The Student Room Group

The 2012 STEP Results Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Xero Xenith
So I started off on STEP 2007 and 2008 papers, just trying to get acquainted with the question style. I've done a lot of them so went on to a new paper... from 1997.

Whereas on the 2007 papers some questions took me a day or so to get perfect, these seem so much easier! I managed STEP I 1997 question 3 in 8 minutes. Eight.

Anyone else had this kinda experience? Is STEP really getting that much harder? :s-smilie:

Yeah I noticed that, STEP 1 1998 q 8 and 9 I did in under 10 mins each but I really struggle with most of the later papers!
Reply 781
Original post by Xero Xenith
So I started off on STEP 2007 and 2008 papers, just trying to get acquainted with the question style. I've done a lot of them so went on to a new paper... from 1997.

Whereas on the 2007 papers some questions took me a day or so to get perfect, these seem so much easier! I managed STEP I 1997 question 3 in 8 minutes. Eight.

Anyone else had this kinda experience? Is STEP really getting that much harder? :s-smilie:

so far I think STEP I has got harder...but STEP II has been the same I think. I reckon if you saw the trick earliar in a question before you would be able to do the questions quicker whereas now the parts which follow become harder.

try q2 step I 1994...I did that in 2 minutes:confused:
I think the consensus is that old papers tended to be much more variable. Some of them were trivial, others were very hard. Seems to be particularly stark amongst the mechanics questions. Dunno, maybe I'm misremembering.
Reply 783
Original post by Rahul.S
so far I think STEP I has got harder...but STEP II has been the same I think. I reckon if you saw the trick earliar in a question before you would be able to do the questions quicker whereas now the parts which follow become harder.

try q2 step I 1994...I did that in 2 minutes:confused:

Yeah this has to be in contention for the easiest STEP question ever. Was the 'trick' to differentiate xxx^x not standard at A-Level then? And really, you get marks for differentiating xax^a (even if its a half mark)? That can't be right...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 784
Original post by shamika
Yeah this has to be in contention for the easiest STEP question ever. Was the 'trick' to differentiate xxx^x not standard at A-Level then? And really, you get marks for differentiating xax^a (even if its a half mark)? That can't be right...

yh it was that question :tongue: I mean it wasnt a bad question....just need some extra stuff to make it longer.

you done STEP?
Reply 785
Original post by Rahul.S
yh it was that question :tongue: I mean it wasnt a bad question....just need some extra stuff to make it longer.

you done STEP?

Nah - chickened out and went to Imperial instead (this was when Imperial didn't require STEP)
Reply 786
The syllabus for STEP III includes 'marginal and conditional distributions'.

I am wondering if anyone knows any questions based on this. I didn't do A-Levels so have no idea of what level of knowledge is expected. :smile:
Reply 787
Is anyone else really panicking about STEP or is it just me??!
Just noticed in Siklos' booklet, for a volume of revolution question, rotating about the y-axis he uses the integral of 2*pi*y*x dx, haven't seen this before, when can it be used?
Original post by marcus2001
Just noticed in Siklos' booklet, for a volume of revolution question, rotating about the y-axis he uses the integral of 2*pi*y*x dx, haven't seen this before, when can it be used?

That seems wrong - it's usually 2πx2dy \int{2 \pi x^2 dy}.

Wikipedia says otherwise, but I'm too tired/full/lazy to make sense of it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid_of_revolution#Cylinder_method
Reply 790
If it is the question I have in mind, then the disks method would work, but you need split it into two parts.
However, the method of shells is quite common, and it is part of our A-level syllabus as well. (I think)

The disk method is πaby2(x) dx\pi \int_{a}^{b} y^2(x)\ dx, and it seems that it is not available in the formulae book.

EDIT: Doh, didn't pay enough attention to the limits of integration.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by sianem
Is anyone else really panicking about STEP or is it just me??!

me :frown:
Reply 792
Original post by marcus2001

It might be very likely that it is only valid for that particular case?

Volume of a revolution is usually given by the integral pi*y^2*dx
or by the integral pi*x^2*dy
Original post by fruktas
It might be very likely that it is only valid for that particular case?

Volume of a revolution is usually given by the integral pi*y^2*dx
or by the integral pi*x^2*dy

There is another method...
Okay, thanks guys, I wasn't previously aware of the 'disc' method and 'cylinder' method - they're definitely not on my specification.

In the Wikipedia article there is a case when using the cylinder method where the volume of revolution is given by 2*pi*y*x which is what Siklos must have used.

Only thing I haven't really grasped is when to use each method, the examples from the article aren't too clear?
Reply 795
Original post by like_a_star
me :frown:

Everyone seems to be actually getting somewhere with it...and I'm...not!:confused:

Still on STEP II questions, haven't really moved on to STEP III yet...are you going to the STEP school?
Reply 796
anyone knows a good starting place for Mechanics in STEP III....aka which year's paper?
Original post by Rahul.S
anyone knows a good starting place for Mechanics in STEP III....aka which year's paper?

You finished M3-M5?
Reply 798
Original post by safmaster
You finished M3-M5?

not completely.....
Original post by Rahul.S

2000 Q9 and 10 were relatively simple. I don't think you'll be able to do Q11 without knowing some stuff about rotational dynamics.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending