The Student Room Group

Any Advice for First Day at University?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
don't turn up with about 15 of your mates from home and drink and trash the flat before going out and leaving the place a mess, before even properly talking to everybody else in the flat, like one of my flatmates did.
Needless to say none of us paid much attention to him after that, well we tried, but the fact he repeated his actions a few more times only made us dislike him more.

He sort of calmed down by just before christmas, and spoke to us without seeming like he was going to beat the **** out of us. But I haven't seen him since before christmas, he could of left uni, i wouldn't even know.
Reply 21
Got that tip... Don't be an arrogant douche... check :P
Reply 22
Best advice I could give is that you should just get in there straight the way! The longer you hold back on talking to people the harder it will be in future to talk to them, and as you're shying away circles of friends are being created without you in it
Reply 23
Original post by Alex Williams
Wow! Thanks!
I love the tip about making assumptions, it sounds interesting and different! How to people usually react to them sort of statements

First of all thats for making convo with girls. Just dont be insulting but more rediculous and obvious you are joking. Its just good for starting a convo before you find something in common. Also helps with girls who are shy (more shy girls at uni then guys, especially if they havent been away from home) and it has the added benefit of making them feel more welcome. Thats what i tried to do anyway, be welcoming to everyone and it helps make everyone relax and be themselves more
With guys its more 'banter' aka making a dig at someone for something they said/have/did. For example my flat mate was drinking famous grouse (old mans whisky) on the first day, so i kept digging him about it every time he was thinking about what drink he was going to buy in clubs.

Basically you use 'assumptions' (any assumption about anything) and banter (not making fun of someones appearence however!) just to make convo before you find common ground with someone. Not saying that you should instantly make an assumption or go straight into banter with someone as some people might find it offensive but you can tell when its the right situation to use those convo starters.
Reply 24
I see... sounds like an interesting idea, I'll try it out :smile:
Reply 25
Any other advice??
Generally just go with the flow and don't be a ****.
Expect to be exhausted! Seriously, depending on how far you have to drive or how early you need to leave, how much stuff you're taking, how far you need to carry it from the car, unpacking etc etc it is a tiring day. All my flat were in bed before midnight on the first night but freshers is good :smile: Just talk to people is the best advice, even people you see in your freshers week intros, on random benches around campus, outside your flats. Anyone. As a flat introduce yourself with the flats on your floor (easy for us, in our lobby bit there was only our flat and one other - ground floor life.) um, if you're passing a party just go grab a drink and join in. Take people's numbers, text once or twice and see if they're out.

Also, I'm one of those people with a few different groups of people and I think it's fine to be one as long as you have a few closer people and not just groups.
This question is mainly out of intrigue, but how do relationships generally form in the first year. It seems old how people pair up within a couple of months of term?:s-smilie:
Reply 29
Original post by Tsunami2011
This question is mainly out of intrigue, but how do relationships generally form in the first year. It seems old how people pair up within a couple of months of term?:s-smilie:

There's only one new "couple" from my group. The rest of us are still in old relationships or have split up. Mind you, nearly 2 more terms left :smile:

Mostly through halls because that's the only real place you meet people in the first term or two, i don't know a single person with a good group of friends from their course or societies because we haven't had enough time around each other yet. Loads of couples have formed in my hall and they're all people from the same friendship group. My group is quite big and we've only got 1 couple who are ''official'' and another who are probably going to reach that stage soon. A lot of people are in LDR's and then you've got us singletons :sad: It's only been 1 term though, plenty of time for us to find someone!

One of my friends at another uni met her boyf in a club in Freshers but i think she got lucky, i wouldn't say that's a particularly good place to look for a relationship. I guess some people meet through their course too, thats where i met the girl i'm interested in :smile:
Original post by sr90
Mostly through halls because that's the only real place you meet people in the first term or two, i don't know a single person with a good group of friends from their course or societies because we haven't had enough time around each other yet. Loads of couples have formed in my hall and they're all people from the same friendship group. My group is quite big and we've only got 1 couple who are ''official'' and another who are probably going to reach that stage soon. A lot of people are in LDR's and then you've got us singletons :sad: It's only been 1 term though, plenty of time for us to find someone!

One of my friends at another uni met her boyf in a club in Freshers but i think she got lucky, i wouldn't say that's a particularly good place to look for a relationship. I guess some people meet through their course too, thats where i met the girl i'm interested in :smile:

Ah thanks that cleared things up. I'd find it quite odd being in a relationship with someone who potentially lived a door away from me:tongue: I still can't believe the amount of contact time you get, I thought 12hrs was little, I suppose it'd be near impossible to make meaningful friends in lectures. I guess then halls are basically where you're most likely to make friends in the short term?

I hope it works out for you, you must keep TSR informed:wink:
Ah thanks that cleared things up. I'd find it quite odd being in a relationship with someone who potentially lived a door away from me:tongue: I still can't believe the amount of contact time you get, I thought 12hrs was little, I suppose it'd be near impossible to make meaningful friends in lectures. I guess then halls are basically where you're most likely to make friends in the short term?

I hope it works out for you, you must keep TSR informed:wink:

12 hours? I'd love to have that much lol, i have 6 hours this year and only 3 of them are for my actual degree! I think i had 15 hours in Year 13 and i thought that wasn't enough :laugh: There are a lot of people who i'm on friendly terms with - we'll say hi when we see each other, we'll have a brief conversation, i've got them on facebook etc, but that's it. Theres only this girl who i know on any real level :tongue: Even the most sociable people i know have barely met anyone on their course because there just isn't any time to develop anything. I don't know if it'll get better in 2nd or 3rd year, i think it may do as classes are smaller etc.

Well she's way out of my league so i don't rate my chances :sad: but you don't know unless you try do you?
Original post by sr90
12 hours? I'd love to have that much lol, i have 6 hours this year and only 3 of them are for my actual degree! I think i had 15 hours in Year 13 and i thought that wasn't enough :laugh: There are a lot of people who i'm on friendly terms with - we'll say hi when we see each other, we'll have a brief conversation, i've got them on facebook etc, but that's it. Theres only this girl who i know on any real level :tongue: Even the most sociable people i know have barely met anyone on their course because there just isn't any time to develop anything. I don't know if it'll get better in 2nd or 3rd year, i think it may do as classes are smaller etc.

Well she's way out of my league so i don't rate my chances :sad: but you don't know unless you try do you?

I'm actually a pre-fresher, but have been eagerly checking up on my course! 12hrs seems like a decent amount compared to some. I'm just crossing my fingers and hoping that I get a sociable halls!

Give it a shot mate NOONE is out of anyone's league, I think its often fairly easy to see whether a girl sees you in 'that' way. If she doesn't have any lads circling round her at the moment, I'd just give it a shot, its better to try, than to see in her with another guy in second year, and rue your missed opportunity. I'd say do it when you're drunk, so at least you have that excuse:tongue:
Reply 34
Be yourself, no pretense, no lies

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending