The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6880
Original post by LowRider
Hey seeing as you we brought up in pakistan I got a few question fro you. What was it like being brought up there I know I have a kinda idea but seeing as you've had an experience of both sides what were your culture shocks etc. What was your education in pakistan like in comparison to here? and anything else you think I may find interesting. Thanks

Regarding the empires the different ethnic groups still remained fairly closed no? Like even the punjabis you have casts and it's probably only recently that people have married outside this?

Well wasn't much different apart from the fact that exams every year and you had to pass them to get to the next class(class means year)
Not really that many just that people over here as in muslims are much more conservative than in pakistan or atleast the people around me...
Education was much better for the reason that we learnt to appreciate the fact that we get to go to school not like here where there's na shukri on this naymat fromm Allah
I dno my family has never been like that and all my khala and phupos and tayi are from different groups and my grand dad was rajput n my nano kashmiri
Then my moms rajput and my dads a minhas :/ no problem there I gues but I dno abt other families or people
Original post by Dr.Sweet Science
At least try to counter-act what I've said but then again don't even bother as you already look like an absolute tool with the statement I've quoted above.

What is 'India'? Pakistanis originated from 'India', really? Bloody hell! What are your credential in the field of archeology and history? I'm only asking because you seem to have an opposing view to one of Pakistan's greatest archeologist and historian who explicity said that Pakistan is more inter-linked with Central Asia than India. But hey, who am I to argue, right? After all you're extremely well versed in those fields mentioned above.

Brownchocolateice, stop speaking for me, and I don't have a problem with urdu-speaking folks, they made huge sacrifices and believed in the dream that is Pakistan. My problem is with the urdu-speaking elite but that's an entirely different topic...

Dude, get a life, you loser! Start meeting people in RL instead of resorting to the internet. You're probably some wierd/inferiority complexed Indian whose only interaction with people is on the net, and you seem extremely desperate to get a Pakistani girl. What's wrong with dating an Indian girl? Too ugly? :tongue:

You are completely stupid :facepalm: I cant even be bothered arguing with you. Youre just one of those people who think they know it all and cant accept when they're wrong... then just make up a whole load of crap to make it look like they do actually know something.
And back the hell off Brownchocolate, you insecure arsewipe, the only "wierd" person around here is you. Oh, and get your spelling straight before you start insulting people :smile:
Original post by zubz91
Yh i think thats what am gna be on and bout £500 for food and that?

it depends on how many of you are going. but food expenses arent that high!

is saag and palak the same thing?
Reply 6883
Original post by Straight up G
I don't think they are much better in UAE tbh, probably just as bad. 2/3 people in my family live there, and I know others who go there on visits, and they've all at various points spoken of bad experiences with Arabs, though they're there as professionals mainly, not as unskilled labourers (ie, the position that most Pakistanis are forced into over there).
It's about fitting in, and business would probably suffer in the long term, or at least opinion about you, if they knew you were Pakistani. What's more sad is that people have to go to these lengths because Arabs are so racist. This particular guy was raised in KSA so he probably knows all about the racism.
Yep mainly punjabi, none of them speak Hindi. There is great animosity in Pakistan for India, because of the partition and events after it. However, it's not exactly a part of daily life, and people don't really give a damn unless it's mentioned, I think they'd prefer to live and let live (can't really verify this, because I don't live there, but that's my general impression from regular visits). Pakistanis treated better in India than in KSA? Ahaha, are you actually joking? Are you taking the piss? What's this about Hindu nationalistic parties threatening to wipe out Pakistan gaining great support in Eastern India, and anyone remember the Gujarat massacre? Muslims are suffering in India, there positive discrimination laws in India which completely disregard the Muslims, and make them compete with Brahmans for jobs, where Dalits and the other lower Indian castes get easy access, it's absolute bull**** mate.

We do have some shared values, this was accepted a long time ago, what is your point?

I'll hate an Indian just as much as he hates me. Everyday Indians can't do jack about their country's attitude to Indian Muslims or Pakistanis in general, and a majority of the ones here that I know are fairly open and don't really care about what's going on back home, so yeah, if anyone chooses to dislike me, then I'll dislike them back just the same.

I said it was debatable and offensive. He wrote some stuff about Indians being less attractive, and hence I said it was debatable, because attractiveness is subjective, and offensive, because it's wrong. I myself liked an Indian girl for 1/2 years (not a hope in hell she liked me back though at that time aha). The other thing he said was that marriages shouldn't be decided solely on love, that other factors like finance and family should be taken into account etc. Whilst initially this seems correct, I don't think I've ever properly been in love, so I can't say how I'd act, so I said it was debatable. Calm down bro

I'm not gonna argue over cuisine, there is no argument to be had, and it's a minor aspect. Religion isn't the only dividing factor, ethnicity, cultural and social values, there are many things. Urdu is spoken by a small minority in Pakistan, Punjabi/Sindi/Pashto is the working class language.

