The Student Room Group

C3 Jan 2012 Edexcel - Post exam discussion - Solutions and paper in first post

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nereik6794
I see the grade boundaries dropping slightly below 60 for an A, but not by loads. I think you may get one

Thanks.. hopefully I got the max I could have got (70/75)..
If it wasn't for Question 8 I would have cruised through the whole paper - I don't belive I have ever proved the tan rule with sine and cos

8b) was ok

8c) Well the less said about it the better

Retake written all over it! :frown:
Reply 442
anyone...

Q. 8(a) I simply wrote down that tan(A+B) = sin(A+B)/cos(A+B), then I said that was equal to sinAcosB + cosAsinB/cosAcosB - sinAsinB, and then I said that was equal to tanA + tanB/1 - tanAtanB

I didn't specify that I divided by cosAcosB, do you think I will get away with this, if not how many marks would I get?
Reply 443
if i wrote that the domain of the inverse was 0<x<infinite is that still correct?
Original post by Arsey
x.

Now that the thread is a little calmer..

for 8a if you expand sin(a+b)/cos(a+b) then split it into two fractions i.e sinacosb/cosacosb-sinasinb + cosasinb/cosacosb-sinasinb and divide fraction 1 by cosb and fraction 2 by cosa....still not getting the right answer but having the right kinda idea...how many do you think /4?

in other words, how do you think the 4 marks are going to be allocated for that q
Reply 445
Original post by Extricated

for 8a if you expand sin(a+b)/cos(a+b) then split it into two fractions i.e sinacosb/cosacosb-sinasinb + cosasinb/cosacosb-sinasinb and divide fraction 1 by cosb and fraction 2 by cosa....still not getting the right answer but having the right kinda idea...how many do you think /4?

in other words, how do you think the 4 marks are going to be allocated for that q

dividing by cosAcosB two marks, getting answer 1 and 1 somewhere else
Reply 446
69 for 90 UMS as the prediction? I think I got 68, oh dear :frown:
Reply 447

I can not see how splitting it would lead to the right answer... you will prob get 1 for writing out the initial divisions maybe
Ugh...really should have destroyed C3. I am always riddled with silly mistakes in maths exams..misreading calculators, not simplifying fully because I cba etc...really need to start paying more attention to detail.
Reply 449
Ugh...really should have destroyed C3. I am always riddled with silly mistakes in maths exams..misreading calculators, not simplifying fully because I cba etc...really need to start paying more attention to detail.

dw g.....you merked it brah! :sexface:
Reply 450
arsey, which paper would you say, roughly, was more difficult, C3 june 2011 or C3 january 2012?

thanks.
Reply 451
Original post by flyboy786
arsey, which paper would you say, roughly, was more difficult, C3 june 2011 or C3 january 2012?

thanks.

Sorry to butt in, but I think C3 Jan 2012 was harder than C3 June 2011
Arsey,
for question 8(c) i did (im just letting x be theta)
1 + √3 tan x = (√3 - tan x) tan (pi - x)
tan(x + pi/6) (√3 - tan x) = (√3 - tan x) tan (pi - x)
then i took everything to one side and factorised (√3 - tan x) as i thought solutions could be lost if i divided though by it.
(√3 - tan x) [tan(x + pi/6) - tan (pi - x)]=0
I got the solutions you got 5pi/12, 11pi/12 and pi/3 from (√3 - tan x)=0
The solution pi/3 is incorrect, but instead of dividing through by (√3 - tan x) you can factorise (√3 - tan x). How comes its not a solution in the range given?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 453
Original post by exam2k10
Sorry to butt in, but I think C3 Jan 2012 was harder than C3 June 2011

It should be, they try make them harder each year but I don't think it was, just the last question required you to think. When I got home I did it easily which pissed me off lol, Took me 3 pages of work to get nowhere in the exam. Took me 6 lines to get the answer at home :/ FML
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 454
Ahhh. Full marks :smile:
Original post by John taylor
Arsey,
for question 8(c) i did (im just letting x be theta)
1 + √3 tan x = (√3 - tan x) tan (pi - x)
tan(x + pi/6) (√3 - tan x) = (√3 - tan x) tan (pi - x)
then i took everything to one side and factorised (√3 - tan x) as i thought solutions could be lost if i divided though by it.
(√3 - tan x) [tan(x + pi/6) - tan (pi - x)]=0
I got the solutions you got 5pi/12, 11pi/12 and pi/3 from (√3 - tan x)=0
The solution pi/3 is incorrect, but instead of dividing through by (√3 - tan x) you can factorise (√3 - tan x). How comes its not a solution in the range given?

????
Reply 456
Arsey, in all honesty, can you get a LOT of method marks, error carried forward marks, or generous marks (i.e. Benefit Of The Doubt) in C3 papers?
Because, I don't know how these papers are marked and was a bit interested to know.
I literally attempted every question and used whatever I can.
Yes some of the answers were right and the others were wrong.
I would appreciate it if you could let me know.
Thanks
Dang. Trumped by a stupid domain-range question. >:frown:
Original post by Angry cucumber

Original post by Angry cucumber
If it wasn't for Question 8 I would have cruised through the whole paper - I don't belive I have ever proved the tan rule with sine and cos

8b) was ok

8c) Well the less said about it the better

Retake written all over it! :frown:

haha, same, and i messed up on the equation of the normal question, i can do those questions but just they went over board with tan! but 8b i did, couldnt do a, i think il get 1 mark for the expansion, and didnt get anywhere with c... i think if im lucky and the examiners are very nice i might scrape 60/75, but i wreckon il resit it. and anyway, get back to vet med 2012 forum!!! haha i saw u on the chem paper forum too
Original post by hannah.daw
haha, same, and i messed up on the equation of the normal question, i can do those questions but just they went over board with tan! but 8b i did, couldnt do a, i think il get 1 mark for the expansion, and didnt get anywhere with c... i think if im lucky and the examiners are very nice i might scrape 60/75, but i wreckon il resit it. and anyway, get back to vet med 2012 forum!!! haha i saw u on the chem paper forum too

I'll be doing a lot of retakes in May after the last week- see you on the vet med forum and the facebook 1 aswell!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending