The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheProdigy2k9
What? By the looks of what? Was gonna do a long reply, but I think I can just laugh this off to be honest, haha.

Yeah, just smile and wave haha.
Original post by TheProdigy2k9
What? By the looks of what? Was gonna do a long reply, but I think I can just laugh this off to be honest, haha.

Hmmm... you can laugh, but wait until there is actually a series between India and Pakistan and then we'll see who wins. We can't actually judge on teams playing other teams..
Original post by Frankster
Hmmm... you can laugh, but wait until there is actually a series between India and Pakistan and then we'll see who wins. We can't actually judge on teams playing other teams..

Until there is a series, the only way you can decide is on who did better against the same opposition? And I'm sure most Indians wouldn't like to go there would they?

Anyway, you've gone totally onto a different thing, we're talking about the future, not present.
Original post by shyamshah
Yeah, that is a good point, he had a poor IPL season though didn't he? Yeah, but when he gets settled in, he is as good as anyone at hitting sixes etc. Did you watch him in Australia when he scored a century chasing 320 against Sri Lanka in 40 overs and he smashed Malinga for 6 fours in an over? He got himself in and then launched.

Omg, in Hobart :drool: That was some innings :adore:
He was just amazing. But he's not always like that. Then again, he does convert his starts into big scores often, hence his conversion rate of 50s to 100s.

I actually think he plays more freely in ODIs than he does T20. In T20 he feels the need to go hard at the ball at times, where as in ODIs sometimes he just goes mad, and scores quite quickly. Either way, he's good :biggrin:
Original post by Captain Crash

ii) England have, in Panesar and Swann, two better test spinners than anything India can muster.

You don't need world class spinners to topple the English batting order.. when was the last time any English batsman dominated a spinner?
You don't need world class spinners to topple the English batting order.. when was the last time any English batsman dominated a spinner?

Erm... this WI series? Or India last summer come to that?
Erm... this WI series? Or India last summer come to that?

No I meant where the ball is actually turning, not just English pitches where the ball barely turns!
Reply 1787
Damnn, 5 ducks in a row for Mohammed Hafeez. Pakistan's batting is a cause for concern :redface:
The track record in Columbo is good, let's hope they carry on with this good streak :biggrin:
Original post by S_mush
Damnn, 5 ducks in a row for Mohammed Hafeez. Pakistan's batting is a cause for concern :redface:
The track record in Columbo is good, let's hope they carry on with this good streak :biggrin:

MUSH :biggrin: How've you been hun?
Original post by ♥ ♥
Omg, in Hobart :drool: That was some innings :adore:
He was just amazing. But he's not always like that. Then again, he does convert his starts into big scores often, hence his conversion rate of 50s to 100s.

I actually think he plays more freely in ODIs than he does T20. In T20 he feels the need to go hard at the ball at times, where as in ODIs sometimes he just goes mad, and scores quite quickly. Either way, he's good :biggrin:

Yeah, he performs a lot better in ODIs than T20. He is very good at finishing of a match, which is something that someone like Rohit Sharma hasn't done a lot, Sharma gets a lot of starts but then gets out towards the end and doesn't finish the match off. His record in chases is remarkable also. I want him to play at 3 in test matches because of the fact that he converts starts into big scores and that is what you need from your top order batsmen and technically I think he is quite sound.
No I meant where the ball is actually turning, not just English pitches where the ball barely turns!

Makes sense how Graeme Swann gets loads of wickets then.

Frankster, your posts are useless :lol:

The ball spins in England, just not on the first day - as Straight Up G said, the English spinners turn the ball loads; Swann turns the ball more than any international off spinner atm. Even on turning pitches at the Oval and Cardiff, England have played spin admirably. The difficulty comes when playing a geninuely good spinner (e.g. Ajmal) on a spinning track. The current India bunch have neither the mystery of Ajmal nor the sheer revs of Swann to be called genuinely good. England will have a much easier time batting in India than they did in Pakistan, possibly even Sri Lanka.
England will have a much easier time batting in India than they did in Pakistan, possibly even Sri Lanka.

Hell, I think you can maybe even scrape out a series win, although a draw is a lot more likely.

The battle which decides it is going to be your bowlers vs India's batsmen, the Indian batsmen are either old and weary, or young and inexperienced, and they haven't faced a quality spinner in a long time. If Swann can acclimatise to the conditions and the fast bowlers learn how to manipulate the SG balls, the Indians could be in deep ****.

Anyways, standard Pakistani batting collapse today, 166/2 to 199 all out. Even better, 176-4 to 176-8.
England will have a much easier time batting in India than they did in Pakistan, possibly even Sri Lanka.

Yeah like it showed in the 5-0 drubbing last year, albeit ODIs.

Yep because performances in ODI = performances in tests don't they.
Pakistan batting collapses as usual :mad: And I heard that we dropped some sitters too...

That it in a ticket - it was just an ODI series, made up of such England 'superstars' like Meaker and Borthwick. I'll be the first to say England aren't much cop at ODIs, but the series this year is going to be a test one.
Everyone is sigining of India here, that they dont havee good spinner and one of the users said real test will be for their old/ageing batsmen or young/inexpereinced.:facepalm:

India do have quality spinners just because they have lost their form recently doesnt mean they wont be ready by the test series against England. Harbhajan,Ashwin(maybe the only who might not have lost form),Ojha.Everyone's forgetting Harbhajan here, he has 400 odd test wickets for a reason. Yes in the past 2/3 years he has not been up to the mark but that doesnt say **** about him not perfroming against England in October/November.

Please look at our stats at home in test matches. People saying England can scrap a win in India:rofl: Our batting lineup looks fragile away the subcontinent but in the subcontinent its one of the best! Sehwag,Gambhir,Kohli,SRT,VVS,MSD.

The only one you might consider old/ageing would be VVS, even saying that I think if he scores in a couple of innings, he might get his confidence boosted! Or he might be even calling his retirment by then.
Please dont even think Kohli that is inexpereinced I think by now we can call him experinced and mature.

I reckon the best result England might get of the series is a draw!
Original post by DeadBullyMafiosi
Everyone is sigining of India here, that they dont havee good spinner and one of the users said real test will be for their old/ageing batsmen or young/inexpereinced.:facepalm:

India do have quality spinners just because they have lost their form recently doesnt mean they wont be ready by the test series against England. Harbhajan,Ashwin(maybe the only who might not have lost form),Ojha.Everyone's forgetting Harbhajan here, he has 400 odd test wickets for a reason. Yes in the past 2/3 years he has not been up to the mark but that doesnt say **** about him not perfroming against England in October/November.

Please look at our stats at home in test matches. People saying England can scrap a win in India:rofl: Our batting lineup looks fragile away the subcontinent but in the subcontinent its one of the best! Sehwag,Gambhir,Kohli,SRT,VVS,MSD.

The only one you might consider old/ageing would be VVS, even saying that I think if he scores in a couple of innings, he might get his confidence boosted! Or he might be even calling his retirment by then.
Please dont even think Kohli that is inexpereinced I think by now we can call him experinced and mature.

I reckon the best result England might get of the series is a draw!

Agreed ^
To everyone above, how about we all just wait till November and have a good chat about India vs England, when something actually happens. Whether it be that India are inexperienced, or England don't have the best track record in the subcontinent, it'll all be seen when the matches happen.

Until then, why not just refrain from the pointless discussion of who's better or who's going to win?

Latest