The Student Room Group

Footballers earn too much money

:mad:

Samuel Eto'o becomes world's top earning footballer on £350k!!!!!!!!!!! per WEEK
Teves is another worthless money addict who is currently (might leave man city ) £250,000-a-week!!!!

Why ??!! Surely doctors who spend hours of their lives saving lives everday or soldiers who risk their lives for their country....its just ennoying

Man, im sure everyone agrees with me unless they are a footballer :P

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
They earn the price that the market dictates. Simples.
Reply 2
There should be a salary cap in my opinion. It really wouldn't surprise me if players are hitting a mill a week in the future.
Reply 3
but that money can change lives, look at the poor people in africa who are dying from starvation and lack of clean water.....and footballers just moan about the lack of money they earn and demand pay rises....Man City is a perfect example. The only reason superstar footballers like Aguero left Athletico was for the large amounts of money not for the sheer love of football or anything...
Reply 4
If footballers were paid less, then the extra money wouldnt magically end up in Africa, it would go to the owners and shareholders of the club. Given that top clubs are bringing in hundreds of millions of pounds in revenue, it is 'fairer' that this money goes to the players who are directly bringing in the money than to the businessmen who own the club (who are usually very wealthy already).

The percentage of revenue that players get is fair, the problem is that there is too much money in modern football, but if youre paying for Sky Sports/MUTV/etc then youre part of the problem.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Man-Utd

Samuel Eto'o becomes world's top earning footballer on £350k!!!!!!!!!!! per WEEK
Teves is another worthless money addict who is currently (might leave man city ) £250,000-a-week!!!!

Why ??!! Surely doctors who spend hours of their lives saving lives everday or soldiers who risk their lives for their country....its just ennoying

yes but they also get a private life, can eat what they want, can go out to celebrate when they want, don't have parents dictating to them how they can / cant act because their kids see them on tv, have the media scrutinise every decision they make etc
Why aren't lefties ok with this? It redistributes wealth from the rich football club owner to the poorer player.
Original post by usainlightning
Why aren't lefties ok with this? It redistributes wealth from the rich football club owner to the poorer player.

Footballers themselves are second only to boxers in their social-minded readiness to redistribute their wealth. Wayne Rooney, for example, will be broke at 50, his millions having been reallocated to car-dealerships, nightclubs, and whores. He's a one-man regional stimulus package, god bless him.
Reply 8
Original post by Man-Utd

Agree. It also skews people's perception of money and wreaks havoc with ego and self worth.

The problem is a lot of football agents (and footballers in some cases) have a deep rooted love of money. Many transfer's/ salary demands are the work of the agent as opposed to the player though. Agent's by and large (without sounding arrogant) come from relatively working class backgrounds and are poorly educated individuals which only serves to increase the intensity of their love and desire for money.

Question is with the current situation as it is, would you be happy to accept the alternative - Salaries regulated by the state with all of the supposedly 'better' players leaving for unregulated countries. Russia, Dubai would have our best players?
Reply 9
Original post by nohomo
Why do his motives matter if he is bringing his football talents to a wider audience who enjoy watching him?

I'd rather listen to an amazing musician who was in it for the money than a crap musician who loved music.

Or alternatively, an amazing musician who is relatively unknown and not commercially promoted or X factor manufactured talentless teen?
Of course they get paid far too much but that's what the clubs are willing to pay.

Also Samuel Eto'o and many other footballers work with charities using the money they make.
Maybe you don't understand supply and demand.
Reply 12
For what they do. Yes they earn to much money, but if you want to look at who is responsible for the amount of money they earn it is the people who pay for tickets to games. It's people who who buy sports subscriptions on TV. It's people who buy the clubs merchandise.

I mean the only thing that does annoy me is the fact that BBC are paying these clubs for broadcast rights, as if I want to watch TV at all (legally) I have to be funding a sport that I don't want to fund. Although a lot of people seem to enjoy watching football on TV so I guess it's fair.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 13
Top footballers earn their clubs far more money than they get paid. You get paid based on your ability to make the business more money, that's how life works.
Original post by Kazera
Top footballers earn their clubs far more money than they get paid. You get paid based on your ability to make the business more money, that's how life works.

Perhaps, but that's not how football works, or anyway not at the likes of Manchester City, Chelsea, or Paris St Germain, all of which rely on loss-making benefactors to prop-up their otherwise unsustainable wage bills.
Reply 15
Original post by cambio wechsel
Perhaps, but that's not how football works, or anyway not at the likes of Manchester City, Chelsea, or Paris St Germain, all of which rely on loss-making benefactors to prop-up their otherwise unsustainable wage bills.

I don't see how that's not how it works tbh regardless of whether the club operates in profit or not, players are paid on their ability to earn a club money if they didn't do that they wouldn't pay them anything. Manchester United pay Wayne Rooney £250,000 because the amount of goals he scores and assists he gets which results in the club making more money.

Footballers themselves are second only to boxers in their social-minded readiness to redistribute their wealth. Wayne Rooney, for example, will be broke at 50, his millions having been reallocated to car-dealerships, nightclubs, and whores. He's a one-man regional stimulus package, god bless him.

He actually has an astute investments manager if you look it up :wink: .
Reply 17
Original post by Man-Utd

no. Let them pay whatever the market pays them.

But clubs shouldnt get a penny taxpayers ` bail out money when they get into trouble.
Original post by Man-Utd

Original post by Man-Utd

Sorry but that's retard logic. How many people can be soldiers / doctors? A greater amount than is required. How many people can play football at the very highest level? A very small amount which does not satisfy the demand therefore price increases. Why does everyone always focus on footballers and not F1 drivers, boxers etc? Also if you want to have a real go the highest earning hedge fund manager earned $4 billion last year (YES BILLION $4,000,000,000 You mirin?)
Reply 19
There should be a salary cap like there is for rugby in my opinion. Football should be about the sport, not the money. Impossible to change though I suppose...

Quick Reply

Latest