they might send this to you at a later date, so don't worry just yet :tongue:

ah ok...thanks.....sounds like my school have actually arranged something good! :eek:

I want to meet siklos.....some of his solutions need to be checked! :mad2:
Original post by Rahul.S

bless fam

your not going to the classes in ucl starting this friday by any chance?
Original post by Rahul.S

bless fam

You coming to Luciano's lesson on friday?

He teaches me some FM through the further maths support network. Fantastic teacher!
Original post by like_a_star
your not going to the classes in ucl starting this friday by any chance?

Lol take it you'll be there too. TSR meet I thinks!
Original post by TheUltimateProof
Lol take it you'll be there too. TSR meet I thinks!

yep i will :smile: by the looks of it from the names, i will be the only girl :rolleyes:
yep i will :smile: by the looks of it from the names, i will be the only girl :rolleyes:

Hmm well a friend of mine (who is a girl) goes to the same class offer but on a Saturday which started 2 weeks ago, and also there's more girls than boys in my FM class offered through Luciano so you might not be the only one.
Just have to wait and see I guess.

What prep have you done so far?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 592
Original post by cpdavis

Thats... incredible! I'm really impressed that they've built up such wide ranging support for people.
Original post by Rahul.S

I want to meet siklos.....some of his solutions need to be checked! :mad2:

:rofl:
Original post by TheUltimateProof
Hmm well a friend of mine (who is a girl) goes to the same class offer but on a Saturday which started 2 weeks ago, and also there's more girls than boys in my FM class offered through Luciano so you might not be the only one.
Just have to wait and see I guess.

What prep have you done so far?

ohh i guess we will see :smile:

erm ive been working through step I questions so far, so not much :frown: i'm probably going to be the worst one there. what about u?

erm ive been working through step I questions so far, so not much :frown: i'm probably going to be the worst one there. what about u?

Sorry; what are these classes for? STEP?
Original post by safmaster
Sorry; what are these classes for? STEP?

yep :smile: my school offers no support so signed me up for this

omg I'm exactly the same!! I was working with Luciano on Wednesday and he said there wasn't a necessity for too much prior knowledge so I'm sure we'll be fine.
Wow all the support the London Cambridge guys are getting is immense! I've just emailed Warwick now for their weekly sessions LOL. Feel like i'm at the back of the race BIG TIME. >.< This Luciano guy sounds like a boss.
Reply 599
I think someone would create a facebook group for STEP study school people, the ones that will be attending. It would be nice to actually see who will be coming! ( I am too lazy to make it myself :frown: )

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending