The Student Room Group

The 2012 STEP Results Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

all this talk about BMO and IMO lol

STEP is enough for now.....I would of loved to have done BMO....but my school don't enter me :mad2:
Original post by Rahul.S
all this talk about BMO and IMO lol

STEP is enough for now.....I would of loved to have done BMO....but my school don't enter me :mad2:

It costs less than a STEP paper! I tried to get in this year through UKMT but ended up with a low gold. -.-
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Dog4444
http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/Forum/resources.php?c=1&cid=16&year=2011&sid=f22d1ccbeda0537211759ba8767782d7
Q2?

I can't even understand it. You should try some more, you might have a talent. :rolleyes:

I was honestly just scrambling for ideas and the first thing I thought of worked...

Spoiler

I know that in general, I'm not 'creative' enough for problem solving - for me its more about spotting patterns in stuff I've seen before, which becomes easier obviously the more you see :smile:
Original post by hassi94
Well you automatically get into the BMO1 free if you do well enough on Senior UKMT. Otherwise, you can pay a small fee to enter. Then the top people from BMO1 go to BMO2. Then top people on BMO2 get selected to try out for the IMO team I think.

You get invited to maths camp :tongue:
this thread is quiet today :tongue: must mean everyone is busy doing STEP :colone:

a general question to ask.......is "by symmetry" an acceptable reason for a step question....like in vectors etc.
Original post by Rahul.S
this thread is quiet today :tongue: must mean everyone is busy doing STEP :colone:

a general question to ask.......is "by symmetry" an acceptable reason for a step question....like in vectors etc.

I use this often. I can't see any reason why not as long as your system is symmetrical and that it is either obviously symmetrical or you have shown it to be so. Also, be careful of trivialising problems...
This comes up in probability quite a lot for example when removing balls from urns it seems obvious to me that the system has no bias.
Reply 1646
Anyone doing m4 edexcel here?
Reply 1647
Original post by Az_016
Anyone doing m4 edexcel here?

Yo (I am in case the "yo" doesn't make sense :P)
Original post by ben-smith
I use this often. I can't see any reason why not as long as your system is symmetrical and that it is either obviously symmetrical or you have shown it to be so. Also, be careful of trivialising problems...
This comes up in probability quite a lot for example when removing balls from urns it seems obvious to me that the system has no bias.

yh when I was doing a few probability questions before my interview....like the one on the Trinity interview specimen paper....I remember there was symmetry involved. Although, for STEP Im mainly referring to pure questions like vectors usually. I will bear in mind about not trivializing the problem....thanks g :cool:
Reply 1649
Original post by Rahul.S
thanks g :cool:

:lol:.
Original post by Rahul.S
yh when I was doing a few probability questions before my interview....like the one on the Trinity interview specimen paper....I remember there was symmetry involved. Although, for STEP Im mainly referring to pure questions like vectors usually. I will bear in mind about not trivializing the problem....thanks g :cool:

Do you have any idea what we're suppose to know to manage test/interview stats/probability questions?
Reply 1651
Original post by SParm
Yo (I am in case the "yo" doesn't make sense :P)

In the shm chapter, Could u please explain why the air resistance is in the same direction as the tension? Shouldn't it be acting down, in the direction of the particle's weight seen as air resistance opposes motion?

Thanks
Original post by Dog4444
Do you have any idea what we're suppose to know to manage test/interview stats/probability questions?

I just polished up my probability stuff.....did few STEP questions etc.

its a good job I did as half the questions I did for my Trinity test were statistics questions :tongue:
Original post by Rahul.S
I just polished up my probability stuff.....did few STEP questions etc.

its a good job I did as half the questions I did for my Trinity test were statistics questions :tongue:

So, whole STEP stats syllabus?
Doing a semi-timed paper at the moment (by semi-timed I mean I'm counting to 3 hours but taking a break mid-way through), currently attempted and done (correctly) 3 questions in 1 hour 50 minutes.
Original post by Dog4444
So, whole STEP stats syllabus?

I just attempted any probability ones......I didnt look at the spec. Also, I did alot of factorial stuff......like combinations, permutations etc. Theres a good ques on that on the Trinity spicemen paper.....q1 I think.
Original post by hassi94
Doing a semi-timed paper at the moment (by semi-timed I mean I'm counting to 3 hours but taking a break mid-way through), currently attempted and done (correctly) 3 questions in 1 hour 50 minutes.

Nice one, what STEP? :smile:

Original post by Dog4444

For the King's test, it didn't go beyond S1, and I think even that was just a single question requiring a tree diagram. But it's worth pointing out that I had to do extra reading - chunks of FP2/FP3. (Stats was not priority.)

Actually, I should really say that they don't expect you to know anything unreasonable. They know you're midway through your course. If you get asked a question in the interview/test on a subject you haven't covered, you wouldn't be disadvantaged for saying/writing "We haven't covered that yet"!
Original post by Xero Xenith

For the King's test, it didn't go beyond S1, and I think even that was just a single question requiring a tree diagram. But it's worth pointing out that I had to do extra reading - chunks of FP2/FP3. (Stats was not priority.)

Actually, I should really say that they don't expect you to know anything unreasonable. They know you're midway through your course. If you get asked a question in the interview/test on a subject you haven't covered, you wouldn't be disadvantaged for saying/writing "We haven't covered that yet"!

Step II 1997 finished with 5 and a half solutions (well 6 but one of the second halves was wrong).
Reply 1658
Original post by Xero Xenith

In one of my interviews, all the questions involved knowing just one simple relationship which a primary school kid would understand. Yet some parts were insanely difficult (i.e. I know no offer holder so far who managed to complete it unaided). In the second interview however, fp2/3 knowledge was assumed for some Qs (same case for friends having college tests at Churchill, Cam). IMO fp2/3 in interviews is acceptable, but in college tests is unfair (as some students will have an unfair advantage, and a lot of the further pure stuff is quite trivial in interviews). Especially when some pupils are still finishing c3/4 topics, and there is no mention of reading ahead for interview preparation anywhere.
Original post by hassi94
Step II 1997 finished with 5 and a half solutions (well 6 but one of the second halves was wrong).

Very nice! :smile: I'd suggest trying your hand at a later paper - 2007 or 2008 maybe, just so you know where you stand with those too.

Original post by twig
In one of my interviews, all the questions involved knowing just one simple relationship which a primary school kid would understand. Yet some parts were insanely difficult (i.e. I know no offer holder so far who managed to complete it unaided). In the second interview however, fp2/3 knowledge was assumed for some Qs (same case for friends having college tests at Churchill, Cam). IMO fp2/3 in interviews is acceptable, but in college tests is unfair (as some students will have an unfair advantage, and a lot of the further pure stuff is quite trivial in interviews). Especially when some pupils are still finishing c3/4 topics, and there is no mention of reading ahead for interview preparation anywhere.

This is true. However, I don't think the tests are used in a purely quantitative sense - having a higher mark than the next guy doesn't guarantee that he didn't find a nice solution to a problem you did in an ugly way. They check the scripts for things like that, I think.

Basically, for any pre-interview geezas reading this - just do your best. If you have the right spark, and a way to show it, they'll realise. Your application doesn't have to be perfect, and screwing up on one of the many opportunities they give you to show your spark is not the end of the world. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending