The Student Room Group

Firm and insurance two AAB offers??

Hello guys, I want your honest opinion on this, it is a good, or bad idea to put two AAB offers down as my firm and insurance choices.

I've got AAB from Birmingham for English with Creative Writing and for Kent, English and American Lit with Creative Writing and a Year Abroad. I also got BBB from Brunel. The offer two are 300/280 ucas points so I'm not even considering them anymore now I've got into my best 3.

Basically I absolutely adore Kent and Birmingham and am very tempted to put Bham as my firm and Kent as my insurance even though they're the same grades. I am 70% sure Kent will take me even if I get a ABB because others have got in with that, but of course the offer is AAB so I cannot be 100% certain, and each case is different I assume.

Would this be a good or bad idea.... what is your honest opinion?
What would you do? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Depends on how confident you are that you can achieve AAB.
Reply 2
Original post by krystlezara
Hello guys, I want your honest opinion on this, it is a good, or bad idea to put two AAB offers down as my firm and insurance choices.

I've got AAB from Birmingham for English with Creative Writing and for Kent, English and American Lit with Creative Writing and a Year Abroad. I also got BBB from Brunel. The offer two are 300/280 ucas points so I'm not even considering them anymore now I've got into my best 3.

Basically I absolutely adore Kent and Birmingham and am very tempted to put Bham as my firm and Kent as my insurance even though they're the same grades. I am 70% sure Kent will take me even if I get a ABB because others have got in with that, but of course the offer is AAB so I cannot be 100% certain, and each case is different I assume.

Do it, and work your ass off.

A fail safe plan!
I think if you like those uni that much go for it, if you don't get the grades you wanted then you can consider clearing but that's always the last option.
Reply 4

if you're not COMPLETELY sure you'll get AAB, i would advise you not to do it.
why, you say?

last year, my firm and insurance were both ABB.

results day....

grades: A*AC.

result: no uni place.

unis get charged £10,000 for each student they let in over their quota. so if others made their grades and the course is full, they won't let you in. it just depends how many others miss their grades too.

i would really strongly advise you not to do this. if you don't want to go to your back-up, you could take a gap year and re-apply if you miss your firm!
Original post by ollie82
if you're not COMPLETELY sure you'll get AAB, i would advise you not to do it.
why, you say?

last year, my firm and insurance were both ABB.

results day....

grades: A*AC.

result: no uni place.

unis get charged £10,000 for each student they let in over their quota. so if others made their grades and the course is full, they won't let you in. it just depends how many others miss their grades too.

i would really strongly advise you not to do this. if you don't want to go to your back-up, you could take a gap year and re-apply if you miss your firm!

Why say don't do it, if you don't get in you can take a gap year and re-apply... surely it would be better to take a risk and have to take a gap year having taken the risk rather than having to take a gap year and wonder what if...
Reply 6
Original post by moomin_love
Why say don't do it, if you don't get in you can take a gap year and re-apply... surely it would be better to take a risk and have to take a gap year having taken the risk rather than having to take a gap year and wonder what if...

because it's probably a good idea to know you're going to uni, the sick worrying all the way til results day is horrible, knowing you don't have an insurance. most people find they're just as happy wherever they go - everyone says it's about making the most of the opportunity.

an unplanned gap year is pretty horrible.
You have to be confident in meeting the offer, otherwise i'd advise against it. I've heard of kent lowering their offers and being more lenient, but I wouldn't fall upon this.
Reply 8
seems to defeat the point of an insurance option, you dont know what could happen over the next few months and your performance could be affected...if you're 100% confident you can get AAB then go for it...if not then it's better to have the safetly net there...
Reply 9
Original post by charlie9872
You have to be confident in meeting the offer, otherwise i'd advise against it. I've heard of kent lowering their offers and being more lenient, but I wouldn't fall upon this.

I've heard this too and if I do do this I would be reliant on them taking me even if I do get a B. And also guys I'm on a gap year right now... sorta, I went back to 6th form to do an ALevel and separate AS in one year, i.e. I just did AS english last week and am doing A2 in June as well as AS Business so another year out is not an option for me. I only took this one because it meant I'd get to uni in 2012.

Would it be smarter to choose between them and use Brunel as my backup since its BBB even though I'm coming out with either ABB or AAB? Ideally Kent will take me with ABB... but I don't know if they will for sure, and Birmingham is so competitive I'm not even considering them taking me if I don't meet the offer.
I've heard this too and if I do do this I would be reliant on them taking me even if I do get a B. And also guys I'm on a gap year right now... sorta, I went back to 6th form to do an ALevel and separate AS in one year, i.e. I just did AS english last week and am doing A2 in June as well as AS Business so another year out is not an option for me. I only took this one because it meant I'd get to uni in 2012.

Would it be smarter to choose between them and use Brunel as my backup since its BBB even though I'm coming out with either ABB or AAB? Ideally Kent will take me with ABB... but I don't know if they will for sure, and Birmingham is so competitive I'm not even considering them taking me if I don't meet the offer.

Have you emailed kent's admissions team and asked if they give any leniency with the grades? might be worth a try
Reply 11

This is exactly what happened to me, and although i'm glad it did (realised i wanted to do a completely different subject, uni etc) it was tragic! it really hits you hard when it happens, and you beat yourself up because of it!
what i recommend is to choose one of your easier courses as your insurance, then if you don't get in to the firm, ring Kent and Birmingham on the day and ask them whether they would accept you with ABB, if not then at least you're in uni or you can go on a gap year, do some retakes and go a year later.

Frankly there is no point. The way that ucas works is that if you get what you put down as your first choice you go there. If you don't get the grades for that, you go to your insurance. If you don't get the grades for either of them, you don't go to Uni. If you could only consider going to a uni that offers AAB, don't bother putting down an insurance place. x
Reply 13
So both your insurance and your firm are asking for AAB? Good thing universities don't let you in on common logic, I mean all you need is one **** up such as getting a ABB then you don't get into university.
Reply 14
Original post by Care-Free
Have you emailed kent's admissions team and asked if they give any leniency with the grades? might be worth a try

This is a good idea. Thank you. Do you think it's possible for them to change my offer to ABB? I'm visiting them next Weds and I think they really like me and may possibly make an exception even though AAB is the standard requirements..... or maybe they'll be nice on results day if I do mess up.
This is a good idea. Thank you. Do you think it's possible for them to change my offer to ABB? I'm visiting them next Weds and I think they really like me and may possibly make an exception even though AAB is the standard requirements..... or maybe they'll be nice on results day if I do mess up.

I'm not sure that they'll change your offer but if they are aware that they often accept people even though they didnt meet the grades then they'll probably say so.
and if not then it's better to know now rather than just hope that they will and then be let down if you get ABB and they dont accept you.

I e-mailed northumbria to see if they'd accept me with A*BC instead of ABB and they said yes but i think thats because its the same points..

Better to ask rather than be dissapointed...

Good luck :smile:
Reply 16
contact the universities and see how lenient they are if you were to slip a grade, if neither allow one grade to be missed don't put the other ABB as an offer but sometimes they will let you miss one and if they will put them as your insurance. I have a friend who had an offer for chemistry at ABB for his insurance (AAB) for his firm but he achieved AAC so technically should have missed both but still got accepted for his insurance. It was a different course and uni but this type of policy isn't uncommon.
Original post by Care-Free

Expect an entirely non-committal response where they say that they won't know until they have the A level results.

This is a good idea. Thank you. Do you think it's possible for them to change my offer to ABB?

Not impossible but hugely unlikely.
They're unlikely to change your offer but they may be more lenient if you got a B instead of an A in a subject that wasn't directly relevant to English. So you can only hope that Kent will take an ABB.
I also have an offer for AAB at Kent for he same course and I think its very unlikely I will get those grades. Last year the course requirement grades were ABB I believe, so people would obviously have got accepted with these grades. I think AAB might be pushing it a little for me. I am not going to make my final decisions on my choices yet, as I have some post applicant decisions to make. I haven't been to Kent at all (visiting soon) and I am kind of hoping that it isn't my favourite.
If you do e-mail them about the grades, do let us know what they say. I am wondering if Kent might have an extra large number of applicants who choose it as their firm this year because of the bursary they are offering.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending