The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Frankster
Ajinkya has been playing for Rajasthan Royals. Mukund is a genuine Test batsman - unfortunate that he doesn't get enough chances. Murali Vijay is a waste - he should spend his life concentrating on IPL, because it is people like him who portray the IPL as bad and a detriment to Indian Cricket. Manoj Tiwary is not getting enough chances - I believe he should ... he hasn't played since his last century. Saurabh is not in favour because of the captain's choice. Dhoni prefers what Srrikanth is telling him, which is out of order. So the IPL is a benefit.

Rahane was picked for the England series because he performed well in the Emerging players tournament not the IPL
I support Pune Warriors (hometown) and totally agree with you on people blaming the IPL. Ive been trying to convince people otherwise... but as Straight Up G thinks "I don't seem to understand"..

What team do you support ? let me guess, RCB?

Aaah, cool. I know, I just don't understand why it is to blame. Yes, I understand it probably has contributed to our losses a bit, but it isn't like some 'huge' reason. More importantly it's India playing too much ODI and T20 cricket at home, so much so, that they don't know how to cope abroad.

Yeah RCB, how'd you guess?

:O Pessimistic much ?

Nope. Pretty damn realistic :L
Original post by shyamshah
Viru and Gauti were both injured before the IPL and even then they played the IPL and decided to have surgery after the IPL finished, this resulted in them both missing the WI tour and missing the first two test matches of the England series so the IPL had a huge impact on the England series, also Pujara got injured during the IPL and then was not available for the rest of the year.

So it's not the IPL's fault, it's Gauti and Viru's fault for not putting the national side before their other commitments, hardly can blame the IPL for it. No one forced them to play?

And Pujara could have gotten injured anywhere. Take Rohit Sharma, first ball in England that he faced, broke his finger, out of the series. For God's sake, he could have gotten injured during a training session, twisted his ankle, broken his foot, who knows?

My point is, you can't blame the IPL for everything.
I dont think its really fair to consider Dhoni as a better ODI batsmen to Sachin at this stage of his career, if Dhoni bats up the order like Sachin does and then still scores a lot of runs and maintains the record he does now then maybe. In terms of test matches i can understand that but say you are trying to chase a target of around 280 in a day surely you would prefer Sachin to be there instead of Dravid.
Do you consider Sachin as one of the greatest ever or just a great?

Sachin is a great batsmen, but most that comes from his longevity. If we're talking about picking a team to stick with for 20 years and perform very well, Tendulkar is clearly the top of the list. However, if you are selecting the best batsmen for a given game or even over a period spanning several years, there are many batsmen I would pick ahead of Tendulkar, or at least the Tendulkar we've seen over the past 10 years.

If we're talking greatest ever, there is only one batsman truly fit to be called that. No-one else should even be mentioned in the same breath.
Original post by ♥ ♥
So it's not the IPL's fault, it's Gauti and Viru's fault for not putting the national side before their other commitments, hardly can blame the IPL for it. No one forced them to play?

And Pujara could have gotten injured anywhere. Take Rohit Sharma, first ball in England that he faced, broke his finger, out of the series. For God's sake, he could have gotten injured during a training session, twisted his ankle, broken his foot, who knows?

My point is, you can't blame the IPL for everything.

I agree but as the IPL offers a lot of money to ech player and that persuades them to play, overall that is the IPLs fault and surely behind the scenes the BCCI tell the main players for example Viru and Gauti that they have to play so that they will receive a lot of money. For Pujara i understand what you mean.
Original post by ♥ ♥
Aaah, cool. I know, I just don't understand why it is to blame. Yes, I understand it probably has contributed to our losses a bit, but it isn't like some 'huge' reason. More importantly it's India playing too much ODI and T20 cricket at home, so much so, that they don't know how to cope abroad.

Yeah RCB, how'd you guess?

Lol, dunno .. lucky guess.:tongue:
I agree but as the IPL offers a lot of money to ech player and that persuades them to play, overall that is the IPLs fault and surely behind the scenes the BCCI tell the main players for example Viru and Gauti that they have to play so that they will receive a lot of money. For Pujara i understand what you mean.

Surely they have their own common sense too. If they're after money, and not playing for the national team, I don't see how it's the IPL's fault. Yes, the money is tempting, but it's not like they're new guys, who haven't already established themselves at the higher level.

Lol, dunno .. lucky guess.:tongue:

Lol, okay then :L
But yeah, I'm a loyal RCB fan. Although I should be rooting for Punjab for my roots :L

Pune are nothing without Yuvi :cry:

I like CSK a lot though, 'cos of the dominance of Indian players :blush:
Original post by ♥ ♥
Surely they have their own common sense too. If they're after money, and not playing for the national team, I don't see how it's the IPL's fault. Yes, the money is tempting, but it's not like they're new guys, who haven't already established themselves at the higher level.

Lol, okay then :L
But yeah, I'm a loyal RCB fan. Although I should be rooting for Punjab for my roots :L

Pune are nothing without Yuvi :cry:

I like CSK a lot though, 'cos of the dominance of Indian players :blush:

True that. But, we do have decent players - Dada, Graeme Smith, Luke Wright and our coaching staff is quite balanced with Allan Donald... I reckon we may have a chance. Michael Clarke might join us. But RCB's batting is just too good.
However I think you lack in the bowling side.
True that. But, we do have decent players - Dada, Graeme Smith, Luke Wright and our coaching staff is quite balanced with Allan Donald... I reckon we may have a chance. Michael Clarke might join us. But RCB's batting is just too good.
However I think you lack in the bowling side.

True. You have Uthappa as well? He's pretty awesome when in form. Not sure how Luke Wright will play in Indian conditions but..:smile:

To be honest RCB's batting consists of Dilli, Gayle (obviously), Kohli and AB De Villiers. They spend millions on Saurabh Tiwary who has done **** all, then Mayank Aggarwal who, well, yeah, he flopped too.

Defo lacking in the bowling. Zak hasn't really been a good bowler in the shorter form anyway, then Nannes? He hasn't done much. Aravind is generally very expensive, but has potential. Mithun? Vettori is very handy with his bowling. Same with Dilli actually. RCB have an advantage playing at the Chinnaswamy though, if they bat second, they can chase down ANY target :L
Original post by ♥ ♥
True. You have Uthappa as well? He's pretty awesome when in form. Not sure how Luke Wright will play in Indian conditions but..:smile:

To be honest RCB's batting consists of Dilli, Gayle (obviously), Kohli and AB De Villiers. They spend millions on Saurabh Tiwary who has done **** all, then Mayank Aggarwal who, well, yeah, he flopped too.

Defo lacking in the bowling. Zak hasn't really been a good bowler in the shorter form anyway, then Nannes? He hasn't done much. Aravind is generally very expensive, but has potential. Mithun? Vettori is very handy with his bowling. Same with Dilli actually. RCB have an advantage playing at the Chinnaswamy though, if they bat second, they can chase down ANY target :L

Yeah, forgot about Robbie... probs because he is awesome IF in form! Every time he gets picked for the national side he fails. :frown: Luke Wright should be able to adapt.. he is that kind of a player. He is a handy bowler too if need be.
I reckon RCB is top heavy - Dilli, Gayle, Kohli, AB.. don't see anyone coming after them..? Which is why they lost the Champions Trophy to Mumbai Indians because once Harbhajan got Gayle out cheaply, they couldn't even make 150-odd.
RCB has a good track, plenty of runs. Matches that I am keen for are PW v MI, RCB v PW and KKR v PW (would love to see Ganguly's reception at his home ground against his home team). Oh, and not to forget, we have a new stadium! Subrata Roy - waiting to see how it turns out.
Original post by ♥ ♥

Thats true, the main problem is that the tournament goes on for about 2 months which in with our schedule is too much, also since the IPL has come Test cricket in India has become less popular that is also just generally because of T20 cricket and not just IPL, but the IPL adds to it.
I reckon there should be an "Ashes" type series biennially between India and Pakistan to bring back Test cricket to India and fill the seats. This way the IPL will also complement the Test cricket.
ICC should have 2 team series with: 3 tests-3 ODIs-3 T20s.... not 5 tests and 7 ODIs and then 2 t20s... just too tiring. this way there will be less fatigue within the players themselves.
I reckon there should be an "Ashes" type series biennially between India and Pakistan to bring back Test cricket to India and fill the seats. This way the IPL will also complement the Test cricket. ICC should have 2 team series with: 3 tests-3 ODIs-3 T20s.... not 5 tests and 7 ODIs and then 2 t20s... just too tiring. this way there will be less fatigue within the players themselves.
That is a very good idea but can you really see this happening? Until our relationship with Pakistan improves we wont have a series against Pakistan at home or away
That is a very good idea but can you really see this happening? Until our relationship with Pakistan improves we wont have a series against Pakistan at home or away

Yea I know. But its time that we put politics aside, and let Sport takes it toll. We can't just not play each other... Of course with the Mumbai attacks it was Pakistan's fault and the recent Bin Laden being killed IN pakistan means that it has made it tougher... but I think more people would come and watch cricket in India than in Pakistan.
Yea I know. But its time that we put politics aside, and let Sport takes it toll. We can't just not play each other... Of course with the Mumbai attacks it was Pakistan's fault and the recent Bin Laden being killed IN pakistan means that it has made it tougher... but I think more people would come and watch cricket in India than in Pakistan.
Yeah and both nations need this to happen quickly, but with the BCCI i cant see this happening at all, well at least not in the next few years.

Indians just make me piss myself.

Various members of these boards have asked why I seem to have some agenda against the Indian cricket team, and I've answered that I don't, in any way, I just despise Indian fans, and the above is just a good example of it.
Original post by Straight up G
Indians just make me piss myself.

Various members of these boards have asked why I seem to have some agenda against the Indian cricket team, and I've answered that I don't, in any way, I just despise Indian fans, and the above is just a good example of it.

Haha i can understand how you feel, but that is not all Indian fans just a few, I respect Pakistan a lot
Haha i can understand how you feel, but that is not all Indian fans just a few, I respect Pakistan a lot

Fair play mate, and I know, yeah, not all of them.
What is the best website to watch the match tomorrow?
Original post by Straight up G
Fair play mate, and I know, yeah, not all of them.

I guess its the same with every team though, like some supporters are going to hate on others and some will just be normal, like i went to Lords last year and i went with a few England supporters and they made fun out of nearly all of the Indian players apart from Sachin and Dravid, as everyone respects them.

Latest