The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by Mariah246
This paper made me sick.

LOL. :biggrin:
Reply 381
Original post by gandhi1
Can some one tell me how many marks I will lose for getting the area of the triangle wrong my working out was the same accept for one bit would I lose 2 or 3 marks my working out was 0.5 x 4 x root52

Probably just one provided you got the length AC as 52/3 then made a mistake. If you got length as root 52 then 2 marks.
Reply 382
Original post by intellectual1
Observations and discussions with those that have achieved high scores and sat C1 alongside their IGCSE/GCSE etc and I do type quick and think well :biggrin:
It was'nt easy for those wanting to achieve 90 - 100 UMS either. There was alot of emphasis on graph sketching which was rather unusual. Those questions towards the end certainly distinguished between candidates. Perhaps we can expect more of the 'deep thinking' style of questions in S1, M1, C3, C4 this Winter too :rolleyes: The 'intensity' of the Winter exam dates is incredible...some of my friends have exam after exam with hardly any break at all...the Summer dates are much more nicely spaced out etc Alot of people found the papers more difficult than past papers too...however it is also clear most resit C1, C2 to boost their UMS scores before certificating etc

I dont think there was too much for graphs, just 1 question on transformations, 1 question on area and gradient, 1 question on integration with graphs, thats fair as one should have revised for all 3!
Reply 383
In my opinion and im sure many of you agree that this exam was a lot harder than June 2011
The Grade boundaries for June 11 were: A - 58
B - 51
C - 44
D - 37
E - 30
So they should lower the grade boundaries further for this year, so is it a possibility you may only need 48/49 for a B?
Original post by Arsey
if... :rolleyes:

oh I'm not doubting you... it was just a figure of speech! :biggrin: in fact the only difference between my answers and your is I forgot to show where the curve graph with k and k-2 crosses the y axis. Everything else was exactly the same. If that's all I get wrong I will be over the moon... :biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 385
Original post by d3liv3ryguy
On Question 6 I messed up the x co-ordinate for C, this then meant that I got the wrong answer for the area of the ABC triangle (which was the focus of Part C.)
Can anyone tell me how many marks I may have lost on this question? Would I be allowed consequential marks as I did everything else correctly
Thanks

Anyone?

yes you will get follow through marks you might loose one or two marks bt not more than that.
Reply 386
Answers to all of the questions:
They are all right as far as I know.
1.a.4x^3+3x^-1/2
b.x^5/5+4x^3/2+c
2.a.7root under 2
b.3root under2-2
3.a.x>4
b.x<-2 and/or x>6
4a.a+5
b.a^2+5a+5
c.a=4 or a= -9
5.a. evaluate to make 2x^2-5x+4
b^2=25 4ac=32
so discriminant=b^2-4ac = -7
so no real roots.
b. graph one bucket shape facing down crossing x-axis at (0,0) and (5,0)
and a straight line crossing y-axis at (0,2) and x-axis at (-4/5,0)
6.a.gradient=2/3
b.y=-3/2x+4
c. area=52/3
7.f(1)=5/2
8.a.3x^2+4x
b.cubic graph crosses x-axis at (-2,0) and (0,0)
c.when x=0 the gradient is 0
when x=-2 then gradient =4
d.cubic curve crosses x-axis at (k,0) and (k-2,0)
and y-axis at (0,2k^2-k^3)
9.a.10P+90T
b.T=400
c.P=24 450
10.a.A(1/2,0)
b.gradient of tangent= -1/4
gradient of normal=4
equation is y= -1/4x+1/8
c. coordinate of B(-8,17/2)
Original post by Mr Tough
I dont think there was too much for graphs, just 1 question on transformations, 1 question on area and gradient, 1 question on integration with graphs, thats fair as one should have revised for all 3!

Very true, if you had prepared well, then you'd have succeeded in achieving a good grade. Although it is now obvious that the examiners are setting questions which certainly require more deep thought and understanding.
They seem to be doing this across the board - I like the way things our going; it stops teachers from being able to simply teach formulae parrot-fashionedly.
Is it true that if you write 2 answers the examiner will give you marks for the correct one?
Original post by TheHaylio
Is it true that if you write 2 answers the examiner will give you marks for the correct one?

No I heard you get 0 marks if you have two answers.
Original post by TheHaylio

You won't get zero, you will get all the method marks if right, but you will lose all accuracy marks then you will lose a mark for extra solutions
what does everyone think the grade boundries will be?
Original post by pepeeglesfield
what does everyone think the grade boundries will be?

what do u think by the way??? i am having a feeling that the grade boundary would get lower cz many of the students had a lot of pressure on themselves...........especially on 13th january 2012........in which there were two to three papers in one day..........:eek:

and i believe that was not the case in the june 2011 paper..........so lets just hope the grade boundary lowers to 56..... for an A......or 80 ums:smile:
Reply 394
Original post by 101101
to show the lines do not intersect, i put the numbers into the quadratic formula and showed that you got a square root of a negative number, showing there is no real solutions -.-

Thats exactly wot i did. wot did u get the area of the triangle
Nooooooooooo

my area was 72/3 i wouldve got 100%

i must have made a dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb mistake. Arrghh sooo pissed offfffff
Reply 396
For question 1, part b, I put "y=" and then my integrated equatio (correct), will I lose any marks because I put "y="? I know its such a stupid mistake!
Original post by intellectual1
Observations and discussions with those that have achieved high scores and sat C1 alongside their IGCSE/GCSE etc and I do type quick and think well :biggrin:
It was'nt easy for those wanting to achieve 90 - 100 UMS either. There was alot of emphasis on graph sketching which was rather unusual. Those questions towards the end certainly distinguished between candidates. Perhaps we can expect more of the 'deep thinking' style of questions in S1, M1, C3, C4 this Winter too :rolleyes: The 'intensity' of the Winter exam dates is incredible...some of my friends have exam after exam with hardly any break at all...the Summer dates are much more nicely spaced out etc Alot of people found the papers more difficult than past papers too...however it is also clear most resit C1, C2 to boost their UMS scores before certificating etc

Have to agree with you on the intensity part. Some of my friends have had 3 exams in 2 days. Thats harsh! But nonetheless, i think that teachers are not teaching maths correctly, rather teaching what the students need to know. Myself for example, did not know what differentiating did or what integrating was for, until recently. And often the 'deep thinking' questions are logical, if the students actually know why they are differentiating etc. My opinion anyways :smile:
Original post by interpolation
Have to agree with you on the intensity part. Some of my friends have had 3 exams in 2 days. Thats harsh! But nonetheless, i think that teachers are not teaching maths correctly, rather teaching what the students need to know. Myself for example, did not know what differentiating did or what integrating was for, until recently. And often the 'deep thinking' questions are logical, if the students actually know why they are differentiating etc. My opinion anyways :smile:

Totally agree with everything you said. Winter exams are intense, I had 3 sciences+maths within 3 days of each other, was literally coming out of exams, and revising for the next exam while crying about how bad I did, then coming out of the next exam and revising for the next while crying about how bad I did and so forth. Worst exam season ever, I dont think I touched a game or watched TV.

And yeah, it seems people dont teach mathematics, they teach exam maths, which is hugely dangerous and bad, since as soon as they come across a style of question theyre teacher hasnt monkey trained them to do, they fall flat on their faces. My school especially is quite bad at this, our lessons basically consist of exam question, after exam question, after exam question. Very little teaching of mathematical concepts.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Jammy4410
You won't get zero, you will get all the method marks if right, but you will lose all accuracy marks then you will lose a mark for extra solutions

:O

My teacher told me i would get all the marks! What the....... :'(

Latest

Trending

Trending