The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

This exam was just awful. I really hope the grade boundaries are low!
I'm sure you could either use the discriminant or try to actually factorise it using completing the square or the quadratic formula. I used completing the square and got x to be a negative square root, then I explained that it was impossible therefore there was no solutions. Something like this should be good enough.
Reply 62
Hated this paper!!!
How many bloody graphs were there in one paper?! MEH..

I'm glad it wasn't only me who thought it was hard..

:frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 63
Original post by Bright
Hated this paper!!!
How many bloody graphs were there in one paper?! MEH..

only 3. Most years there are 2/3. I think you are write that a lot more coordinate gemeotry came up but that means boundaries will be low.
Reply 64
Original post by otrivine

because when i applied the quadratic it was negative square root therefore maths error and i said that shows that the lines do not intersect

thats what i did. :biggrin:
Reply 65
Original post by Mr.cool
Personally this paper shouldn't have been hard. Its just edexcel do not make enough exams like this so people assume c1 is going to be easy and requiring no though.

yhhh thats very true! thats exactly what i was thinking last year, and then i ended up getting 56 for c1 nd 79 for c2 loool
learned my lesson!!

how hard do u think c2 was and what do u think grade boundary will be like?? i m guessing around 60 for an A?
Reply 66
Original post by arnab
yhhh thats very true! thats exactly what i was thinking last year, and then i ended up getting 56 for c1 nd 79 for c2 loool
learned my lesson!!

how hard do u think c2 was and what do u think grade boundary will be like?? i m guessing around 60 for an A?

C2 was easier than normal. C1 was harder than normal. C2 i guess A grade will be 63ish. C1 i guess A grade will be 56ish.
I believe I got 93%.
**** how can I get question 2 b wrong. Method is right just the final answer.
Reply 68
i solved it using quadratic forumula then stated that the line do not intersect ?

You need to prove they don't intersect by proving there no solution for the quadratic using the discriminant.
Reply 69
I got a lot of questions wrong, I'm praying on some method marks, ugh. :frown:
Reply 70
I dropped 10-15 marks on that damn paper :| anyone could predict my grade/ ums?
From what I've seen, C2 was a tougher paper than last time (Summer 2011), and that time an A was 61-62. This time I'd expect it to be 58-60.
Since some people found it hard, I'd say that maybe around 55 for an A?
Reply 73
Original post by @Sean43
I dropped 10-15 marks on that damn paper :| anyone could predict my grade/ ums?

You would definitely get an A. Mid eighties for UMS. 85-6
Reply 74
Original post by Junaid96
From what I've seen, C2 was a tougher paper than last time (Summer 2011), and that time an A was 61-62. This time I'd expect it to be 58-60.

Bare in mind this is the C1 thread. I also took C2 and personally there were no challenging questions. The only one that i could see of unfamiliar nature was 9b. Even then so it was only 4 marks and most people probably got it by trail and error as 2 and pie/5 are quite guessable answers.
Reply 75
Original post by Mr.cool
You would definitely get an A. Mid eighties for UMS. 85-6

i think i got 56 is that A or not ?
Original post by mucgoo
You need to prove they don't intersect by proving there no solution for the quadratic using the discriminant.

Yes you have to use b^2-4ac<0
but using the formula you should reach the same conclusion since you would have got negative number under the square root.
Reply 77
On 5) a)how many marks would you get if you made the two equations in to a quadtric then tryed to factorise them showing that they cant hence they do not intersect.

B) How many marks would you get if you skectch every thing right beside writing the point (-4/5,0)
Reply 78
i think i got 56 is that A or not ?

touch and go i guess. I am sure you could more than make up in c3 if ur doing that also in Jan.
Reply 79
Original post by PR23
On 5) a)how many marks would you get if you made the two equations in to a quadtric then tryed to factorise them showing that they cant hence they do not intersect.

B) How many marks would you get if you skectch every thing right beside writing the point (-4/5,0)

You lost one mark.

Latest

Trending

Trending