The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Strangeclouds
Read this on Pakpassion just now, almost wet myself.

There's a massive thread on Kamran Akmal, detailing 88 dropped catches he's made since 2006 or something, telling you what the batsman's score was on when he dropped them, what they finally made, and giving the cricinfo commentary of the delivery/catch etc. So someone tries to stick up for Kamran Akmal, and this was one of the replies;

An ODI average of 27 isn't that bad for a keeper tbh. We seem to forget that not all wicketkeepers are great batsmen ala Gilchrist, or to a lesser extend Dhoni.

That being said, Akmal is an awful keeper lol.
Original post by dgeorge
An ODI average of 27 isn't that bad for a keeper tbh. We seem to forget that not all wicketkeepers are great batsmen ala Gilchrist, or to a lesser extend Dhoni.

That being said, Akmal is an awful keeper lol.

In the modern limited overs game, that batting average is unacceptable, though Pakistan being Pakistan, we could live with it. The catching I don't even go into, he's cost us at least 15 games single handedly and then many others he's played a large role in. Apparently Sami's average would be in the 30s not 50s had Kamran done his job properly.
In the modern limited overs game, that batting average is unacceptable, though Pakistan being Pakistan, we could live with it. The catching I don't even go into, he's cost us at least 15 games single handedly and then many others he's played a large role in. Apparently Sami's average would be in the 30s not 50s had Kamran done his job properly.

Brendan McCullum's average is 30
Sangakkara is a batting god, so he averages 38.
Haddin is averaging 31
Kieswetter averages 29

The less said about the wicketkeepers from Zimbabwe, Bangladesh and the WI, the better, as I won't bother to look at their averages cause I'm pretty sure they all average less than 27 and can't be bothered to look.

A "good" keeper will average roughly 30 in ODI's. Again, an average of 27, while definitely not GREAT, isn't bad for a keeper.

It's his shoddy keeping that is really hurting his team
Original post by dgeorge
Brendan McCullum's average is 30
Sangakkara is a batting god, so he averages 38.
Haddin is averaging 31
Kieswetter averages 29

The less said about the wicketkeepers from Zimbabwe, Bangladesh and the WI, the better, as I won't bother to look at their averages cause I'm pretty sure they all average less than 27 and can't be bothered to look.

A "good" keeper will average roughly 30 in ODI's. Again, an average of 27, while definitely not GREAT, isn't bad for a keeper.

It's his shoddy keeping that is really hurting his team

Taibu averages 29 in ODIs and 31 in Test matches so he is by no means a bad batsmen.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my Orange Monte Carlo
Original post by shyamshah
Taibu averages 29 in ODIs and 31 in Test matches so he is by no means a bad batsmen.

Forgot Taibu was back in the team, brain freeze.

My point is, 27 for a wicketkeeper is not particularly bad
Original post by dgeorge
Forgot Taibu was back in the team, brain freeze. My point is, 27 for a wicketkeeper is not particularly bad
It's not bad, but it could be better. For some teams though, the wicketkeeper has to be a good batsmen and continuously get runs like the West Indies, whose batting doesn't always click.
With GAyle in this kind of form, ODI highest score is gonna change soon as he starts playing for West Indies again.

Looking forward to it.
Original post by Captain Crash
Sure, but did Collingwood ever not have his place under question? I'm a bigger fan of Collingwood than most but save for a few too brief periods, he was always going to be the first batsman dropped.

Yeah I also quite like Collingwood. His finest moment has to be the time in the Ashes 06/07 when the Aussies were mocking him for his MBE, sledging him and all that saying he didn't deserve it, and he went and got 206. It was great. Particularly, sticking it to Shane Warne!
Come on captain STREASS! 78 not out.
Well done to Strauss for getting to his much awaited 100. Game not over yet, but England in command.

Kp moaning about Nick Knight on Twitter again. What's this about?
Original post by little_wizard123
Kp moaning about Nick Knight on Twitter again. What's this about?

No idea, but there was no need for him to do it. Nick Knight is a good commentator.
Original post by Raiden10
Yeah I also quite like Collingwood. His finest moment has to be the time in the Ashes 06/07 when the Aussies were mocking him for his MBE, sledging him and all that saying he didn't deserve it, and he went and got 206. It was great. Particularly, sticking it to Shane Warne!

Not really, still lost the test?

Oh, Strauss made a 100. Still reckon he'll be the weak link against SA.
No idea, but there was no need for him to do it. Nick Knight is a good commentator.

Nick Knight is full of crap. He doesn't have a clue.
Nick Knight is full of crap. He doesn't have a clue.

He's not that bad, still doesnt excuse kp to do that.

He's not that bad, still doesnt excuse kp to do that.

What did he do?
Original post by TheProdigy2k9
What did he do?

He tweeted yesterday something like 'How did Nick Knight get into the sky commentators box'
Looks like Chanderpaul is the only real obstacle to an England win.
Reply 1478
Chanderpaul :nothing:

Samuels batting well too...he looks so chilled when batting :lol:

Can't help but think Finn would be the type of bowler who'd take a wicket in situations like this...
Original post by Louis.
Chanderpaul :nothing:

Samuels batting well too...he looks so chilled when batting :lol:

Can't help but think Finn would be the type of bowler who'd take a wicket in situations like this...

Thankfully. Would have been horrible had these two not batted through to lunch. At least now WI won't be beaten SO BADLY

Latest