The Student Room Group

Babies and donations

Hey,

I'm just wondering whether babies can donate organs, bone marrow, blood (obviously not going to an organ donor centre like normal though aha :tongue: ) etc?

If so, can babies donate organs to other adults or other babies?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mike2niner4
Hey,

I'm just wondering whether babies can donate organs, bone marrow, blood (obviously not going to an organ donor centre like normal though aha :tongue: ) etc?

There are rather a few ethical issues with taking organs from infants :s-smilie:

Children can join the donor register, but their parents will be asked for consent should a situation arise where donation is possible. You do occasionally hear of youngish siblings donating bone marrow to help a brother or sister.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Hey,

Why do you mind me asking? It seems really cruel
Reply 3
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
There are rather a few ethical issues with taking organs from infants :s-smilie:

Children can join the donor register, but their parents will be asked for consent should a situation arise where donation is possible. You do occasionally hear of youngish siblings donating bone marrow to help a brother or sister.

I suspect that the question has arisen due to this (I'll try and find a different source later). The BMA's proposals relate to elective ventilation. However, note:

New-born babies would also be allowed to become donors under the proposals. Once a baby is found to be close to death, its heart could be retrieved and used for donation.

In other words, it sounds like there'd be an opt-in system of some kind anyway.
Reply 4
Original post by Aylish
Why do you mind me asking? It seems really cruel

Just wondering what the rules are! :smile: Does seem pretty cruel though!

Original post by Tortious
I suspect that the question has arisen due to this (I'll try and find a different source later). The BMA's proposals relate to elective ventilation. However, note:

In other words, it sounds like there'd be an opt-in system of some kind anyway.

Thanks, that's really interesting! :smile:
Reply 5
Hey,

Organs and bone marrow, yes; blood no - that's only from people over 17.

Usually the organs go to someone of a similar size i.e. another baby/small child. Bone marrow and/or cord blood (which contains stem cells) can be given to anyone.
Reply 6
Original post by Helenia
Organs and bone marrow, yes; blood no - that's only from people over 17.

Usually the organs go to someone of a similar size i.e. another baby/small child. Bone marrow and/or cord blood (which contains stem cells) can be given to anyone.

Can organs from adult donors be given to babies/small children??

Do you honestly think they'd fit?
Reply 8
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx

Maybe they could cut them down :tongue:
Reply 9
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx

Maybe they could cut them down :tongue:

Indeed - you can actually transplant portions of liver. One adult liver can be used to treat two children, so its actually more effective. Transplants of adult kidneys into children has so far shown great success - better than adults as tolerance is easier to induce in children. Hearts have to be a closer match but it can still be done.

Space is not the limiting factor - the body is pretty squishy! Its the pooling of blood in the new organ that is the issue, along with the normal tissue rejection stuff, but we seem to be able to overcome it in a surprising number of cases.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10

Not if there's too much of a size difference. Livers can be split, as nexttime says, but for hearts, lungs etc, generally they try to get a reasonable size match. I don't know about kidneys.
Reply 11
Original post by nexttime
Indeed - you can actually transplant portions of liver. One adult liver can be used to treat two children, so its actually more effective. Transplants of adult kidneys into children has so far shown great success - better than adults as tolerance is easier to induce in children. Hearts have to be a closer match but it can still be done.

Space is not the limiting factor - the body is pretty squishy! Its the pooling of blood in the new organ that is the issue, along with the normal tissue rejection stuff, but we seem to be able to overcome it in a surprising number of cases.

I'll have to donate my liver to a child so I help 2 people instead of 1 :wink:

What is the pooling of blood problem??

Also, would a split liver then continue to grow as the child grows in size so that it is eventually a full sized liver?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 12

What is the pooling of blood problem??

Also, would a split liver then continue to grow as the child grows in size so that it is eventually a full sized liver?

No the transplanted split liver will not regenerate or grow. It is more a functional restoration, rather than a physical one.
Reply 13

You don't get to choose :p:
Reply 14
Original post by .eXe
No the transplanted split liver will not regenerate or grow. It is more a functional restoration, rather than a physical one.

Liver does regenerate in vivo, to an extent - why does it not in a transplant?
Reply 15
i could very well be wrong but im sure i;ve heard of [at least in america] of parents having a second child to act as a source of 'spare parts' for their first born child i.e. give the elder child marrow, maybe a kidney etc.
Original post by cl_steele
i could very well be wrong but im sure i;ve heard of [at least in america] of parents having a second child to act as a source of 'spare parts' for their first born child i.e. give the elder child marrow, maybe a kidney etc.

Yup, very unethical that :frown:
damn i thought this was a Donate a Baby thread.
Reply 18
Original post by Wangers
Liver does regenerate in vivo, to an extent - why does it not in a transplant?

It's not regeneration in the technical meaning of the term. The scientific term is "compensatory regeneration" which means...regeneration only to help function rather than physiology.

So for example, lets say you cut a liver and transplant it, it will regenerate only those areas which help it to function. So if there are active bleeds in the organ, they will be cleared away, minor lobe regeneration can occur in order to heal local areas.

However, what regeneration actually means (and what the other person intended it to mean) was total and complete regeneration...like a starfish...where the entire liver would grow back any missing lobes and return back to its original size and shape.

This is not possible and does not occur.

Only localized and compensatory regeneration, rather than total regeneration occur. Hope that helps :smile:

Yes, within reason. When i was 9 i recieved a heart transplant from a young adult donor. The heart was too large for my small frame initially (it had also swelled slightly due to being handled) therefore my ribcage was clamped open and was left for a few days for my heart to settle into it's new space (my chest was covered with a sterile covering so infection couldn't get into the cavity). I know that's how it works with hearts...not sure about other organs i'm afraid.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending