The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

University of Edinburgh Accommodation Thread for Entry 2012/13

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NeoNerd
Well, any of them really. All of the catered halls are in one location - Pollock Halls. So if you're going catered, it's not a choice of locations. As for self catered, 95% of them are around the central area and surroundings.

There are two main areas - the Central area around George Square, and Kings Buildings. Most arts and humanities are around central, and science is at King's Buildings. But in first year, the vast majority of your physics classes will be in the Central area. You will have to go down to KB for some things, but there's a free bus service for students.

So aim for any one of the 95% of accommodations near or around the central area or go for Pollock Halls. There are a couple of residences down by KB, but you're quite far out from most of your classes.

I am going for self catered. I looked up for it and seems like south clerk street, hermit's croft, fraser court, and blackfriars hall are ideal locations for that?

If the lectures in first year physics are mainly in central area, then it's fine to choose the hall that's in the central area. I was worried about getting to lectures on time with that distance.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 361
Original post by bee118
Hi Just wondering where would be the best self catering accomodation for studying at the college of art but also being able to get to the sports facilities. Would people say Pollock Halls is too far away for college of art students?

Thank you!

You know that Pollock is catered, not self catered, though, right? And really, the self catered places aren't exactly far from the gym/swimming pool. It's pretty easy (close) to walk to most places in the middle of Edinburgh that you'll want to get to, like classes, supermarkets, Prince's Street, the gym.
Reply 362
Original post by daeonica
You know that Pollock is catered, not self catered, though, right? And really, the self catered places aren't exactly far from the gym/swimming pool. It's pretty easy (close) to walk to most places in the middle of Edinburgh that you'll want to get to, like classes, supermarkets, Prince's Street, the gym.

Yeh I know :smile: just still deciding whether to go catered or not! Do you think Pollock halls is too much of a trek from the College of Art though? Thanks!
Reply 363
Original post by P.h.o.e.n.i.x.y
I am going for self catered. I looked up for it and seems like south clerk street, hermit's croft, fraser court, and blackfriars hall are ideal locations for that?

If the lectures in first year physics are mainly in central area, then it's fine to choose the hall that's in the central area. I was worried about getting to lectures on time with that distance.

Blackfriars isn't available for new students - it's for second years and above only. I think all the physics lectures are in the central area in first year. You may have tutorials and some practical classes in KB. But in any case, there's the regular free bus service, as well as the Lothian Buses services that go to KB or right past it.

Original post by bee118
Yeh I know :smile: just still deciding whether to go catered or not! Do you think Pollock halls is too much of a trek from the College of Art though? Thanks!

It's about a twenty minute to half-hour walk from Pollock to the ECA. So not hugely excessive, but it might be more that you'd want to do. I currently live about 15 - 20 minutes away from where my classes were. It's perfectly fine.
Reply 364
So, as a first year Astrophysics student, I'd ideally aim for accommodation near the central area?

And, how's cycling in Edinburgh? :laugh: I mean, I'm Dutch, we cycle everywhere, all the time. Or am I likely to get killed if I dare to use a bicycle? The walking distances might be fine but I much prefer cycling to walking as it's a lot quicker, obviously :tongue:
Reply 365
Original post by itssdj
Hi! I am 20 years old, and I will be coming to Edinburgh from the US as a second year in fall. I am really not sure what my best move is when it comes to accommodation. I think I would be a bit older than others who are in self catered, and I am not even sure if I qualify for University Housing.... Are studios or one bedroom apartments really pricey?

Just to put you at ease. I'm 20 as well and am planning to go for self-catered, so don't think you should worried about it. :smile:
Original post by CheerWay
Just to put you at ease. I'm 20 as well and am planning to go for self-catered, so don't think you should worried about it. :smile:

*waves* Me too! I'll be 21 by the time I'm away to Edinburgh myself. I'm going self-catered. Also seconding the person asking about cycling--dunno how I'd go about procuring the bike, but I'm quite happy getting around on one these days.
Reply 367
Does anyone know where I can find a pros and cons list of the accommodation or something like that?!
Reply 368
Original post by elebuughoti
*waves* Me too! I'll be 21 by the time I'm away to Edinburgh myself. I'm going self-catered. Also seconding the person asking about cycling--dunno how I'd go about procuring the bike, but I'm quite happy getting around on one these days.

Yay me too! I'll be turning 21 in the 2nd semester. Doing self-catered too.
Reply 369
Original post by topiwopi
Does anyone know where I can find a pros and cons list of the accommodation or something like that?!

I have never seen one. So I just made my own on Excel and took notes while I went through the accomodation profiles (incl. floor plan and location). I thought it would take me forever, but it actually didn't, once I realized which characteristics they all have in common^^
Reply 370
Original post by MiriamG
I have never seen one. So I just made my own on Excel and took notes while I went through the accomodation profiles (incl. floor plan and location). I thought it would take me forever, but it actually didn't, once I realized which characteristics they all have in common^^

yeah thats what i'm doing as we speak! but i didnt think of an excel document! :smile: thanks
i'm really sorry if this is somewhere already, but i'm sure i found a list of all the equipment, furniture, etc that is provided in the accommodation and what we need to bring, like pillows and duvets, etc. does anyone know where it is?
Reply 372
Original post by dizzeedollee
i'm really sorry if this is somewhere already, but i'm sure i found a list of all the equipment, furniture, etc that is provided in the accommodation and what we need to bring, like pillows and duvets, etc. does anyone know where it is?

what type of accommodation have you applied for?
self catered :smile:
i'm sure i found something on the edinburgh website detailing what's provided and what we need to bring, just can't find it now D:
Reply 374
Original post by dizzeedollee
self catered :smile:
i'm sure i found something on the edinburgh website detailing what's provided and what we need to bring, just can't find it now D:

it's got quite limited information, but i think this might be what you're looking for :smile: http://www.ed.ac.uk/schools-departments/accommodation-services/current-students/facilities/housekeeping/self-catered
Reply 375
Has anyone who is going study at the college of art applied for Pollock halls? Also, when is the deadline for accommodation applications!? Thanks! x
Reply 376
Hi guys, I can't go down to Edinburgh until this Sept so help appreciated. :smile:

I'm a first year Arch student and I heard that first year lectures are mostly in ECA.(enlighten me on this) Can anyone suggest self-catered accommodation that's under 20 mins from ECA? Most of them seem to be quite far away on Google Map.

At the moment, I'm favoring Nicolson and Warrender Park C/R. However Nicolson seems to be tiny and there's no communal area? I like the Warrender area, but is it good idea for a fresher to live in a mainly post-grad accommodation? Thanks! :smile:

Cheers.
Roughly 2 weeks ago, I saw on the accommodation section of the Uni website that they were adding new accommodation choices for 2012/2013, they named about 4/5 for Self-Catered Undergraduates and some for Postgraduates and said I'd find more information on the self-catered accommodation page. I went onto that and they weren't listed and they also weren't in the choices in the actual accommodation application, the article is gone too? They were all En-suite and had something to do with Unite? Anyway, I wanted to apply for them but the news article about it seems to have disappeared and it was above the ECA news article. They mentioned how the prices would match their current and en-suite was something that they weren't able to offer before, but is increasing in popularity. Any idea's what's up?

This "new" accommodation really took my fancy haha :smile:
Edinburgh is my insurance, but just in case, my accomodation application is:

(All small single room with shared bathroom)
1. Robertson's close
2. 5 nicolson street and 5 south college street
3. College wynd
Reply 379
Original post by Eileen_
So, as a first year Astrophysics student, I'd ideally aim for accommodation near the central area?

And, how's cycling in Edinburgh? :laugh: I mean, I'm Dutch, we cycle everywhere, all the time. Or am I likely to get killed if I dare to use a bicycle? The walking distances might be fine but I much prefer cycling to walking as it's a lot quicker, obviously :tongue:

I don't think you're going to get killed provided you are somewhat cautious on main roads and crossing them and take all the usual cyclist precautions when mingling with traffic.

A good starting point is the University's cycling page.
http://www.ed.ac.uk/schools-departments/transport/cycling

There are quite a lot of dedicated cycle routes and they vary in quality but they are improving.
http://edinburgh.cyclestreets.net/

It's not as good as the Netherlands obviously, but I think you will get on fine.

Quick Reply

Latest