Original post by derng
tan^2x =3(3-secx)
sec^2x - 1 = 9 - 3secx
sec^2x + 3secx - 10 = 0
u^2 + 3u - 10 = 0
(u+5) (u-2) = 0

I got that :smile:
Original post by newskills
Found the second half too hard and nothing like the past papers.

Original post by 3ka_xo
after question 4 it was really hard. where did all the seven markers and that nine marker come from?!

it has definitely been made harder in the sense they don't lead you through the questions as much. so you could be going off on a complete tangent and never know (thank god for follow through marks!) and is it me or was there a lot more ln and e^x including in the questions than usual?

everyone who took it at my school found it difficult however, so hopefully the grade boundaries will be lowered!

I just have to say that I find it comforting that I'm not the only one who found it hard.
It was nothing like any of the past papers, and about 4 of the 7 questions were on ln and e^x.

I hope I get follow through marks even though I was silly; cosec(x)/cosec^2(x) = 1/cosec(x). I just wrote 1 because I didn't look closely enough to see the ^2. aaarrrghhhh :'(

(..I actually cried when I got home...)
Original post by jesstonto
Second half was awful. Remember getting 7.88 for 9 marker. 1/6ln(whatever). And 360e^-1 - 198 for others...

I got 360^-1 -198....I think, or 298. I can't remember
Original post by SomeoneIveNeverMet
I GOT THAT! 1/6 ln (91/21) which simplified to 1/6 ln (13/3) :smile:

That question with making x=cosec(theta) was ridiculous. I just managed to do it, and the worst thing is, I got the whole thing right except when I divided my cosec(theta) I forgot that it was squared on the bottom and just got rid of it, so I lost a lot of marks there :'( SUCH A STUPID MISTAKE.

That paper was the most ridiculous one I've ever done. I hope the grade boundaries are low, otherwise I'll have to dish out 20 quid just to retake it in June.. :frown:

I was thinking wtf??!!:confused: 13/3 isnt a rational number...is it?.... an it didnt say leave it as an exact value or show that the answer can be written as ln(p/q) or something so I just did not know what to do or what to leave it as.

I hated that x=cosec(theta), it was an example of my nightmare integration by substitution question and I literally crawled through it. I got something 0.78 for the final answer.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by nmudz_009
I was thinking wtf??!!:confused: 13/3 isnt a rational number...is it?.... an it didnt say leave it as an exact value or show that the answer can be written as ln(p/q) or something so I just did not know what to do or what to leave it as.

I hated that x=cosec(theta), it was an example of my nightmare integration by substitution question and I literally crawled through it. I got something 0.78 for the final answer.

I got -0.5 something, and then I did it at home and got -0.5 something, but the somethings were different. I don't even knoooow.

13/3 is rational (as far as I know...) irrational would be, say 13/root(3) O.o

Aaargh meh. Just going to have to pick myself up and revise like a maniac for Physics on Tuesdays. I guess I can't be hoping for the A* to be coming from Math now!
Did any one manage to do the 9 mark substitutional integration question?
Reply 26
Original post by derng

Original post by derng
yes i got that too

it as not quadratic formula

beacuse tanx" = sec"-1

so when you re arrange it its secx"-3secx-10

and then you shoud get 2 and 5
Original post by ACCA ASIF
it as not quadratic formula

beacuse tanx" = sec"-1

so when you re arrange it its secx"-3secx-10

and then you shoud get 2 and 5

I got 2 and -5. Great. :cry:
Reply 28
I got 2 and -5. Great. :cry:

I got what this dude got
Original post by derng
I got what this dude got

I flopped this paper hardddd. Have no idea what I'll get but it wont be higher than 50/75 thats for sure :smile:
I got -0.5 something, and then I did it at home and got -0.5 something, but the somethings were different. I don't even knoooow.

13/3 is rational (as far as I know...) irrational would be, say 13/root(3) O.o

Aaargh meh. Just going to have to pick myself up and revise like a maniac for Physics on Tuesdays. I guess I can't be hoping for the A* to be coming from Math now!

:rolleyes: looks like I forgot what an irrational number is. That wasnt on the list of possible mistakes I thought I could make :facepalm:

How did you find the limits? I did something (original limit)=cosec(theta) and solved to find theta. It seemed correct at the time.
Reply 31
I flopped this paper hardddd. Have no idea what I'll get but it wont be higher than 50/75 thats for sure :smile:

It was pretty challenging but I'm feel optimistic about this exam. I'm just hoping I got that A* but I have a habit of making easy mistakes by not reading the questions properly.

Let us hope they lower the grade boundaries!
:rolleyes: looks like I forgot what an irrational number is. That wasnt on the list of possible mistakes I thought I could make :facepalm:

How did you find the limits? I did something (original limit)=cosec(theta) and solved to find theta. It seemed correct at the time.

OHMY**** I FORGOT TO CHANGE THE LIMITS.

Ima be retaking it in June, I see that now already. Greeeat
Original post by derng
It was pretty challenging but I'm feel optimistic about this exam. I'm just hoping I got that A* but I have a habit of making easy mistakes by not reading the questions properly.

Let us hope they lower the grade boundaries!

Nice. Good on you:smile: I wish I'd studied a bit of maths the night before. When I got back from college yesterday I cudnt be bothered because a) I'd just had an exam in afternoon and was tired. b) Judging from past papers I thought c3 was going to be a pushover so I was aiming for A* c) The exam was in the afternoon so I knew I'd have time to work in the morning but it seems it wasnt enough :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 34
Thought the last few questions were horrible! Feel really disheartened after putting so much work in and knowing that I will have to resist regardless.. Why was it so horrible!? :frown:

OHMY**** I FORGOT TO CHANGE THE LIMITS.

Ima be retaking it in June, I see that now already. Greeeat

which limits are you talking about
Reply 36
How many method marks do you think mll get for the substition?

I was practically running outta time, eventually got to the intregal of -sin(theta), then stupidly put -cos(theta). Didn't finish the working. How many you think the method marks will be outta the nine? Surely I musta scraped 6.

Hoping i don't have a lazy exam market who just ignores the method
Original post by aellis
Thought the last few questions were horrible! Feel really disheartened after putting so much work in and knowing that I will have to resist regardless.. Why was it so horrible!? :frown:

I put work into it too and its really cutting me up that I may even get a similar grade to people who did absolutely no work
Reply 38
I put work into it too and its really cutting me up that I may even get a similar grade to people who did absolutely no work

Exactly! It wasn't similar to any of the past papers. May as well have not bothered and concentrated on my other subjects to be honest!! Soo annoyed
Original post by aellis
Exactly! It wasn't similar to any of the past papers. May as well have not bothered and concentrated on my other subjects to be honest!! Soo annoyed

Maybe c4 will be easy :L.

ikr very different from past papers. 9 mark question :laugh: ffs -.-

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending