The Student Room Group
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website

An honest review of Storthes Hall

Scroll to see replies

I stayed at Storthes for my first year and I wish I struggled to pay extra to stay somewhere else. The place was falling apart, I left my room for a week to find out the ventilation in my bathroom was unsatisfactory as my whole bathroom was covered in mould. I have to wash my shower curtain twice in bleach because of the mould yet they left it in that state. Many people have had an investation of silver fish, and they won't do anything about it. My clothes are stained as the washing machine ruined loads of my clothes when it flooded yet I was told I'm the one who is meant to deal with the laundry company. The place is disgusting and people are rude and I would recommend you never stay there.
(edited 8 years ago)
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website
Original post by Paigehegarty
I stayed at Storthes for my first year and I wish I struggled to pay extra to stay somewhere else. The place was falling apart, I left my room for a week to find out the ventilation in my bathroom was unsatisfactory as my whole bathroom was covered in mould. I have to wash my shower curtain twice in bleach because of the mould yet they left it in that state. Many people have had an investation of silver fish, and they won't do anything about it. My clothes are stained as the washing machine ruined loads of my clothes when it flooded yet I was told I'm the one who is meant to deal with the laundry company. The place is disgusting and people are rude and I would recommend you never stay there.

This is so helpful, and It's brilliant that you are trying to help people not experience the same things that you did.

Have you posted your review on Hallbookers? It's a review website for halls, a friend told me about it, and I think you opinion and experience could help lots more people if it was posted on there :wink:
I have done thank you :smile:
I also forgot to mention about the 2 security breaches in which we all got texts about people on the outside trying to break into flats but they did nothing to change this, a text is all they gave us, no heightened security
Reply 23

How many years ago was this?
I left a few months ago
Reply 25
I left a few months ago

OK, thanks. Are you an exception or did a lot of people suffer with accommodation like yours? By the way, what's the gym like?

Has anyone had a good experience at Storthes Hall?
Everyone I knew was angry with it, most of this applied to me, one girl who had silver fish, they said they won't do anything about her investation, she had to shower in her flat mates. The gym is poor, my friend had severe mould in her bathroom and they just painted over it, another had a broken lock on her door and they didn't ever fix it... Worst place I ever stayed at.
Reply 27
Everyone I knew was angry with it, most of this applied to me, one girl who had silver fish, they said they won't do anything about her investation, she had to shower in her flat mates. The gym is poor, my friend had severe mould in her bathroom and they just painted over it, another had a broken lock on her door and they didn't ever fix it... Worst place I ever stayed at.

I can't believe they didn't do anything about the silver fish - surely that's health and safety? That's awful. Are there a mixture of new flats and old flats at Storthes Hall?

I assume you left before the end of your contract? Was that OK to do? Were you able to get someone to take over your contract or did you have to pay all of it?
I left a few months after my last payment as I was soon finished and I wanted to get the hell out of there, there is no mixture the mod up room they show you in completely and utterly different to the other rooms, only old rooms. I just checked out and left in late May.
Reply 29
I left a few months after my last payment as I was soon finished and I wanted to get the hell out of there, there is no mixture the mod up room they show you in completely and utterly different to the other rooms, only old rooms. I just checked out and left in late May.

OK, thanks for the information :smile:
Going to Huddersfield in September. No idea on the accommodation.....
what are the types that there are? Any tips from previous occupants? Would be a great help because I have no idea where I want to go. I looked at Snow island and Castings but it's expensive. I heard many concerns and people who hated Slorthes so don't want that.
Reply 31
I wish I had listened to the comments in this thread. I've just finished living there for a year, and although not a lot of problems affected me, there were a lot of people who didn't have hot water all the time, or even clean water from the taps - this especially happened a lot.

Also, there are no lifts, so if you're on the top floor (4th), you have 12 sets of stairs to climb, which is not fun with suitcases.
Is their halal food

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending