The Student Room Group

Sutton Trust Summer School 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
I kinda fit three then. Number two four (they might complain at the English. And also at one of my GCSE's (Moving Images)) and six. Still pretty good odds though. Good luck! :smile:
Reply 581
Original post by cjd2k
I am going to Van Mildert! I didn't have my subject written down either, but the alternative is Maths, and that doesn't bear thinking about. I should have picked English actually, but that probably would have been seen as a lack of direction. I'm the only Durhamer from my school as well. :frown:

Yey someone else who is going there!! Thats okay then I thought it had been missed out by accident, maths would be torture, I think my alternative was Chemistry or history, I hope it I got in for english because the other two subjects would be torture!!
Reply 582
Original post by sarzed
Which 2 criteria do you meet? Just wondering if some might be seen as 'more important' than others?

I met the state school with a poor record of students going on to higher education and the first person in my family to be going on to further education! :smile:
Original post by iCiaran
I don't think the subject is massively important, I mean we're only there for 5 days , more about the experience...
:smile:

No i said that because i know a lot of what is on the maths things but i have no idea what you do in chemistry at Undergad...
Has anybody heard from Nottingham?
Reply 585
Original post by lucyburns
Yey someone else who is going there!! Thats okay then I thought it had been missed out by accident, maths would be torture, I think my alternative was Chemistry or history, I hope it I got in for english because the other two subjects would be torture!!

I think it shall be fun whatever happens. How many people actually get accepted I wonder? I hope I shan't be the only one from Northern Ireland going. I need someone with an even more embarrassing accent to be there.
Has anyone been accepted at Bristol on the engineering stream? :smile:
Original post by cjd2k
Just got my letter. Accepted for Physics in Van Mildert for the 19-24th of August! Anyone else for the same spot?

I just got my letter today I got accepted for Van Mildert for the 19-24th of August. I presume its for English because thats what i applied for but it doesn't say that on my letter? for the people who havent had their letters yet have hope i only met 2 of the criteria and i didnt have the 5 A*/A GCSEs. Anyone else going to the same place, i dont know anyone going because i was the only one accepted from my school?

Original post by SSDD95
Got my letter of acceptance today, 19th - 24th August at Durham! So happy :smile:

I got my letter from Durham today too! I applied for English with Anthropology as a back up, but my teacher seems to recall not seeing English on my application form (eep). Either way it'll be fun! I can't wait :smile: do all summer school students stay in Van Mildert? That seems to be the case from everyone so far...
Reply 588
Original post by cjd2k
I think it shall be fun whatever happens. How many people actually get accepted I wonder? I hope I shan't be the only one from Northern Ireland going. I need someone with an even more embarrassing accent to be there.

It will certainly be and experience! Im not sure I don't think its very many people. Aw Northern Ireland accents aren't embarrassing, mine is far worse it incredibly common! Are you travelling from Norther Ireland for the summer school?
Reply 589
awww man...Bristol and Durham have sent out letters...c'mon Cambridge your falling behind!!! .... much to my annoyance :tongue:
Reply 590
It will certainly be and experience! Im not sure I don't think its very many people. Aw Northern Ireland accents aren't embarrassing, mine is far worse it incredibly common! Are you travelling from Norther Ireland for the summer school?

Yeah, I'm coming over from here. I am actually in Liverpool until the 16th, so it is a bit annoying I have to go back and then head over again, but what can you do?
Northern Ireland accents are pretty bad. At least I have a fairly respectable one. I could be from Belfast or somewhere. :P I'll just leave this here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJH3_mYFPYc
Reply 591
Original post by cjd2k
Yeah, I'm coming over from here. I am actually in Liverpool until the 16th, so it is a bit annoying I have to go back and then head over again, but what can you do?
Northern Ireland accents are pretty bad. At least I have a fairly respectable one. I could be from Belfast or somewhere. :P I'll just leave this here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJH3_mYFPYc

Ahh thats annoying! Luckily I live just under 2 hours away from Durham so i dont have far to travel. Haha I have to say that video made me giggle, i suppose you could have a worse one like you say! Its better than my accent which is a mix of scottish and Geordie so think yourself lucky :smile:
Reply 592
Ahh thats annoying! Luckily I live just under 2 hours away from Durham so i dont have far to travel. Haha I have to say that video made me giggle, i suppose you could have a worse one like you say! Its better than my accent which is a mix of scottish and Geordie so think yourself lucky :smile:

That is pretty bad you know. We can both have terrible accents then I suppose .
Reply 593
Original post by cjd2k
That is pretty bad you know. We can both have terrible accents then I suppose .

hmm as you say at least we both have terrible accents!!
Reply 594
Does anyone else have a feeling we won't hear from Cambridge this week? It says 27th on the Sutton Trust site but I'm sure I read a different date on the Cambridge site when I first applied. I can't seem to find it now! Maybe I'm just going crazy :frown:

Also, after reading some people complaining about their accents, I'm from Birmingham, it doesn't get much worse than that haha! :wink:
Reply 595
Original post by kateeeeey
Does anyone else have a feeling we won't hear from Cambridge this week? It says 27th on the Sutton Trust site but I'm sure I read a different date on the Cambridge site when I first applied. I can't seem to find it now! Maybe I'm just going crazy :frown:

Also, after reading some people complaining about their accents, I'm from Birmingham, it doesn't get much worse than that haha! :wink:

Birmingham? Eeek. Burnley is pretty bad as well. Anyone else we haven't offended yet? Oh yes, the Welsh. We should all fit in pretty well I think. Those Dunelmers have pretty cool accents though. Let us hope there shall be no natives at this course.

I think I read that too; either that or we're both going crazy :biggrin: I really hope it'll come on the 27th though :smile:

Well there's always Scouse; I think that's worse than Brummie really :tongue: Is your accent really strong though? :smile:
Reply 597

I'm pretty sure (99%) that we will know by friday :smile:

And everyones from everywhere so accents don't really matter, although I think the grass vs grarse dispute might come up a few times :P

Really? Do you know what date that was? Grrrr, I just want to know. I'm 90% sure I'm rejected but I'd like the suspense to be over.

I don't have an accent, but I do have a fairly bad lisp, which is probably worse! :tongue:
Why am I hearing about letters of acceptance?

I'm not sure I like it :colonhash:

But well done to everyone who managed to get a place to far :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending