The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

We won't get much play today. The scene at Headingley is grey skies as far as the eye can see with rain still falling heavily.
Original post by Mackay
We won't get much play today. The scene at Headingley is grey skies as far as the eye can see with rain still falling heavily.

:frown:

Hoping Lyth can knock a few nevertheless.
BBC Weather's Matt Taylor on TMS: "It's been a thoroughly soggy morning. The optimist in me says they should be out there by about 13;00 BST. Once they are out, I'm hopeful they will stay out there most of the day - with just a slight chance of a passing shower. Saturday is the best chance of a full day - Tuesday, the final day, looks like it could be more off than on."
Original post by Mackay
BBC Weather's Matt Taylor on TMS: "It's been a thoroughly soggy morning. The optimist in me says they should be out there by about 13;00 BST. Once they are out, I'm hopeful they will stay out there most of the day - with just a slight chance of a passing shower. Saturday is the best chance of a full day - Tuesday, the final day, looks like it could be more off than on."

1pm isn't too bad. As we now can't lose the series, I'm hoping for something ballsy from Cook. Some good hitting and NOT BEING AFRAID TO DECLARE.
I want KP back regardless. Yes, Ben Stokes has the X factor and people will think he's like KP. But, the Australian team is full of X factor players throughout. They have Shane Watson, Maxwell, Warner, Faulkner.. Their whole team smash it! Even the tail end!!! England have rocks and sparks but no fire.
No sign of the covers coming off - not a good sign. Early lunch to be taken at 12:30.
NZ batting first. Heard that it was a dry pitch and the sun is out so a bit surprised that England chose to field but we will see :redface:
Reply 7927
Original post by moment of truth
NZ batting first. Heard that it was a dry pitch and the sun is out so a bit surprised that England chose to field but we will see :redface:

Lots of rain to come over the next few days, this way england can draw the game out more comfortably rather than losing a bunch of wickets early on in the morning and possibly giving new Zealand a win.
Anderson opens the bowling, on 399 wickets for England and counting...

Come on, Jimmy!
Anderson gets Guptill!
Jimmy gets Williamson now. Bloody hell! 2-2.
NZ in massive trouble, once again.
Very nice start. Let's hope they can plough on to 7.30.
Damn it! Chibhabha deserved that century.
Reply 7934
Looking at the 400 test wickets club for pacers and you can't help but think jimmy looks out of place... (barring Kapil dev who was an all rounder anyway)
The weather in Yorkshire is such a tease.
Congratulations Jimmy, one of the best fast bowlers England has produced and he still has a few years left in him!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Enginerd.
You wouldn't want Hales to be in the team other then the opener? Why?

Posted from TSR Mobile

There is many a person ahead of Hales in regards to a middle order slot. James Taylor immediately comes to mind, having been given 3 innings against the South Africans and then dropped to the bottom of the pecking order. He has done all he can and more in first class cricket and certainly deserves an extended run in the team. Hales is in great form, but his primary asset (his attacking flair) seems to have been replicated by the likes of Stokes, Ali and Buttler who can all take the attack to the bowler. I would love to see Moeen Ali in at 5, he has shown the ability to both aggressively in most of his innings, as well as defensively (last day at Headingley vs Sri Lanka comes to mind). By doing that, you still have Buttler in at 7 and can get in a proper spin bowler or another pace bowling option who can bat like Chris Jordan.

I still think England will struggle against Australia despite of their performance last week. I am not completely convinced by Stokes, although his innings was very impressive against a pretty decent New Zealand bowling attack. He has been pretty inconsistent in his performances, with few peformances of note so far in his career (Sydney 2012, Perth 2012, Lords 2015). Last week is perhaps the only instance where he has performed well with ball and both in the same test match, which is required of an all rounder. I still doubt his bowling ability, and what he has in his arsenal apart for bowling 90+ mph, which is pretty useless if you have no control and consequently can be very expensive which he often is. Before we compare him to players of Botham and Flintoff's ilk, let's see him perform against this Australian side this summer.
Runs flowing for NZ now.
Taylor made it far too easy for England there. Easy decision for the umpire, and no need to even think about a review.

Latest