The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Sammy is evidently a good captain. Not outstanding but good. I don't think there are any outstanding captains in world cricket atm, Younis Khan, Michael Clarke, Mahela are probably closest. It's hard to argue with Strauss' and Misbah's records but I find them too defensive.
Reply 1581
Original post by razmazterz
FACT

Bell 22. Prior 16. 365/7

Yeah, we did the same in the first test. Looked set for a massive score, probably assumed the runs would just come, and then ended up on less than we should have. Bell came out really aggressively, barely looked like a test innings.

Bowlers seem to be doing the job now though, hopefully they see it through.
Windies getting run over just before the close of play :borat:
Original post by Louis.
Yeah, we did the same in the first test. Looked set for a massive score, probably assumed the runs would just come, and then ended up on less than we should have. Bell came out really aggressively, barely looked like a test innings.

Bowlers seem to be doing the job now though, hopefully they see it through.

bell gets criticism for not scoring quickly enough in these situations.

hard for him to win, really.
Reply 1584
Original post by ste_mc_efc
bell gets criticism for not scoring quickly enough in these situations.

hard for him to win, really.

He walked to the crease with almost 3 days to play, at that stage we were just looking to bat for as long as possible, he wasn't gonna get criticised for his strike rate.

I get what you mean though, batting in the middle order does put the onus on quick runs a bit more, and that has probably cost him big scores now and then. Looked set for a century in both innings in the 1st test before running out of partners. Seemed to carry that form out with him today, smashed Shillingford over his head very early on, but I just thought with a bit more application he's getting a huge score and we're only batting once.

Not that it matters now, if we don't win this game it's not Ian Bell who i'll be pissed at :lol:
I prefer seeing Bopara in team rather then Bell. Yes Bell has had in the past success. But when a player is out of form you need to try something different. Or else your middle order looks weak.
Original post by dgeorge
Statistics don't count for everything. You throwing out his "average" and "career hundreds" doesn't mean a thing. You are picked on form - Sarwan has not been producing well for a couple of year, thus was due for a drop. You are selected on current form, not what your "average" is

I am showing you how he is experienced and this will make a huge difference to the Windies team. Did you read the article? Obvouisly the player will be out of form if the team managment treats him like that. He is a world class player! Even Michael Holding says you need Sarwan and Gayle!
I am hoping to see Narine and Gayle in the third test. I AM BEING OVEROPTIMISTIC BUT THATS HOW I AM:L
Reply 1587
Dropping Bell would be insane, one of the best batsmen in the world and looks to have his touch back after that dreadful winter.

We have 5 very established batsmen but can't seem to fill that 6th spot properly. No chance we'll turn one problem spot into two.
Sachin Tendulkar is the God of cricket. He is byfar the best cricketeer this world has seen.
One would hope that the run chase should be reasonably straightforward for England now...
Original post by TheProdigy2k9
Not really, still lost the test?

Oh, Strauss made a 100. Still reckon he'll be the weak link against SA.

Oh yes but not because of Collingwood.
India-Pakistan bilateral ties may restart soon! Cant wait to watch an India-Pakistan series:smile: Ahh couldnt be better news for any cricket fan!
Original post by Louis.
Dropping Bell would be insane, one of the best batsmen in the world and looks to have his touch back after that dreadful winter.

We have 5 very established batsmen but can't seem to fill that 6th spot properly. No chance we'll turn one problem spot into two.

Opinions on Bairstow? He looks terrible. I'd go for dropping him and playing Finn but I know that's something England don't like to do. Still would be an attacking move, could be handy or then again could backfire against SA.
Original post by razmazterz
India-Pakistan bilateral ties may restart soon! Cant wait to watch an India-Pakistan series:smile: Ahh couldnt be better news for any cricket fan!

Really?!? That's great! :biggrin:
Reply 1594
Original post by TheProdigy2k9
Opinions on Bairstow? He looks terrible. I'd go for dropping him and playing Finn but I know that's something England don't like to do. Still would be an attacking move, could be handy or then again could backfire against SA.

Yeah obviously been very dodgy so far. Seem to remember he looked nearly adequate hitting his 15-20 in his first innings before getting out, then came out with about 3 runs to win and barely survived that, before another failure.

He has a strange style of batting, think it's the knee bend thing, and unorthodoxy tends to look silly when it's not working. That won't help what people think of him. I'd let him play the third test but if it's anything like the first two i'd be looking back at Bopara or giving someone like Taylor a chance against SA. Can't say I watch enough county cricket to make an adequate judgement. Bairstow should still be kept around the ODI squads though, obviously got loads of potential and he's a potential Prior replacement which makes him very valuable, but his weakness against the short ball is just so obvious and you can't get away with it at this level. If Roach is exposing it like this imagine what Morkel and Steyn will do.

I'm happy sticking to the formula we've got at the moment tbh, 4 bowlers is enough when Swann is as good as he is. A while ago when Cook/Trott/Bell were in ridiculous form I might have supported it but we're good as we are now I think. We haven't made a total that has completely killed a game off and put us out of sight in this series, and while I like the West Indies (Rampaul's great to watch) the SA attack is just on another level.
Original post by usycool1
Really?!? That's great! :biggrin:

Just imagine seeing a test series.

Just imagine seeing Ajmel vs Tendulker/Kohli--ahh I cant wait!

Or Dhoni vs Gul(in ODI/T20). Umar Gul with his accurate yorkers and Dhoni with his helicopter shot hahah I can just picture it!

High intensity matches!
http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/current/story/566565.html

I don't really know how the media can say that England are like the Aussies who dominated for a long time after beating WI at home. We will see how they go against SA in the summer but even if they win that series, it's another series at home, they are poor away from home and until they improve that they can not be considered a great!
Original post by shyamshah
http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/current/story/566565.html

I don't really know how the media can say that England are like the Aussies who dominated for a long time after beating WI at home. We will see how they go against SA in the summer but even if they win that series, it's another series at home, they are poor away from home and until they improve that they can not be considered a great!

Mark Nicholas =/= the media.

In any case, even at their height, Australia struggled on the subcontinent. It took four attempts to win a series in India and two attempts to win in Sri Lanka, despite crucifying everyone everywhere else.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Captain Crash
Mark Nicholas =/= the media. In any case, even at their height, Australia struggled on the subcontinent. It took four attempts to win a series in India and two attempts to win in Sri Lanka, despite crucifying everyone everywhere else.
That is fair enough but even then, who have you beaten at home and away? A WI team which are rebuilding, a poor Indian side last year, a Bangladesh side, plus an Australia team who was not very good. Until you beat a very good team you can't really be considered a great team. We will see how you do against SA, but atm it's not true.
Original post by shyamshah
That is fair enough but even then, who have you beaten at home and away? A WI team which are rebuilding, a poor Indian side last year, a Bangladesh side, plus an Australia team who was not very good. Until you beat a very good team you can't really be considered a great team. We will see how you do against SA, but atm it's not true.

Yeah I do agree with you. There is no number 1 outstanding test team-that has dominated like Australia did. (or even in the Windies in the 70s-80s
Englang-South Africa will give us a good indication how good are the number 1 side.
And the series in India will be their biggest challenge but I am guessing they wont struggle as much, seeing how weak our Indian side have become:/

Latest