I never said it was completely false, I said that I agreed with Dr. SS in that it's wrong to just classify Pakistan and India as 'the same country/region''. There are similarities, I accept that, but he is on the right lines. I never said anything about Indians being inferior, because they are not, I just merely said that they are, broadly speaking, different. Get over it. I have Indian friends who I've known since I was 4, they're Hyderabadi and we get on very well. But we get on well through English culture, our 'home' cultures, whilst comparable, are definitely different.

Facts we have established;

Punjabi Pakistanis and Punjabi Indians are fairly similar in a variety of ways

Pakistanis and Indians on a whole are generally different

People in Pakistan and India generally dislike people from the other country

Pakistani and Indian migrants in western countries are less likely to have this bias

It is silly to think of Pakistan and India as an identical region, merely split by a border LoC.

I swear you're not supposed to be in the country :s-smilie: lol
Original post by Farwa
Yes it was and the mughal empire had both the lands(most of what is now india and pakistan)

Lol argue krne se faida nahi I say it again

It was mughal empire for a long while till brits came along and that is why we have the tomb of jahangir and badshahi mosque in pakistan whilst taj mahal and other things in india
We have minhas in lahore punjab and in delhi on indian side we have proper family names going on since centuries before goras came whiare now found on both side of the borders because we have the same ancestors :smile:

I used to live in pak and I studied history there so u do know this but for you I recommend wikipedia
Do educate yourself :smile:

Again you’ve made a mistake. This is priceless! Since when was Ranjit Singh a Mughal? It was a brief rule by Ranjit Singh before the Brits came and took power. Looks like someone forgot to pay attention at school. :biggrin:

Wikipedia? lol. Just highlights your level of ignorance.

In the past, Pakistan was a part of Persian[Iranian]/Afghan/Turkish and Greek empires so by that reasoning, we are similar to them too in culture, ethnicity, language etc *Facepalm

Lastly, you were talking about a name to the land that is now, known as Pakistan. So either correct your question or refrain from mentioning the ‘mughals’. I certainly don’t need someone who has a problem understanding Pakistan's history to inform me about a time period that is written in extreme detail by Western/Eastern historians.

Pretty hilarious to see you argue your view-point by giving extremely shallow similarities.

Lastly, Lahore, borders Amritsar[India] so it will naturally have had some similarities with those across the border in India.

If you’ve got a connection with India, fine, but don’t tar the whole of Pakistan with the same brush, as I, along with many Northerners, Kashmiris, Balochis and Pashtuns have nothing in common with Indians.

Just don’t argue in the future if you don’t have any knowledge on the matter.

Original post by Ayesha.Tabassam95
You are completely stupid :facepalm: I cant even be bothered arguing with you. Youre just one of those people who think they know it all and cant accept when they're wrong... then just make up a whole load of crap to make it look like they do actually know something.
And back the hell off Brownchocolate, you insecure arsewipe, the only "wierd" person around here is you. Oh, and get your spelling straight before you start insulting people :smile:

Now, now, calm down! Mr.Brownchocolateice, you seem to have finally found a fan.

Pot, kettle, black. You already made yourself look stupid with your former response.

Just shows how futile your argument is when you try your utmost to correct my spelling on one specific word, ‘wierd’ which should have been written as ‘weird’. If you’re going to be pedantic about certain matters then hopefully you’ll learn to take your own advice and won’t mind, when I inform you to punctuate your sentences correctly as you’ve made numerous errors.

Have a kitkat.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by frenchfries

Yeah, add Lebanese and French(just about) to the list :wink:

Tbf Pakistani men are hot too :smile:

Can't speak about their menfolk, but Southern Italian women are pretty/beautiful, on top of that, they're extremely cultured and have strong family values.
Reply 6886
Original post by Farwa
Well wasn't much different apart from the fact that exams every year and you had to pass them to get to the next class(class means year)
Not really that many just that people over here as in muslims are much more conservative than in pakistan or atleast the people around me...
Education was much better for the reason that we learnt to appreciate the fact that we get to go to school not like here where there's na shukri on this naymat fromm Allah
I dno my family has never been like that and all my khala and phupos and tayi are from different groups and my grand dad was rajput n my nano kashmiri
Then my moms rajput and my dads a minhas :/ no problem there I gues but I dno abt other families or people

my grandads rajput too :biggrin:
what does that even mean though?
Reply 6887
Again you’ve made a mistake. This is priceless! Since when was Ranjit Singh a Mughal? It was a brief rule by Ranjit Singh before the Brits came and took power. Looks like someone forgot to pay attention at school. :biggrin:

In the past, Pakistan was a part of Persian[Iranian]/Afghan/Turkish and Greek empires so by that reasoning, we are similar to them too in culture, ethnicity, language etc *Facepalm

Lastly, you were talking about a name to the land that is now, known as Pakistan. So either correct your question or refrain from mentioning the ‘mughals’. I certainly don’t need someone who has a problem understanding Pakistan's history to inform me about a time period that is written in extreme detail by Western/Eastern historians.

Pretty hilarious to see you argue your view-point by giving extremely shallow similarities.

Lastly, Lahore, borders Amritsar[India] so it will naturally have had some similarities with those across the border in India.

If you’ve got a connection with India, fine, but don’t tar the whole of Pakistan with the same brush, as I, along with many Northerners, Kashmiris, Balochis and Pashtuns have nothing in common with Indians.

mughal empires last emperor was bahadur shah zafar
ranjit singh just ruled punjab but where did all these people come from ?
they were initially a part of mughal empire!
and the whole of punjab is the most populated province of pakistan
so majority are similar to indians
and the fact that a majorly populated city(infact the most populated city karachi)
is full of people who are called muhajirs because they migrated from india to pakistan after partition so they are indians too

have you ever studied your history in a pakistani army school
cause i have therefore i dont need to learn my history from you

we are a mixture of afghans, indians, kashmiris etc..

the thing is you believe hatred is the right way
you are wrong there is nothing wrong with indians or any other race, religion or ethnicity
learn to respect all humans...

it is not about proving me wrong or me proving you wrong.. its about learning to respect people :smile:

im sure pakistan teaches you that much that you should respect others
Reply 6888
Original post by shush
my grandads rajput too :biggrin:
what does that even mean though?

i dont know :P :L i'll ask my parents and tell you?
Reply 6889
Original post by Farwa
i dont know :P :L i'll ask my parents and tell you?

okaay :biggrin:
Reply 6890
Original post by shush

ok i asked the raja maharajas of all the different states of indo-pak before mughal emperors took over were called the rajputs
basically their descendants of those rajas are called rajputs
my moms dad had his ancestor tree.. and supposedly raja karan singh was one of my ancestors :biggrin: lol
Original post by brownchocolateice
Meh i dont know. it just pisses me off when peple generalise so i told him i have lots of pakistani friends here who dont think that but he doesnt get it. i mean i spend more time here than in indian soc cos i get along with people.
yeh its because hotter climate and the further u are from equator the hotter and darker you become.

besides the beauty saying for men is tall, dark and handsome so i like my complexion.:smile:

How did he get onto this thread!!! Lol, hes making everyone hate him.
Do you not like Indian people?
Hahah. Lol.

Now, now, calm down! Mr.Brownchocolateice, you seem to have finally found a fan.

Pot, kettle, black. You already made yourself look stupid with your former response.

Just shows how futile your argument is when you try your utmost to correct my spelling on one specific word, ‘wierd’ which should have been written as ‘weird’. If you’re going to be pedantic about certain matters then hopefully you’ll learn to take your own advice and won’t mind, when I inform you to punctuate your sentences correctly as you’ve made numerous errors.

Have a kitkat.

Well at least he has fans, unlike you.
That makes no sense. And neither do you.
I didnt try my "upmost" to correct your spelling... but whatever.
And actually, I do mind, because they're meant to be like that.
Your the one that needs a kitkat.. and need a break.. from trying to be a smartass.
So... anyway, are you in uni/college/school?
Original post by shush

Hi, how are you?? Not spoken to you in a while though :frown:
so to summarise this debate........ Pakistan zindabad :smile:
Reply 6895
Original post by Farwa
ok i asked the raja maharajas of all the different states of indo-pak before mughal emperors took over were called the rajputs
basically their descendants of those rajas are called rajputs
my moms dad had his ancestor tree.. and supposedly raja karan singh was one of my ancestors :biggrin: lol

Who's raja karan singh
Reply 6896
Original post by shush
Who's raja karan singh

i wish i knew :L:L
some raja of some place in the indian subcontinent lol
Reply 6897
Original post by Ayesha.Tabassam95
Hi, how are you?? Not spoken to you in a while though :frown:

Awwwwwwwwwwwww thats sooo sweet :P
come on msn?
Reply 6898
Original post by Farwa
i wish i knew :L:L
some raja of some place in the indian subcontinent lol

raja means king right?
Reply 6899
Original post by shush
raja means king right?

Yeah bro (Y)
Thats why yu shud call me RAJA NINJA..na im chattin **** loool :wink:. Just Ninja is blessed :tongue:

Latest