The Student Room Group

370,000 Migrants claiming Benifits.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16643677

BBC
Work-related benefits were being claimed last year by more than 370,000 migrants who originally came to the UK to work, study or visit, the first research of its kind has shown.

The government matched benefit, border control and tax records from 2011.

A look at a sample of 9,000 claimants of certain nationalities found 2% were illegally claiming benefits.

Employment Minister Chris Grayling said most claims were perfectly legitimate and the full picture was not yet clear.

BBC correspondent Naomi Grimley says the government admits it found only a tiny number of cases where migrants were claiming illegally, but the research is likely to prompt a wider debate about whether the welfare system has become too generous and attracted so-called "benefit tourists".

Before the coalition government came to power the nationality of benefit claimants was not recorded.

The first detailed "data-matching" was carried out by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP), the UK Border Agency and HM Revenue and Customs.

The research found:

As of February 2011, 371,000 people - out of a total of 5.5 million - claiming working-age benefits had been non-UK nationals when they first registered for a National Insurance Number
Of these, 258,000 were from outside the European Economic Area (non-EEA)
Of this figure, 54% were now British citizens and most others had an immigration status that meant they were eligible for benefits
What the government calls working-age benefits include jobseeker's allowance, income support, carer's allowance and disability living allowance, among others.
A follow-up sample looked at 9,000 non-EEA nationals, three-quarters of whose records were able to be matched.

Continue reading the main story

Start Quote
I'm very glad that ministers now responsible are saying in turns that the immigration system is in a serious mess”
End Quote
Sir Andrew Green

MigrationWatch UK

Of those matched, 98% were entitled to benefits but 2% appeared to have "no lawful immigration status".

The "small number" of cases is being investigated, the DWP said.

The government also said it was looking at ways to record nationality "at source" and at better tracking of the immigration status of claimants.

Mr Grayling admitted the vast majority of those claiming were entitled to the benefits, and denied the government was scaremongering.

"I think it's really important for the credibility of our benefits system... that we should understand the mix of people who come from other countries who are claiming benefits," he told BBC Radio 4's Today programme.

"We are now going to go through all the people who we've not being able to identify and we're going to repeat that exercise across the full 250,000 to have a system in which people can have confidence."

The employment minister said he wanted to reduce net migration and ensure the UK system did not attract "benefit tourists".

Earlier this month the government's official advisers on migration said there was a link between immigration from outside the European Union and job losses among UK workers.

The research was carried out by looking at tax, border control and benefits records
The Migration Advisory Committee said there were 23 fewer UK jobs for every 100 migrants from outside the EU.

But a separate report from the National Institute of Economic and Social Research (NIESR) said immigration had had little impact.

MigrationWatch UK, which campaigns for tougher controls on immigration, said the evidence was unclear but something was "clearly not right".

Chairman Sir Andrew Green told Today: "I'm very glad that ministers now responsible are saying in turns that the immigration system is in a serious mess."

He said the sheer scale of immigration put "huge pressure" on public services and there had been no link until now between the immigration and benefit systems.

It was "absolutely absurd" that people from Romania and Bulgaria have been claiming benefits by claiming to be self-employed because they sold the Big Issue newspaper, he added.

Keith Best, who used to run the Immigration Advice Service, said it was "very, very difficult" for migrants to claim benefits in the UK.

He said you have to have "status" to claim and you were not entitled if you came in as a student or on a work permit, for example.

In my opinion, articles like this just highlight our need for tighter immigration, especially when it comes to unskilled, or low skilled labourers. With unemployment as high as it is, can we afford to allow the immigration of yet more people with no particular skill set who will create little wealth for the country?

Opinions on this?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I Think this country is a mess now.
Reply 2
Our immigration system is a mess. It is stupid to let unskilled immigrants in when there aren't even enough jobs for the people already here. It's just common sense that if there aren't enough jobs in that sector, you don't let more people enter into it!
Reply 3
Ugh, here we go again. I would fully welcome MORE immigrants into our country - worried about space? Kick out the underclass. They contribute nothing; they can't think, they can't work beyond basic menial tasks, they breed too much and they're responsible for most of the crime in the country.

So yes please to immigration.
Reply 4
Original post by Rant
Ugh, here we go again. I would fully welcome MORE immigrants into our country - worried about space? Kick out the underclass. They contribute nothing; they can't think, they can't work beyond basic menial tasks, they breed too much and they're responsible for most of the crime in the country.

