The Student Room Group

Have you ever felt incapable of comprehending content in A-Levels?

Scroll to see replies

Got a geography exam in 8 and a half hours, and I still only understand 50% of the course :/
Original post by manic_fuzz
I'm not sure if this counts, but I can quite effectively do all the Maths problems which I'm meant to be able to do; it's just that I simply have no idea why what any of what I do actually works. :K:

Do you mean you can do it by rote learning but understand the underlying principles?
Original post by Tullia
Do you mean you can do it by rote learning but don't understand the underlying principles?

:yep:

But it could be because I've self-taught Maths so have only concerned myself with being able to do the problems and not necessarily any background stuff. :tongue:
Nope, I believe if one puts in the effort he/she can learn the contents and understand the methods in the subject, taking it into examination though requires hard work, constant learning, practice and general interest in your course.
Original post by manic_fuzz
:yep:

But it could be because I've self-taught Maths so have only concerned myself with being able to do the problems and not necessarily any background stuff. :tongue:

My Math teacher goes through a topic in the rote learning way as he does admit that is how the majority are going to pass, and then tries to polish it off with the reason behind it at the end. It is a pretty decent balance, to be fair to him.

If you just want the A-level, then to an extent it is probably fine rote learning and passing the exams. If you wanted to take it to University though, then obviously the concepts and principles are much more important.
Original post by Tullia
My Math teacher goes through a topic in the rote learning way as he does admit that is how the majority are going to pass, and then tries to polish it off with the reason behind it at the end. It is a pretty decent balance, to be fair to him.

If you just want the A-level, then to an extent it is probably fine rote learning and passing the exams. If you wanted to take it to University though, then obviously the concepts and principles are much more important.

Awww, yeah I have a good teacher, it's just that I'm ahead of the class so have to do it by myself (albeit, i still have to go to the lessons!)

Luckily I don't want to do maths at uni! :redface:
Reply 46
Some things in A2 Bio have passed me by. reduced to rote learning, so glad I have no med school ambitions
When I was revising for my philosophy exam today there were some sections in the textbook that made me go "Nope, still don't get that. Meh, I probably don't need to know it anyway!" Guess what I had to write a 30 mark essay on? :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
In physics yeah, it takes me so long to get my head around some of the things, it's always been the science I struggled the most with and I keep finding gaps where I never understood it at GCSE but blagged my way through the exam by learning the mark scheme!
Original post by NuclearFusion
I never really understood chemistry, still got a B though.

EDIT: Why the negs?

Seriously though, if you're going to neg me, at least explain why.

Quick Reply

Latest