The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

[QUOTE='Flo[ProActiv];38687138']450, plus I did some weights/sit ups so I'm pleased. Also managed a 1m30s plank :biggrin:

*yawn* the warm weather makes me sleepy in the afternoons. I'm going out on a couple of hours to watch the Olympic Torch.

Do you use a HRM to see how many calories you've burnt? :beard:
Original post by Yellow-nutshell
Do you use a HRM to see how many calories you've burnt? :beard:

Yeah I do :smile:
Reply 5982
no real exercise today except for walking around all day. My mum did give me £40 to get exercise clothes though and I got a pair of trainers a pair of tracksuit bottoms two pairs of shorts and 4 tops. So kind of feel like I did well with the money :cool:

have to go to the gym tomorrow and actually use some of it..
Reply 5983
Original post by boba
no real exercise today except for walking around all day. My mum did give me £40 to get exercise clothes though and I got a pair of trainers a pair of tracksuit bottoms two pairs of shorts and 4 tops. So kind of feel like I did well with the money :cool:

pretty good going considering how much exercise clothes cost nowadays! in the sale? show me pics :biggrin:
[QUOTE='Flo[ProActiv];38692963']Yeah I do :smile:

Ahh what do you use? I'm looking into getting a decent one. I have a cheapish one but I'm not sure it's entirely accurate to be honest.

Original post by boba

I love new gym clothes. Motivation to actually go! I wish I could afford new gear :frown:

__

Pretty good day.
Went to Zumbaaaa, where I apparently burnt around 400 calories, which I just don't believe. Due to lack of space (small room, many people) I couldn't really move a lot, and although I was sweaty because of the heat I definitely didn't work hard enough to warrant that type of burn. Especially as I've had the same estimate for a gym session where I've been shattered and had sweat dripping off me doing push ups. Stupid cheap HRM :angry:

Food wise was OK. A few small treats (cookies, nom!). A lot of salad.

A lot of sunbathing. I love this heat. Burn meeeeeee :colone:
Reply 5985
Original post by smoozth
pretty good going considering how much exercise clothes cost nowadays! in the sale? show me pics :biggrin:

from sports direct:
the trainers were in the sale at £18 and the shorts were two for £6.

from primark:
tracksuit bottoms £5 and 4 tops ranging from £1-£4 each. (the £1 one was in the sale others weren't)

the tops aren't really sports tops just like vest tops/ loose tops

I will go try and find my camera :smile: but there pretty basic stuff really

edit: I think my cameras at the bottom of a bag off stuff that hasn't been unpacked from uni I can't really be bothered emptying it sorry :redface:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5986
Original post by boba
from sports direct:
the trainers were in the sale at £18 and the shorts were two for £6.

from primark:
tracksuit bottoms £5 and 4 tops ranging from £1-£4 each. (the £1 one was in the sale others weren't)

the tops aren't really sports tops just like vest tops/ loose tops

I will go try and find my camera :smile: but there pretty basic stuff really

edit: I think my cameras at the bottom of a bag off stuff that hasn't been unpacked from uni I can't really be bothered emptying it sorry :redface:

hehe it's ok :biggrin: im impressed, one of the excuses i am currently using for lack of exercise is that i dont have and cant afford gym clothes *pathetic i know*
Reply 5987
Original post by smoozth
hehe it's ok :biggrin: im impressed, one of the excuses i am currently using for lack of exercise is that i dont have and cant afford gym clothes *pathetic i know*

yeah I only had one pair of tracksuit bottoms (that I actually bought the day I joined the gym I didn't already have them) and was struggling to find tops to wear. but my mum said because I actually seemed to be going regularly I should probably have more and why I said I couldn't afford them she offered to give me money it was such a happy surprise:biggrin: she also insisted I buy some trainers with some of it since the ones I've been using are hers and she wants them back haha
Original post by Yellow-nutshell
Ahh what do you use? I'm looking into getting a decent one. I have a cheapish one but I'm not sure it's entirely accurate to be honest.

I love new gym clothes. Motivation to actually go! I wish I could afford new gear :frown:

__

Pretty good day.
Went to Zumbaaaa, where I apparently burnt around 400 calories, which I just don't believe. Due to lack of space (small room, many people) I couldn't really move a lot, and although I was sweaty because of the heat I definitely didn't work hard enough to warrant that type of burn. Especially as I've had the same estimate for a gym session where I've been shattered and had sweat dripping off me doing push ups. Stupid cheap HRM :angry:

Food wise was OK. A few small treats (cookies, nom!). A lot of salad.

A lot of sunbathing. I love this heat. Burn meeeeeee :colone:

Mine's a pretty cheap one - it's this one. But it seems to be largely accurate - 450 cals sounds about right to me for 60 minutes on various machines, plus walking around in between.

Although I'm not too concerned about having an exact calorie count, since I don't count calories for food. I just find it interesting to know roughly how much I'm burning per session.
Today:

Breakfast: porridge

Lunch: chicken breast with salad
apple slices with a teaspoon of peanut butter

Snack: four squares of chocolate

Dinner: I went to the cinema and had a turkey breast subway, two satsumas and a peach. I also pinched some of my friend's haribos :wink:

Gym wise I walked over three miles and did a full body workout in the gym so pretty good!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Think this threads missing a male in-put. Didn't really read the first post so not sure if it's a female only zone :tongue:

I joined the gym at the end of May after stepping on the scales and seeing me fluctuating around the 14 stone mark. Today I'm fluctuating around the 12.5 stone mark depending on time of day. I'm 5'11 I think, maybe a tad more.

Basically want to reduce my body fat so focus on cardio more so than weights until I've reduced it more then maybe look at the weights a bit more seriously.

Had a Magnum earlier and felt very guilty afterwards. :rolleyes: Wasn't worth it either!
Original post by original_username
Think this threads missing a male in-put. Didn't really read the first post so not sure if it's a female only zone :tongue:

I joined the gym at the end of May after stepping on the scales and seeing me fluctuating around the 14 stone mark. Today I'm fluctuating around the 12.5 stone mark depending on time of day. I'm 5'11 I think, maybe a tad more.

Basically want to reduce my body fat so focus on cardio more so than weights until I've reduced it more then maybe look at the weights a bit more seriously.

Had a Magnum earlier and felt very guilty afterwards. :rolleyes: Wasn't worth it either!

I lost weight so much faster just doing weights than when I did cardio. You aren't going to get bigger just because you're lifting stuff - so long as your calories out > calories in you'll still lose weight.
Original post by Becca-Sarah
I lost weight so much faster just doing weights than when I did cardio. You aren't going to get bigger just because you're lifting stuff - so long as your calories out > calories in you'll still lose weight.

I've read that. The gym I use only has them crap weights, no free weights at all. I read that doing anything other than free weights is a waste of time pretty much?

I think I'm just enjoying the cardio more at the moment. I probably need to get more of a balance though, which will mean going to a different gym.
I've read that. The gym I use only has them crap weights, no free weights at all. I read that doing anything other than free weights is a waste of time pretty much?

I think I'm just enjoying the cardio more at the moment. I probably need to get more of a balance though, which will mean going to a different gym.

Any resistance work is gonna help... If you had access to free weights then that would be ideal, but if all you have is machines that's better than nothing.
Reply 5994

just thought I'd say welcome to the thread and reassure you that its not a female only zone :smile:
also make sure your eating well not just exercising!
Original post by boba
just thought I'd say welcome to the thread and reassure you that its not a female only zone :smile:
also make sure your eating well not just exercising!

Cheers.

I am eating well too (I think). Generally just muesli with some fruit for breakfast, fruit for a snack, then some form of salad for lunch, then dinner some meat/fish with veggies, I've tried the pulses for some carbs with my main meal but they are bloody horrible.

Normally all goes out the window once a week though when I'm out on the beers :tongue:
Was pounding the treadmill at 6:30am - did 5k run at 10.2km per hour and then 15 mins on level 8 on the stepper. It was actually a lot easier going early then it has been going after work!

Going to Pizza Express later for a farewell meal. My internship finishes tomorrow :frown: Already allocated the calories and burnt them off so it's all good. Tuna salad for lunch so it's not a write off day haha.
Reply 5997
Cheers.

I am eating well too (I think). Generally just muesli with some fruit for breakfast, fruit for a snack, then some form of salad for lunch, then dinner some meat/fish with veggies, I've tried the pulses for some carbs with my main meal but they are bloody horrible.

Normally all goes out the window once a week though when I'm out on the beers :tongue:

good :smile: just checking. are you going to weigh yourself regularly or just see how it goess?

oh and good luck!
Mmmm :smile:

Went for brunch with my mummy today - I had french toast with caramelised apples, berry compote and greek yoghurt. It was sooooooooooooooo tasty :yum: Super full now though :tongue:

We walked part way there (~25 minute walk), and I did 20 minutes of pilates before going out, so I don't feel guilty.
Reply 5999
if I'm not to achy when I get home from abs blast (never done it before have no idea what to expect) I might try planking after reading about everyones times last night

Latest