The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Straight up G
lol, I'd be happy with us chasing 250.

Was I wrong?

Lovely innings by Cook really put the efforts of all the other batsmen to shame. Match winning innings all the way.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by Captain Crash
I believe both myself and Py0alb were, whilst criticising the England batting. What are you trying to say?

In any case - meh, this is just an ODI. Would have preferred to have seen England lose 2-0 in the test series than win an ODI.

Right. Yet again the bowling was encouraging. The batting continued to be a worry as only Bopara and Cook had any kind of fluency with the bat. I think Bopara or maybe Patel will replace Morgan for the test series in Sri Lanka and India.

The batting is a worry on the subcontinent. No doubt England have a very good batting lineup, but not on the subcontinent.
(edited 12 years ago)
Cook's innings really was :adore:

Pak didn't even manage to make how many runs he made single-handedly. And this was an innings in conditions unfavourable to him.

Was suprised to see England reaching 260 when I tuned in this morning.
Reply 23
Original post by Straight up G
Well played England, Cook and Finn were on a different level.

Ajmal bowled well too, although ODI cricket is a different ball game - there is no real battle between batsmen and bowler because you only bowl a few overs (10 of 50) each.

Having said that the 2 new balls does make ODI cricket more like test cricket. Perfect for guys like Cook, an instinctively dogged and cautious player. Big totals are going to be harder to chase now.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 24
C'mon pakistan!!!
Original post by Raiden10
Was I wrong?

Lovely innings by Cook really put the efforts of all the other batsmen to shame. Match winning innings all the way.

Exceptionally poor performance from Pakistan, I always favour them defending a total, no matter how small.

However, I doubt we'll see an equally poor batting performance by Pakistan in this series.
Original post by ♥ ♥
Cook's innings really was :adore:

Pak didn't even manage to make how many runs he made single-handedly. And this was an innings in conditions unfavourable to him.

Was suprised to see England reaching 260 when I tuned in this morning.

Its early days yet, lets not get a head of ourselves, there's still plenty of cricket to play.
Reply 27
Well I definitely can't multi-task, I ended up watching the whole match instead of doing my essay :teehee: Anyway, great performance by England. Cook led from the front and what a difference it made compared to the Test series. A few wobbles with KP still needing to convince and Morgan out of form but everything else was pretty good. I agreed with what Nasser was saying about this series being the 'last chance saloon' for Bopara, KP, etc and I'd add Jimmy to that list aswell. He doesn't look like the same bowler in the shorter formats and he doesn't really seem like his heart's in it either. With the depth of bowling England have, maybe it would be better for him to concentrate on Test cricket but I can't see this happening any time soon.

Cricket's a strange game, who would have predicted that Pakistan would obliterate England in the Test series and England would outplay Pakistan in the ODIs? Still, it's only the first match. There's much more unexpectedness to come I reckon!
Original post by King-Panther
Its early days yet, lets not get a head of ourselves, there's still plenty of cricket to play.

Lol, how am I getting 'a head' of myself :teehee:

I'm just stating a fact, that Pak made 130 altogether, and that Cook himself made 137.

Nor did I imply that Pak were unable to win any matches, or that England would even win another game?

I'm not even being biased here. I'm neutral :biggrin:
Original post by Rachael.
Well I definitely can't multi-task, I ended up watching the whole match instead of doing my essay :teehee: Anyway, great performance by England. Cook led from the front and what a difference it made compared to the Test series. A few wobbles with KP still needing to convince and Morgan out of form but everything else was pretty good. I agreed with what Nasser was saying about this series being the 'last chance saloon' for Bopara, KP, etc and I'd add Jimmy to that list aswell. He doesn't look like the same bowler in the shorter formats and he doesn't really seem like his heart's in it either. With the depth of bowling England have, maybe it would be better for him to concentrate on Test cricket but I can't see this happening any time soon.

Cricket's a strange game, who would have predicted that Pakistan would obliterate England in the Test series and England would outplay Pakistan in the ODIs? Still, it's only the first match. There's much more unexpectedness to come I reckon!

Repped for the bold :thumbsup:
Agree completely :biggrin:
Original post by ♥ ♥
Lol, how am I getting 'a head' of myself :teehee:

I'm just stating a fact, that Pak made 130 altogether, and that Cook himself made 137.

Nor did I imply that Pak were unable to win any matches, or that England would even win another game?

I'm not even being biased here. I'm neutral :biggrin:

It was a great performance but lets be modest, theres a long way to go yet.
It was a great performance but lets be modest, theres a long way to go yet.

Of course. I was simply complimenting Cook's innings. I don't see why you're prolonging this? :L

It's quite obvious that there is a long way to go. There are still 3 ODIs and three T20s to go!

I never said anything about either team in terms of who's going to win the series :facepalm:
Reply 32
Original post by ♥ ♥
Repped for the bold :thumbsup:
Agree completely :biggrin:

Thanks, here's some rep for you too! :colondollar:
Original post by ♥ ♥
Of course. I was simply complimenting Cook's innings. I don't see why you're prolonging this? :L

It's quite obvious that there is a long way to go. There are still 3 ODIs and three T20s to go!

I never said anything about either team in terms of who's going to win the series :facepalm:

Indeed but it also seemed as if you were trying to mock Pakistan.

Indian fan right?
Original post by Rachael.
Thanks, here's some rep for you too! :colondollar:

Made my day :blush:
Indeed but it also seemed as if you were trying to mock Pakistan.

Indian fan right?

Why would I do that? I want Pak to win the series!

And it wasn't mocking. It was stating fact.

Yes, why?
Original post by ♥ ♥
Why would I do that? I want Pak to win the series!

And it wasn't mocking. It was stating fact.

Yes, why?

O.k, I believe you (not trying to mock) because I do remember speaking to you throughout the test series......
O.k, I believe you (not trying to mock) because I do remember speaking to you throughout the test series......

Throughout the test series? I've only just come on to this society? :confused:
Reply 38
Original post by ♥ ♥
Made my day :blush:

Aww, no problem! :tongue:
Original post by ♥ ♥
Throughout the test series? I've only just come on to this society? :confused:

Oh, must be someone else, well I suppose all Indians do look the same. :biggrin: :wink:

Latest