The Student Room Group

C3 Jan 2012 Edexcel - Post exam discussion - Solutions and paper in first post

Scroll to see replies

Reply 520
Original post by Bit-of-a-ninja:)
You still need to get over 90 in C4 to get an A* despite your c3 grade. Rules of an A* 480 points average over all the units but achieving 90% and above in both c4 and c3.

90% average in c3/c4. As I now have 100% in c3, I believe I only need 80% in c4 for an average of 90%
98 UMS. means i need 82UMS in c4, and if i get bang on 82, means i will only need around 60UMS on M1 for my a* :smile:
well it might be not such a bad thing (me retaking c3 in june alongside c4, where the concepts do overlap substantially)

i really want my A*!
92 UMS. 71/75 raw score, and I knew within 10 minutes of discussion after the exam where I'd lost those 4, so I'm pretty happy :smile: Everyone else in my class is retaking though.. someone managed 3 UMS. 3... like, 3%. How..??

So, 88 in C4.. challenge accepted :smile:

Do you think when I cash in my A-level I should use my lowest possible units to get me the grade, thereby making it easy to get an A in F. Maths AS? I've heard unis look at AS averages, but will they look at the average for the whole A-level if I've got the A* or can I just concentrate on a high UMS for f. maths?
Reply 524
Original post by Junaid96

Do you think when I cash in my A-level I should use my lowest possible units to get me the grade, thereby making it easy to get an A in F. Maths AS? I've heard unis look at AS averages, but will they look at the average for the whole A-level if I've got the A* or can I just concentrate on a high UMS for f. maths?

I would put your highest grades into your A level and your lowest grades into f.maths, as not all unis look at the further maths grade. Or at least if you can get an A* in maths, it's worth it.
Original post by mld
I would put your highest grades into your A level and your lowest grades into f.maths, as not all unis look at the further maths grade. Or at least if you can get an A* in maths, it's worth it.

I'll get an A* anyway (assuming I do well in c4! *touch wood*) regardless of which modules I put in, I'm just wondering if they will care about the average.

Surely the intelligent thing to do would be to use the least amount of UMS marks to get the A* in Maths, leaving it easier to get a good grade in F. maths too? If I put the high scores towards maths, great, I'd have a higher A*, but my further maths score would be pretty dire.
Reply 526
I'll get an A* anyway (assuming I do well in c4! *touch wood*) regardless of which modules I put in, I'm just wondering if they will care about the average.

Surely the intelligent thing to do would be to use the least amount of UMS marks to get the A* in Maths, leaving it easier to get a good grade in F. maths too? If I put the high scores towards maths, great, I'd have a higher A*, but my further maths score would be pretty dire.

I understand. Go for it then.
I need 90 in C4, here goes nothing! I can afford to get below 50 in S2 if I do!
Guys where can i find the question paper?
Going to be a resit for me. Hopefully, I'll get an A in maths.
Original post by Pen Island
I didn't do well :frown: 58 UMS, a D.
Looking at the mark scheme & grade boundaries I'm pretty sure I did better than that though, I'm thinking a B. May get it remarked.
Damn I was hoping to avoid having to do resits :redface:

I got the exact same!! I dont get it though. Im never 100% confident about exams but i swear i did better than a D. I mean i answered all the questions i did the right methods for each but i guess my answers were wrong and all calculated to a D.. but really... Yeah i want to get it remarked but i keep thinking is there really a point. I too wanted to avoid resits but i guess not. Didnt do very well in M1 either so yeah...
Original post by karmpreetheran
I got the exact same!! I dont get it though. Im never 100% confident about exams but i swear i did better than a D. I mean i answered all the questions i did the right methods for each but i guess my answers were wrong and all calculated to a D.. but really... Yeah i want to get it remarked but i keep thinking is there really a point. I too wanted to avoid resits but i guess not. Didnt do very well in M1 either so yeah...

yeah but the boundaries were high so you did exactly as what you thought :/ because it was 87% for an A 77% for a B etc so you got about 66% which I believe is normally a high-mid C :/
Reply 534
Original post by JordanS94
yeah but the boundaries were high so you did exactly as what you thought :/ because it was 87% for an A 77% for a B etc so you got about 66% which I believe is normally a high-mid C :/

Was it really 77% for a B. I worked out that I had got about 80% after the mark scheme was published, so was expecting a low A, not a low B! That explains everything. Thank you.
Has anyone seen the Jan 2013 exam timetable just out of curiosity? Whereas before C3 and C4 haven't clashed with other modules, next year they each clash with either M2/FP1. Arsey will have double the load on those nights :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)

The exam board computer does this automatically. Within the restrictions of which pairs of applied units can go in A level Maths, they give you the best pair of grades for A level Maths and AS FM, where your A level Maths grade gets priority. Once the pair of grades is fixed, they then put as many UMS into your A level Maths as possible. This is because, if you narrowly miss your UCAS offer, the university may well look at your UMS in Maths without looking at your AS FM UMS.
Original post by tiny hobbit
The exam board computer does this automatically. Within the restrictions of which pairs of applied units can go in A level Maths, they give you the best pair of grades for A level Maths and AS FM, where your A level Maths grade gets priority. Once the pair of grades is fixed, they then put as many UMS into your A level Maths as possible. This is because, if you narrowly miss your UCAS offer, the university may well look at your UMS in Maths without looking at your AS FM UMS.

Wait, are you sure?? I need to talk to the exam board then because there's no way they're doing that. There's no offer to miss - I'll have finished my A-level before I even apply, so I want maximum points towards my FM so that it's easier to get the grade in that when it does matter.
Wait, are you sure?? I need to talk to the exam board then because there's no way they're doing that. There's no offer to miss - I'll have finished my A-level before I even apply, so I want maximum points towards my FM so that it's easier to get the grade in that when it does matter.

When you have finished your exams, they will get the highest grade that you can for A level Maths followed by the highest grade that you can for your FM. Isn't that what you want?
Original post by tiny hobbit
When you have finished your exams, they will get the highest grade that you can for A level Maths followed by the highest grade that you can for your FM. Isn't that what you want?

I want the highest grade with minimum marks for my Maths. e.g. if I get my A* in C4, then I only need to submit my lower 2 applied modules, leaving the other two higher scores to give me a higher chance of getting an A in FM, which I will complete next year in upper sixth.

If, hypothetically, I had 100 in C1-4, and then 60, 70, 80, 90 in applied modules and 100 in FP1, I'd want 100, 100, 100, 100, 60, 70 for my Maths A-level (the lowest combination that will still get me an A*), and 80, 90, 100 in FM (highest number of marks towards FM without reducing the Maths grade.

Didn't you suggest they would try to max out my Maths score beyond my grade as normally you might need high UMS marks to argue your case should you miss the grade. In my case, however, there will be no negotiations with uni's as I don't apply until next year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending