The Student Room Group

PPE personal statement

Hi, I'm currently in year 12 and I'm looking for things I can do for my personal statement over the next year for a PPE course at uni. Does anyone have any ideas?
(edited 5 months ago)
Have you looked into the topics covered in modules at each of your possible universities?

Spending time to find out more about the topics that you find interesting is the best way to build your PS. You will be able to express genuine enthusiasm for your subject.

Start with course/module descriptions and then look for online lectures, MOOCs, documentaries, podcasts etc.
Original post by purplepenguin4
Hi, I'm currently in year 12 and I'm looking for things I can do for my personal statement over the next year for a PPE course at uni. Does anyone have any ideas?

Hi,

I would recommend speaking to past or current students of your interested courses through platforms such as UniBuddy to see what they would recommend putting on a PS. It will also allow you to ask them any questions you may have about the course and its study methods and get a first-hand insight into the course.

I would also attend open days and taster days for the universities that you are interested in to get the opportunity to speak to current students and academics about the course and what extra-curricular activities would best aid your application.

I hope this is of some assistance and I wish you the best of luck with your studies!

Mary
London South Bank University Student Rep (3rd-year Children's Nursing)
Original post by LSBU
Hi,

I would recommend speaking to past or current students of your interested courses through platforms such as UniBuddy to see what they would recommend putting on a PS. It will also allow you to ask them any questions you may have about the course and its study methods and get a first-hand insight into the course.

I would also attend open days and taster days for the universities that you are interested in to get the opportunity to speak to current students and academics about the course and what extra-curricular activities would best aid your application.

I hope this is of some assistance and I wish you the best of luck with your studies!

Mary
London South Bank University Student Rep (3rd-year Children's Nursing)

Current students are unlikely to have any insight into what admissions staff are looking for in a PS.

Based on what we see on TSR they’re likely to offer extremely unhelpful and misleading advice
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by PQ
Current students are unlikely to have any insight into what admissions staff are looking for in a PS.

Based on what we see on TSR they’re likely to offer extremely unhelpful and misleading advice

Hey @PQ ,

I think students can give important insight into their experience writing their own personal statements, especially those who work as student ambassadors and with admissions such as some of ours, but of course it's best to use a range of resources/advice.

However, I can appreciate the importance of providing accurate information to prospective applicants and agree with your advice of researching subjects and course content as a starting point.

@purplepenguin4 we have multiple personal statement webinars happening through to January which you may find helpful to start your journey - you can book here if so. To add to this, my personal advice as someone who works in admissions is try not to make your personal statement an info dump of everything you know about your subject/course - showing enthusiasm is amazing but we want to know about you and how your motivation/experience makes you right for the course.

Let us know if you have any other questions, we'd be happy to help!

All the best,
Rachel
LSBU Admissions

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending