The Student Room Group
Hey everyone :biggrin:

Haven't been on here for a while - hope you're all okay!? :smile:.
Woah, so much Birmingham hype!

Birmingham start interviewing early (start of November this year) but continue all the way through to the end of March.
In previous years they have given approx 2 weeks notice - it is two weeks 'til 01/11/12 - so they've sent the first lot of invites to interview. BUT the last ones won't be sent til mid-March.

Other medical schools don't start interviewing for aaaaaages, so no panicking til April/May!!

From my own experience, I didn't hear from ANYWHERE til February, and got three offers.
Original post by DarkAndTwisty
I can't stop checking it, help!! :eek:

Misogyny is basically the hatred of and discrimination against women :smile: Which is also rife in the Mormon faith. Sigh. I reaaaaally hope Obama wins.

To be honest I don't like Obama but he is an infinitely better alternative than Mitt Romney.

I went to an intnational scout camp with scouts (haha no ****...) last year and there was a circle of tents, each with a different faith in. Mormons are heavily involved with the Boy Scouts of America movement and so they had a tent and I went in there to find out about them. Everything was so... Clinical (?). It was like they were attempting to create a perfect life. The lady who was from Alaska (she was impressed I knew where Nome was! :lol: ) was very nice, but the insufferable smiling, coupled with "family values" each associated with another picture of a traditional white two up two down family, just freaked me out. Life isn't perfect, and I wish people could just accept flaws in what they see as a perfect life.

They got told off for canvassing emails too :teehee:
Original post by Natalie21

Hey :smile: I'm not too bad thanks - yourself??

How are you Natalie :smile: keeping well nice to see you
Reply 9945
Original post by Hippokrates
Well done that's amazing you deserve it :smile:

Original post by Anna-Jack-Hope
Hey :smile: I'm not too bad thanks - yourself??

Hey :smile:. Good to hear, I'm pretty good thank you! :smile:

Original post by AspiringGenius
How are you Natalie :smile: keeping well nice to see you

Nice to hear from you too :smile:. I'm pretty good thank you, how are you?
Reply 9947
Original post by SaintSoldier
Quick Biology Question:

State two ways in which the structure of the medulla differs from the structure of the cortex.

I (kind of) know what to say but I want to make sure that I am covering all possible points :biggrin:

Some other things to note could be the fact the renal pelvis (where urine collects before entering the ureter) and renal pyramids are found in the medulla. The other important point (about the positioning of the nephron) has already been posted by Pride.
Original post by Hippokrates
Is it only if you apply there? I got one from Dundee and I didn't apply there.

Well... "You are invited to participate in an independent anonymous survey of candidate preparation for the UKCAT being conducted by Plymouth University Schools of Medicine and Dentistry, the College of Medicine Dentistry and Nursing (University of Dundee) and the Health Informatics Centre (University of Dundee)."

I didn't apply to either. I think they sent it to everyone who sat the UKCAT!
Hey :smile:. Good to hear, I'm pretty good thank you! :smile:

Nice to hear from you too :smile:. I'm pretty good thank you, how are you?

I'm ok. Just having a peace out week after sending my application :rolleyes:
Reply 9950
UCL are being pretty bad with their FOI requests so I had to send them another message :tongue:

Dear University College London,

Please pass this on to the person who conducts Freedom of
Information reviews.

I am writing to request an internal review of University College
London's handling of my FOI request 'A100 Medicine Admission
Statistics'.

I have asked for information and it is overdue by quite some time.
I should have received a prompt reply by the 12th of October.
Clearly, I have not received anything yet. Upon further inspection
of previous FOI requests that have been made to University College
London, I have seen that there are multiple requests that have been
made to which there has been no response despite an internal review
having been requested. Therefore, I would like to remind University
College London of their legal obligation to reply promptly to FOI
requests. If I still do not receive a response within this working
week, I will be making a complaint to the Information Commissioner
regarding this and other FOI requests by other people that have
been ignored.

A full history of my FOI request and all correspondence is
available on the Internet at this address:
http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/a1...

Yours faithfully,
I'm ok. Just having a peace out week after sending my application :rolleyes:

Yay sounds good :smile:. I handed mine in nearly a month ago now, it's gone so quickly!
Original post by Revent
UCL are being pretty bad with their FOI requests so I had to send them another message :tongue:

I can't remember if you're applying there. But if you are just don't piss them off too much :wink:

Of course they are being very naughty! :u:
Yay sounds good :smile:. I handed mine in nearly a month ago now, it's gone so quickly!

Mine was only sent off on Monday (urgh long story) but I'm glad it's off now.
Reply 9954
I can't remember if you're applying there. But if you are just don't piss them off too much :wink:

Of course they are being very naughty! :u:

I am applying there :p:
Mine was only sent off on Monday (urgh long story) but I'm glad it's off now.

Wow you must have been relieved to get it in on time! Bet you were stressing, I would have been!
Reply 9956
It was more a comment on the 50000000 Americans who have no healthcare safety rope because they can't afford the insurance. Obama seems to have got halfway through making good healthcare accessible for all and there are millions of Americans stranded in the middle.

The actual healthcare (if you can afford it) is very good. But until they sort out the many issues of inequality I could never consider working in such a system.

Edit: my sources may be out of date or incorrect I read this about 6 months ago. I still don't like the system though.

ok, well the american system is like most other healthcare systems in the developed world. It's private. You need insurance, and insurance companies make a lot of money.

The problem with Obama's dream of access to great healthcare for everyone is that it's not possible with a massive country like the US (well, in my opinion). Even in a small country like ours, we're spending billions, we're borrowing loads. Healthcare isn't brilliant here, the NHS is strapped for cash, private practice opt for elective procedures to generate cash for themselves. But the NHS offer an acceptable standard of care for people of all wealths.

Consider how much bigger the US is to the UK. Is it possible to make a public good like healthcare free to all those that can't afford it, yet make those who can pay, pay?

Obama and his party are very similar to the Labour party here, in that there's all this rhetoric about helping our fellow man. But there's little substance, little acceptance of flaws in our ideal world, no honesty. And that's because honesty just doesn't get votes.
Ugh, I hate being ill :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9958
Original post by Revent

That's awesome
Original post by Revent
I am applying there :p:

:teehee: be careful!

Wow you must have been relieved to get it in on time! Bet you were stressing, I would have been!

Oh you don't even know. :rolleyes: I'm also really neurotic about technology/my college messing up so I was worried that my applications didnt go through and oh my goodness. its been a few days but i am so glad its all sent, safe and secure. Now to just concern myself with BMAT preparatino and interview practice.

Latest

Trending

Trending