The Student Room Group

Medical School Prospectuses

I've just been going to different websites for the past few hours ordering prospectuses and lookin up different medical schools individually.

My problem is, it's difficult comparing universities and what they want in a medical student.

Does anyone know of anywhere i can order a book or full prospectus which contains information on lots of different medical schools.. which would make it easier to compare and assess universities? Thanks very much.
Reply 1
There is a book called The Insider's Guide to UK Medical Schools produced by the BMA I have seen it recomended but never looked at it myself.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1405131047/026-1741222-6807653
Reply 2
you're better off going to the open days for choosing a uni.
Reply 3
yeah its quite tricky gotta think about the city n stuff and the course, do u want pbl or not, do u want to do dissection or not, and other stuff. so to be on the safe side just come to leeds, its gud.
Reply 4
aww shame its not for free lol.

ill have to give that try. does anybody know any others as well just for the record?
Reply 5
The BMA one is probably the best - written by medical students. The entries are prepared by the individual student association/med school union presidents so are usually a good reflection.

Otherwise, going to the open days is the only way you can get a feel for the place - and then you sometimes only get to see what they want you too, and not the whole picture...
Reply 6
Fluffy
The BMA one is probably the best - written by medical students. The entries are prepared by the individual student association/med school union presidents so are usually a good reflection.

Otherwise, going to the open days is the only way you can get a feel for the place - and then you sometimes only get to see what they want you too, and not the whole picture...

I second that. Though open days are very useful I felt that the BMA book was really informative. It is straightforwardly written and addressed all the major questions I had.
Its hard to initially chose which universities to apply to from books with all of the medical schools in them since if you read them all many will sound very similar.

What I'd say is write down what you particularly want from your medical school. Would you prefer a medical school that is in a big city or smaller community? What sort of course would you prefer? Are you more interested in a more academic course or one which is more patient/hospital based. Looking at your grades and general application form (Im not talking about you in particular but anyone in general) what sort of level of medical school are you going to aim for? Although all medical schools are hard to get into some are more so than others and the emphasis that they put on A level grades varies.

Cut down the long list of medical schools to about 10-15 which you think fit your criteria. Then start reading the prospectuses, the insiders guide, going to open days, to cut down your choices to the four you are going to apply to.

Thats just my advice and that is the way I went about it :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending