The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by stayce88
Im 2kg away from the overweight category, gonna aim to make it into the overweight by the end of september.
Dont know why people eat junk when they are stressed surely thats the best time to have an angry workout and get out all your frustrations, and feel better afterwards not worse.

Good luck! And I used to be like that, but now I either have a nice workout or go out for a walk with my music blasting :h:
Reply 6101
Original post by smoozth
Bikram Yoga? No never but I'd love to try it :biggrin: How much was your session?

Yeah. I'd really recommend it was great! It was a 'karma' class, £6 and £5 of that goes to charity.

Original post by LabyrinthWonder
I do it but I don't count it as a workout - it doesn't exhaust me at all but it actually relaxes me!

Total opposite reactions! :tongue:

Should probably have worded that better lol, I don't mean exhausting as in work out exhausting, I guess I just found the heat and the fact I'm so inflexible kind of draining but in a good way. It is pretty relaxing, I left feeling more relaxed than I have felt in a long time. I know I don't really make any sense :tongue:
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
Just withdrawn from transformation contest, my head's just not in it right now due to various things.

=( *hug* hope you're ok Gemma
Original post by MysteryPass
I’ve never been a huge fan of the whole BMI chart, but I decided to check it to see what I was. I haven’t done it since I started this two months ago, and I’m no longer in the ‘obese’ section, I’m now just in the ‘overweight’ category!

Same here! Gone from 32.2 to 26.2 :biggrin:
I've gone from 'overweight' to 'normal' in the BMI over the last 2 months. Not going to bother looking at it again now, just want to get rid of the man boobs and spare tyre and be able to fit into a 32 inch pair of jeans comfortably.

My Belly Moobs and Inches calculator!
Gym time :smile:

Wearing my new London 2012 shirt, cause I'm that cool :tongue:
Original post by The_Goose
=( *hug* hope you're ok Gemma

I will be fine, just a few things have happened to mean that I don't really have the time to think about a "transformation". I'm not saying I'm stopping eating healthily, but I'm more likely to maintain for a few weeks rather than losing. The main thing isn't actually something that's happened to me, it's my best friend, and it's meant I'll have to spend a lot of time with her helping her.. so yes I'm fine really, it's other people who aren't and I've just kinda been sucked up into it!
Stupid question in coming......

Assuming our body adjusts to exercise could that be a reason why I'm not burning as many calories as before on the cross trainer? Same level, same heart rate, you name it, it's the same- except for the calories burnt? Do I just need to change it up and throw my body a curveball?

I'd love to hear what other people think or any advice! PLEASE, I'm at my wits end :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Harriet : )

Assuming our body adjusts to exercise could that be a reason why I'm not burning as many calories as before? Same level, same heart rate, you name it, it's the same- except for the calories burnt? Do I just need to change it up and throw my body a curveball?

I'd love to hear what other people think or any advice! PLEASE, I'm at my wits end :frown:

Do you lift weights? :smile:
Can anybody shed some light on this please? I keep hearing conflicting things about eggs (of all things)

Should I have the yolks or not? I'm not a frequent egg eater but I don't know whether to just stick to the whites for my omelette tonight, but then others say that all of the nutrition is in the yolk?

WWTSRD? :P

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by amizzle91
Can anybody shed some light on this please? I keep hearing conflicting things about eggs (of all things)

Should I have the yolks or not? I'm not a frequent egg eater but I don't know whether to just stick to the whites for my omelette tonight, but then others say that all of the nutrition is in the yolk?

Eat the egg in it's entirety. Veggie body builders live on them, or so I heard Jodie Marsh say on This Morning recently :colondollar:
Just tried on my outfit for tonight, I feel great! I just hope I dont bloat up, I still dont feel as I have lost much weight but I feel like I can wear a tight skirt without worrying so much about a having a mini buddah belly.

When im back in a couple of days I may post a before and after pic, just so paranoid about people I know being on here haha.
Original post by areebmazhar
Do you lift weights? :smile:

Ha! I try to :redface: I did the weight machines then heard they weren't actually great- so switched to free weights- I do arm exercises with 2kg dumbells, I have little to none upper body strength :rolleyes:
Reply 6113

Egg yolks are one of the most nutritious things you can eat.

Assuming our body adjusts to exercise could that be a reason why I'm not burning as many calories as before on the cross trainer? Same level, same heart rate, you name it, it's the same- except for the calories burnt? Do I just need to change it up and throw my body a curveball?

As you lose weight, your body doesn't burn as many calories doing the same amount of exercise. Also as you get fitter I imagine it has the same effect as your body doesn't need to work as hard, but I can't say that bit for absolute certainty.
Original post by original_username
Eat the egg in it's entirety. Veggie body builders live on them, or so I heard Jodie Marsh say on This Morning recently :colondollar:

I shall do so then! Thanks for replying :smile:

Haven't had an omelette for ages, looking forward to it :tongue:

I have another query for you all! :smile:

Since I have been going on the rowing machine at the gym I have been getting calluses on my palms near my fingers. They're not particularly painful just a bit unsightly! Anyone got any ways of preventing me getting them? Would Vaseline work? (I'd wipe it off the handle afterwards :P)

Ha! I try to :redface: I did the weight machines then heard they weren't actually great- so switched to free weights- I do arm exercises with 2kg dumbells, I have little to none upper body strength :rolleyes:

I'm guessing you are doing a lot of cardio as well? The thing is when you are losing weight through diet only or diet and cardio, some of the weight you lose is muscle. You have Less muscle, so your metabolism decreases, so it is harder to lose weight. To put it into perspective if I do an intense 30 minutes on the treadmill I might lose 180 calories as an estimate. Butmy body burns through around 2500 calories a day by just sitting around, so the cardio is quite insignificant if you think about it. The solution is free weight so youare correct in that. But your execution is wrong I think. 2kg dumbells are very light weights even for a girl and won't build muscle. What you need to do is squats, deadlifts, bench presses, shoulder pressesetc with heavy weights and low reps to maintain muscle. Also after you have lifted weights your metabolism can increase by up to 30% for on average 24hrs (sorry I don't have the exact link for this). And also losing weight will make you smaller but not change your body recomposition. To do this you need heavy free weights. For example, losing weight for a woman will make her ass less fat but it will be saggy and flat after fat is lost from the area. But if you squat you will build a rounded and curvybackside that will look much better.
So to cut it short, lifting weights is much much more effective. Sorry if I sound patronising or anything but I have no idea of your existing knowledge on this.
If you have any more questions feel free to ask, I've lost around 45lbs so far and I really advocate the imprtance of weights. Hope this helps :smile: :smile: :smile:

And ignore the grammer, spelling etc mistakes. Typing on a touchscreen is hell!
(edited 11 years ago)
I have another query for you all! :smile:

Since I have been going on the rowing machine at the gym I have been getting calluses on my palms near my fingers. They're not particularly painful just a bit unsightly! Anyone got any ways of preventing me getting them? Would Vaseline work? (I'd wipe it off the handle afterwards :P)

Tell me about it, I get these from deadlifting heavy weights and also power cleans. I personally just ignore them but you could buy hand tape, chalk, liquid chalk, gym gloves etc. All will do the job :smile:
Got myself to the gym today; I didn't think I could manage spinning after 4 days of no exercise at all, but I ran for 40 mins on the treadmill and had a fast swim for 45 mins.
I bought myself a sports bra... Annoyed because NO shops had something in my size in the sales, so it cost me a fortune.

Latest