The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by original_username
I've no doubt you'll achieve it :wink:

Question for pretty much everyone here. Do you tend to have one day a week where you do everything you shouldn't? Generally once a weekend I'll go out on the beers, eat out if im in a pub then probably have something in the early hours if I've gone to a club. I'm about to embark on a 24 hours like that once I finish work later. Uni reunion so it would be rude not to really. :tongue:

Maybe not every week, but it certainly would not hurt to do it occasionally, say monthly?

You say that you have some drink and a pub meal in the evening? If you are strict with yourself for the day, and then treat yourself in the evening, you shouldn't do much damage :p:
Original post by boba
every now and then yes every week seems very often

52 times a year doesn't sound very often:wink:
Original post by Colour Me Pretty
Same! For me it is struggling to know what to eat that is healthy but will increase my calorie intake. I'm thinking of having soup and a slice of whole meal toast with peanut butter as snacks each day which would be an extra three hundred calories.

If that doesn't work I may have to pay my doctor a visit :')

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

You could try adding in a glass of milk?
Original post by amizzle91
Maybe not every week, but it certainly would not hurt to do it occasionally, say monthly?

You say that you have some drink and a pub meal in the evening? If you are strict with yourself for the day, and then treat yourself in the evening, you shouldn't do much damage :p:

It depends what time I meet my mates at really. Its normally on a Saturday. If we meet later it's just the lager that's ruining my calorie defecit for the day. I do need to be more strict in terms of not eating junk when I'm out but no way could I give up the one day a week of getting on the beers. :smile:
Rest day today :smile:

I had work this morning, and I've done two 1.5 hour gym sessions and two lots of POP pilates (which are KILLER) in the last 4 days, so I don't feel like I'm slacking too much. I'll do pilates again tomorrow, so then I'll have worked out 5 days this week.

I think I might treat myself to a gym class next week. Just got to decide what.

Anyone else planning on watching the Olympic opening ceremony tonight?
I think I am addicted to Boots Shapers popcorn - only 88 calories for quite a big bag :smile: only 2.6g fat and no sat fat and no sugars! Obviously salt is a little high but can't have everything :P

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by lolo66
It sounds like a lot of carbs to me- cheerios, pitta bread, fruit, ice cream, all the salad items, etc are all carbohydrates.

Would you say its too much carbs? I've just found out that due to medical reasons I shouldn't be eating alot of carbs. Is there such thing as good and bad carbs? Sorry if thats a stupid question but I'm wondering if eating lots of fruit and veg with carbs is completely different to eating like bread for example. Obviously it is different but if I'm not supposed to be eating alot of carbs, does that mean that no matter where the carbs come from I shouldnt be eating them. Hopefully all this makes sense lol
Reply 6047
Original post by ilovefashion90
Would you say its too much carbs? I've just found out that due to medical reasons I shouldn't be eating alot of carbs. Is there such thing as good and bad carbs? Sorry if thats a stupid question but I'm wondering if eating lots of fruit and veg with carbs is completely different to eating like bread for example. Obviously it is different but if I'm not supposed to be eating alot of carbs, does that mean that no matter where the carbs come from I shouldnt be eating them. Hopefully all this makes sense lol

No that all makes complete sense. It's very confusing as many people don't realise that fruit and veg are also carbs alongside the general potatoes, pasta, wheat, etc. I naturally follow a fairly low carb diet as I don't eat any grains (so no rice, bread, pasta, etc) and I limit my fruit intake and don't eat any processed sugars. You may have heard of this before but this kind of diet is called primal/paleo so have a google if you're interested. Mark's daily apple is a great beginners site. Yes there is such a thing as good and bad carbs. Sweet potato, root veg like carrots, swede, turnip, parsnip, most fruits, dark chocolate are all good carbs as they are nutrient dense. Carbs from beige foods like bread and pasta aren't so good as they're lacking in any goodness and are calorie dense. However, whether they are good or bad carbs, they are all processed in the body the same way, they all force your body to secrete insulin which tells the body to store fat, it's just that the 'good carbs' are more nutritious so it's fine to include them into your diet. Hope this makes sense, you can email me for more info if you're interested. :smile:
shared a massive bag of sweets with my friend, really wasnt worth it. Didn't even want them but its a struggle to resist when they are offered! Thats a waste of 350 calories :frown:

Have only 40 calories left for tea now, thats probably not going to happen!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6049
just had mcdonalds for the first time in so long. It was really yummy but my stomach feels so full now like its going to explode.
Original post by boba
just had mcdonalds for the first time in so long. It was really yummy but my stomach feels so full now like its going to explode.

Know what you mean, I haven't had a McDonalds chip in about 9 months - I'm almost scared to have one now, just incase I get hooked on the badness haha
Reply 6051
Original post by flamingoshoes
Know what you mean, I haven't had a McDonalds chip in about 9 months - I'm almost scared to have one now, just incase I get hooked on the badness haha

sometimes when I go places with friends and they want to eat at certain places I think like that. That I can't have it as a treat even though I usually eat well and it will be the only treat I've had for ages ect because I'm scared that it will just lead to me slipping straight back. But then I don't want to think like that as I want to have a balanced healthy relationship with food not fear it. So I tell myself it will be fine. I order it anyway... and it always is fine. I always go straight back to my normal more healthy way.

don't be scared of food!:smile:
Original post by infairverona
You could try adding in a glass of milk?

Good idea :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
I eat about 500 calories more on my days off than I do on the days after I work. (I work nights)... I only see changes on the scale after I have worked. I either need to be more strict on my days off, or exercise more? Something. I hate stalling for 3 days, then losing for 4. I'd rather lose all 7. I guess I should just be happy that I'm losing at all.

I guess the pressure of uni starting in a few months, I want to get all of it off now.
Okay, so it hasn't been the best start back to eating healthily. I've exercised, and ate perfectly well until after dinner- at which point I shared around chocolates that my parents brought me back from holiday. But today was more of a maintenance calories day rather than a "binge and gain loads of weight" day like the past week has been, so I would call that progress. Holiday chocolate consumed, nice busy day planned for tomorrow, and I have no more excuses.

Edit: also had two pieces of bad news in the past 48 hours so feeling a bit shocked/shaken.. but the good news is that I'm NOT using food to try and make myself feel better.. at least not since parents came back from holiday. In the past that's how I would have coped, but not anymore.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
Okay, so it hasn't been the best start back to eating healthily. I've exercised, and ate perfectly well until after dinner- at which point I shared around chocolates that my parents brought me back from holiday. But today was more of a maintenance calories day rather than a "binge and gain loads of weight" day like the past week has been, so I would call that progress. Holiday chocolate consumed, nice busy day planned for tomorrow, and I have no more excuses.

Edit: also had two pieces of bad news in the past 48 hours so feeling a bit shocked/shaken.. but the good news is that I'm NOT using food to try and make myself feel better.. at least not since parents came back from holiday. In the past that's how I would have coped, but not anymore.

:hugs: I'm here if you want to talk :console:
Original post by cpdavis
:hugs: I'm here if you want to talk :console:

Thanks mod ;-).
Haven't been doing the greatest with exercise the past few days. So I'm going to try and do a good load of housework before my Mum gets back from her boyfriend's tomorrow. Then if I get it all done, I'll walk down to Xtra Vision and rent a few DVD's :h: The films I want to watch aren't on Netflix, and it'll give me some exercise too, so win win.
Had a terrible few days (not diet wise, although the issues I've had has meant I haven't exercised).
My dog is ill :frown: like really ill. She hasn't eaten since Wednesday night, and has been to the vets every day since (they have kept her in for tests and possibly a drip today). I've been up every night with her cos she's been in pain (Wed-today), and have no energy at all. I'm really worried, and am now just passing a little time while we wait for a phone call from the vets.

She's a member of the family :frown: It's horrible not knowing
Original post by Emaemmaemily
Had a terrible few days (not diet wise, although the issues I've had has meant I haven't exercised).
My dog is ill :frown: like really ill. She hasn't eaten since Wednesday night, and has been to the vets every day since (they have kept her in for tests and possibly a drip today). I've been up every night with her cos she's been in pain (Wed-today), and have no energy at all. I'm really worried, and am now just passing a little time while we wait for a phone call from the vets.

She's a member of the family :frown: It's horrible not knowing

I really hope your dog gets better as soon as possible and it's not too serious. I can really empathise as several months ago my dog severed an artery on some glass and I thought he was going to bleed to death. I don't know if you're religious or not but personally I am so I'll pray your dog gets better! Be optmistic :smile::smile:

Latest