But it is impossible to kick the underclass out, it is possible to reduce immigration hence the unnecessary extra strains. Lower immigration and create schemes and harsher benefits to get the underclass back to work is much more cost efficient. Surely more immigration would make getting them back to work even more difficult?
Reply 5
Original post by Rant

What an utterly ridiculous stance to take. That's like saying we'll just stop crime. It's not a choice. We cannot remove the underclass sadly. Because believe me, I'd be the first one to. I'm not some foaming at the mouth racist. I welcome controlled immigration and all the benifits, social and economic, that it brings. However, there are times, such as now, when we are facing such high levels of unemployment that it just seems mad to be letting futher, useless immigration continue.
Reply 6
I have no objection to immigrants who have previously worked in this country and paid tax here claiming benefits but when non of them have done any work other than selling 'the big issue' as one of the articles I read suggested then it is completely wrong. (Although I don't know how many of the 370,000 this applies to)
Original post by Steevee
What an utterly ridiculous stance to take. That's like saying we'll just stop crime. It's not a choice. We cannot remove the underclass sadly. Because believe me, I'd be the first one to. I'm not some foaming at the mouth racist. I welcome controlled immigration and all the benifits, social and economic, that it brings. However, there are times, such as now, when we are facing such high levels of unemployment that it just seems mad to be letting futher, useless immigration continue.

Well you clearly don't "welcome" it then. You just want to abuse the system to get the maximum benefit for the UK, then if there is ever a hiccup, get rid of it.

Which of course is a completely legitimate stance to take, but don't spout rubbish about you actually caring about them. Not everything in life is about money.

I just hope that when I emigrate the "natives" aren't as horrible as they are here in the UK. I've worked in 2 foreign countries and thankfully not a single person there went on about how terrible it was that I dared get a job in their country when I didn't share their nationality. Just goes to show how far we have regressed as a nation - it was only a few years ago that we were among the most tolerant on the planet.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
cant really blame them though can you :L
this country really needs sorting out :/ yet its only gunna get worse...
Reply 9
Good for them! Sure why not.
I'd rather them getting the money than some of the anti immigration eejits.
Reply 10
Original post by Rant

The anti working class poster with an anarchist flag as an avatar? Very strange!
Reply 11
Original post by IRSP044
The anti working class poster with an anarchist flag as an avatar? Very strange!

Who said anything about the working class?
Reply 12
Original post by Rant

That's mostly the white underclass generally. :rolleyes:
Reply 13
Original post by Rant
Who said anything about the working class?

You said the underclass.
Original post by Rant

Are you utterly deluded or just a troll? I can't decide right now. A large proportion of the so called 'underclass' ARE immigrants. Wanna know what my solution is? Increase minimum wage, kick out all illegals with no right to appeal, kick out all islamic extremists, prevent immigrants from claiming benefits until they've worked for a set amount of time.
Reply 15
Original post by Ray Barone
Are you utterly deluded or just a troll? I can't decide right now. A large proportion of the so called 'underclass' ARE immigrants. Wanna know what my solution is? Increase minimum wage, kick out all illegals with no right to appeal, kick out all islamic extremists, prevent immigrants from claiming benefits until they've worked for a set amount of time.

Or better yet, kick you and your BNP chums out.
Original post by callum9999
Well you clearly don't "welcome" it then. You just want to abuse the system to get the maximum benefit for the UK, then if there is ever a hiccup, get rid of it.

Which of course is a completely legitimate stance to take, but don't spout rubbish about you actually caring about them. Not everything in life is about money.

I just hope that when I emigrate the "natives" aren't as horrible as they are here in the UK. I've worked in 2 foreign countries and thankfully not a single person there went on about how terrible it was that I dared get a job in their country when I didn't share their nationality. Just goes to show how far we have regressed as a nation - it was only a few years ago that we were among the most tolerant on the planet.

Agreed.
Reply 17
What about all the migrant workers who pay taxes and pay for our native unemployed? Its all swings and roundabouts.
Original post by Rant

BNP? I've got **** all to do with the BNP mate, dunno where you got that from:confused: They're a bunch of washed up old ****ing fools who haven't got a clue how to really sort this country's problems out. See the thing is, the current 3 major parties aren't what this country needs either. What we need is a government which isn't shy to crack down on violent crime and extremism(from all sides). Also a government which is prepared to legalise drugs, which would in turn eliminate a lot of the organised and low level gang crime in this country. Immigrants aren't the issue, there are many who come here to work or come here as entrepeneurs, put money into the economy, they are the sort I welcome with open arms. Immigrants who come here to scrounge and take the utter piss are the issue here.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Rant

Care to answer why a so called anarchist would hate "the underclass" so much???

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending