The Student Room Group

Giving up in Second Year

I've just gone into second year of A Levels, first year I didnt put tooo much effort in but managed to be predicted ABB which is what I need for my courses, but now in second year im struggling so much and it feels like im just going to fail. i have 0 motivation at all and at this point would rather just not do school. i have no motivation to revise so i just procrastinate or do other things, and i find all of my classes stressful/boring as classes changed and i havent really made friends in my new classes. sorry for vent post but i kinda needed to, cant talk to anyone about it really. has anyone experienced similar feelings who has done a levels and how do u properly get started on revising etc?
Reply 1
Yeah, little effort and ABB is still good, but you'll definitely struggle throughout this year without all the foundational knowledge from year one.. what are your courses?
You can very easily turn it around in two weeks if you just find your motivation and look over videos/any other revision that works for you from first year for each subject?

I find, once I did that earlier; you'll enjoy classes much more and rekindle your love for the subjects.
I did my A Levels many years ago (parent on here) so I’m sure other students who have more recent experience & advice will be on here soon. Just wanted to say .. the next year will go fast. You’ve still time to get over the barriers that are currently demotivating. Try thinking ahead - as in this time next year how will you feel if you’ve not tried? If you’ve already been predicted ABB then you are certainly not failing and can probably achieve all you want - if you allow yourself! Try and work out what’s stopping you - you mention the lessons are stressful and boring. I’m what way are they stressful? Boring as in not challenging enough or the way the lessons are delivered? Through our life we all have spells of low motivation… once working and funding yourself and then maybe eventually a family there’s not always the option to opt out. So try to think of a few things that might reinvigorate you! Can you find something to read/watch that’s connected to your subjects or interests or ambitions? Go for a run? Paint a picture, do some wild dancing ! Anything that helps get your mental & physical energy levels up. Diet can play a huge part too so eat healthy- take multivitamins if needed. As for new friends in new classes I’m sure you will get to know people as school has only recently started. Do you still see other friends at break/lunch etc? If so that’s enough and you can really focus in your lessons. Also - if you were my son/daughter I’d want to know if you are struggling… but understand everyone’s relationships are different so keep reaching out on here but do talk to parents/trusted person if you can x best of luck and don’t give up on a bright future whatever you decide that to be!
Original post by Character-Limit
Yeah, little effort and ABB is still good, but you'll definitely struggle throughout this year without all the foundational knowledge from year one.. what are your courses?
You can very easily turn it around in two weeks if you just find your motivation and look over videos/any other revision that works for you from first year for each subject?

I find, once I did that earlier; you'll enjoy classes much more and rekindle your love for the subjects.

I take French Geography and Psychology, i need to get going with the revision but i always find myself just losing focus after a couple of minutes whenever i revise, same happened for gcse but that just resulted in me not really revising
Reply 4
Original post by wigglewaggle321
I take French Geography and Psychology, i need to get going with the revision but i always find myself just losing focus after a couple of minutes whenever i revise, same happened for gcse but that just resulted in me not really revising

Can relate aha. if its on ur phone i tend to uninstall tik tok when i have a mock coming up as i just cant help myself and then bam 2 hours are gone..
Also recommend 'forest' its about 3GBP and u plant a tree for up to two hours while u revise, its silly but helps me as you can block urself from opening apps and also if you decide to abandon the session the tree wilts - ruining ur collection.

Its really something youve just got to commit to, its a pain to start but flies by once ur in the rythm, just think to yourself what else would u be doing for two hours? watching youtube? its something we can sacrifice for 2 hours of productivity.

cheeky espresso shot before hand doesnt do any harm either..
Original post by wigglewaggle321

Great advice by others - get rid of all distractions. Phones! Research demonstrates that even having one on your desk affects retention- even if you are not picking it up/looking at it. Apparently it just being there impacts revision. Try and set yourself some goals/targets - example you’ll do X amount of study for X amount of time without looking at phones/TV/gaming etc - then a break then crack on again. Try different revision techniques too. Just making a start can be the hardest once you get going you’ll hopefully create some momentum

Quick Reply

Latest