The Student Room Group

First drive alone, how does it feel, are you scared in case you crash?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Go out and get lost. It's really fun.

You'll probably be a bit nervous for the first 5/10 minutes, but as soon as you get into it, it's really fun :smile:

Don't be worried - I really enjoyed it, the freedom is amazing :smile:
i wasn't that worried.. i felt weird... but it was fine and it meant i could have the radio on properly!
Reply 22
Original post by Bellissima

Original post by Bellissima
i wasn't that worried.. i felt weird... but it was fine and it meant i could have the radio on properly!

BOOM, BOOM, BOOM , Lol
I was nervous, but I put a good CD on that would make me happy and drove around an area I knew really well for a good 20-30 minutes. Not long, but it was a nice feeling knowing I was out on my own and doing ok.
Damn! How did I manage to post in the wrong thread???

As for this topic, I guess it's one of those things you just got to do. I'm sure when I get a car, i'll choose a quiet time to drive just to get my confidence up before heading out at rush hour.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 25
Its nervous for a bit but then you relax and just enjoy the freedom, and learn to drive normaly not like in strict driving lessons!
Reply 26
Quite nervous at first, but it also feels rather excilerating at the same time.
I've been driving now for 6 months (had to renew my tax today).

I love driving so much now, its become something I really enjoy. You almost become one with your car after a while. You know exactly how it works, and where you can push it, and at what gears etc to make it perform its best. It's pretty damn fun to be honest.
Reply 27
I loved it. I passed my test early in the morning and after a quick call to the insurers i was able to drive my car (a rather scrappy 1993 Fiat Panda) into college. It felt pretty good because, although the car was c**p everyone was envious of the fact i could drive. After college i took a mate out to my place (i live in the middle of nowhere) and just drove as fast as i could along an arrow straight bit of road near my house. Hand on heart that day is the day i'd most like to re-live if i had the chance.
Original post by makeasplash
I didn't find it too bad actually. I just felt confident behind the wheel and that I knew what I was doing, got completely lost mind you but it was great fun!

I agree. I thought it was slightly weird for a start,as i was used to my driving instructor being there, but after a few minutes, i forgot about it.
Actually, when i first passed my test, i prefered to drive on my own, as if my parents, sister etc where there, i felt dead paranoid. But on my own it was great, and i didnt have to worry about making mistakes or anything, as i had no one judging me and i just got on with things.
Reply 29
I kept forgetting there wasn't someone next to me. It's kind of good because if you do have a near miss, there isn't someone freaking out next to you. Obviously it's still something you want to avoid, but things are calmer when you don't have that.
Reply 30
Hey, I was just like you 4 months ago, I was really scared and I shook vigorously every time I drove, No words could've adequately describe how I felt on my first day. Worst yet, My parents got me a 2011 Toyota Fj Cruiser, it's a really really great vehicle it's snuggly and comfortable the only thing is I had to do a bay park and it took me like 3 minutes haha, but on the second day I was more relaxed and settled, I focused on the road very carefully and the night before I watched how to bay park, and everything was fine. Earlier this month my little sister got a Kia Sportage 2015 model and I drive it now and then, I must say I love the handling it's really superb and I would recommend you get one of those since they're real easy and simple to handle, doesn't take much effort
I was nervous pulling out at first - didn't help that the car was parked at the side of the road facing oncoming traffic on a busy road. Had a good drive around with the girlfriend in the passenger seat, and on the way back calculating a way to get home whilst avoiding the motorway. When I reached the motorway roundabout, I decided to just go for it and when on the motorway. It was fine, but missed my junction and came off at the next. Had to navigate some scary B roads (it was pitch black), but we got home in one piece!

Wish driving was still that exciting, but it gets to the stage where you don't even think about it...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending