The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by robotpenguin
Apologies, I have just watched some videos and seen Saqlain bowling. He is significantly better than Harbhajan Singh. I still uphold that Muralitharan is better than him though. This is due to the simple fact that Saqlain was dropped from the Pakistan team due to the overbowling the Doosra. He began to bowl it 3-4 times an over. He almost stock bowling his stock ball and seemed to be unable to bowl a big offbreak towards the end of his career. He was also dropped, and unable to claim his place from Danish Kaneria.Murali maintained consistency throughout his career, allowing him to excel, and in my opinion become the best spin bowler of all time.

Well in tests Murali is better, no question from me. If you're simply talking about spinners, Warne > Murali for me, my opinion regardless of stats or whatever. I think.

But in ODIs, Saqlain can genuinely make a case for being the greatest ODI spinner, yes he overused the doosra at the end, but have a look at what he accomplished before that?

Kaneria was hardly ever chosen for ODIs, if I can remember Danish didn't even play 20 ODIs.

But put it this way, Saqlain:

Average: 21
SR: 30.4
Econ: 4.29
Original post by TheProdigy2k9
Well in tests Murali is better, no question from me. If you're simply talking about spinners, Warne > Murali for me, my opinion regardless of stats or whatever. I think.

But in ODIs, Saqlain can genuinely make a case for being the greatest ODI spinner, yes he overused the doosra at the end, but have a look at what he accomplished before that?

Kaneria was hardly ever chosen for ODIs, if I can remember Danish didn't even play 20 ODIs.

But put it this way, Saqlain:

Average: 21
SR: 30.4
Econ: 4.29

Apologies, Saqlain was replaced by Kaneria in Tests, not ODIs. In statistics, I agree Saqlain was a very good ODI bowler. But in my view, he was not as good as Murali because of his failure to play for a long period of time. Also, he himself stated Murali was better than him.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/srilanka/content/story/466658.html
Reply 1842
What do people think on scrapping the ODI's?
Original post by Kaz310

It doesn't need scrapping, we just need better administrators to run the game.

We should introduce a Test league table in which 10 teams play and there are 18 games each a year - both home and away for each team (or alternatively 3 games per pairing but the 3rd being played in a neutral venue)

Depending on your results, you place in the league table and whoever is ranked 1 each year can say that they are the best Test team in the world.

ODI's should be restricted to 3 games per series, with a world cup styled knock out tournament every year (no group or small groups to reduce the sheer number and length of games - think 16 teams ala the Euros).

T20 should be restricted in season so that whether it be the IPL or other T20 domestic tournaments happen - there is less overlap.

Requires more thought but essentially each form should have a competition which mirror the game style.

The way it currently stands, there is too much favour towards India and what they want to do, the short termism of trying to make money and no accurate or ideal method of ranking teams imo.

Although no one cares, Bangladesh doing well against SA in the T20 unofficial Zim tour :biggrin:
Original post by Kaz310

i think they should scrap 10 overs off each inning.
Reply 1845
Original post by Kaz310

Something needs to be done. I would rather lose ODIs than carry on down the road we're going. At least if ODIs go, then the other two formats (most importantly Test cricket) should be relatively safe.

However, there are better options. Scrap the way the FTP is put together and replace it with something more coherent.

A Test Championship every 5 years. Within that time period, teams play either best of 4 or best of 5 series against each other home and away. Then the top 2 ranked teams have a "1st to 3 wins" series to crown the champion.

For T20 and ODI cricket, a world cup every 4 years, preceded by complete qualification, which is open to every cricket playing nation and no country is given a waiver. This is the only international limited over cricket scheduled.

So you would have 2 years of ODI qualification against a wide range of teams, then an ODI world cup, then 2 years of T20 qualification against an even wider range of teams, then a T20 world cup, then repeat.

Every single cricket game scheduled now has a purpose (other than "sell to Sky and make us more money") and a real context.

Finally, just suck it up and give the IPL a window in April and the champions league a window in October (to allow county teams to compete). Specify that for the CL, only 2 foreign born players per team and if a player plays for 2 teams, he will compete for his domestic team in the CL. IPL can make up its own rules, I couldn't give a ****.
Original post by Frankster
LOL we'll find out then won't we...? You couldn't handle the spin of Jadeja during the ODI series and don't tell me you had a second class team playing - you had cook, bopara, pietersen, bell playing who are arguably england's best spin players..

He's absolutely right mate, Indian spinners are completely rubbish now. Harbajan is completely out of form now; so much so he's considering playing county cricket. The other two have been thrashed in tests.
Superb innings from Sanga, 199* should have got the 200.
Original post by areyouthere?
Superb innings from Sanga, 199* should have got the 200.

Yeah... but really disappointed the way Pak collapsed.. just taken the sting out of the game.
The way the SL vs PAK match is going is really suprising. I thought Umar Gul might threaten early on, picking up 1 or 2 early wickets. Especially Dilshan who has been a walking wicket recently. But he failed to get an early scalp putting the onus on Ajmal and Rehman to do the hard work. Dilshan played very well, which will hopefully put him back on form. But two of my favourite batsmen of modern times, Jayawardene and Sangakkara, showed how to play Ajmal. The England cricketers made Ajmal and Rehman look like Murali and Warne by playing them SO poorly. This just shows they can be played
Original post by Zerforax
It doesn't need scrapping, we just need better administrators to run the game.

We should introduce a Test league table in which 10 teams play and there are 18 games each a year - both home and away for each team (or alternatively 3 games per pairing but the 3rd being played in a neutral venue)

Depending on your results, you place in the league table and whoever is ranked 1 each year can say that they are the best Test team in the world.

ODI's should be restricted to 3 games per series, with a world cup styled knock out tournament every year (no group or small groups to reduce the sheer number and length of games - think 16 teams ala the Euros).

You're mental. You're suggesting 18 tests a year, hell why not go for 27 tests a year, for each team. Younus Khan has been around since the bloody 1990s and he only has 70 odd tests, and you expected him to play a quarter of that in just one year? Even England, who play two teams at home and then one or two away tours each year wouldn't be able to play 18 tests a year, that is literally a quarter of the year in game time in just test matches, let alone preparation time, other forms of the game, IPL, domestic stuff, and of course, that much undervalued thing, holiday time with the family. New Zealand players get paid more for one week of IPL than being contracted to play a whole year of test matches, just FYI.

An ODI knockout tournament each year. With no underdogs like Ireland or Bangladesh. This is a tournament that no-one likes much already and you want to just stuff it in their faces and make them kick it out all together? Overkill mate.
Original post by py0alb

So you would have 2 years of ODI qualification against a wide range of teams, then an ODI world cup, then 2 years of T20 qualification against an even wider range of teams, then a T20 world cup, then repeat.

Finally, just suck it up and give the IPL a window in April and the champions league a window in October (to allow county teams to compete). Specify that for the CL, only 2 foreign born players per team and if a player plays for 2 teams, he will compete for his domestic team in the CL. IPL can make up its own rules, I couldn't give a ****.

The whole every single game has a point, pressure cooker cricket, isn't the way to go imo. It will be easily devalued by matches against lower teams and is no way to introduce youngsters into the team. Plus the idea of having just ODI for two years and just T20s for two years is just implausible.

Agree with the latter, though the foreign born players thing won't be imposed in a million years.
And Pakistan's batting collapses again :sigh:

And in other news, Danish Kaneria has been banned for life.
Original post by Straight up G
You're mental. You're suggesting 18 tests a year, hell why not go for 27 tests a year, for each team. Younus Khan has been around since the bloody 1990s and he only has 70 odd tests, and you expected him to play a quarter of that in just one year? Even England, who play two teams at home and then one or two away tours each year wouldn't be able to play 18 tests a year, that is literally a quarter of the year in game time in just test matches, let alone preparation time, other forms of the game, IPL, domestic stuff, and of course, that much undervalued thing, holiday time with the family. New Zealand players get paid more for one week of IPL than being contracted to play a whole year of test matches, just FYI.

An ODI knockout tournament each year. With no underdogs like Ireland or Bangladesh. This is a tournament that no-one likes much already and you want to just stuff it in their faces and make them kick it out all together? Overkill mate.

If it's such a big deal, just make it a 2 year league and play the 18 games across the 2 years so that it is 9 Test matches a year. Wasn't that a simple solution? If Test cricket was more popular, they could attract more money to pay players.

How would there be no underdogs? I'm proposing an ODI tournament with 16 teams. Follow the Euros format - 4 groups of 4 teams, everyone gets a minimum of 3 games and then a QF, SF and final. Would be restricted to around 3 week. 24 group games, 4 QF, 2 SF and a final - that's 31 games.

ODIs are not liked now because they are overplayed. You get countries like India/England, who will tour each other within a season and then play 7 ODI series against each other, twice in short succession. It becomes boring.

You have 1 T20 window, 1 window for an ODI WC and then 9 Test matches to be played in the year. After that, every country can organise their own tours, so long as there are no clashes.
If it's such a big deal, just make it a 2 year league and play the 18 games across the 2 years so that it is 9 Test matches a year. Wasn't that a simple solution? If Test cricket was more popular, they could attract more money to pay players.

How would there be no underdogs? I'm proposing an ODI tournament with 16 teams. Follow the Euros format - 4 groups of 4 teams, everyone gets a minimum of 3 games and then a QF, SF and final. Would be restricted to around 3 week. 24 group games, 4 QF, 2 SF and a final - that's 31 games.

ODIs are not liked now because they are overplayed. You get countries like India/England, who will tour each other within a season and then play 7 ODI series against each other, twice in short succession. It becomes boring.

You have 1 T20 window, 1 window for an ODI WC and then 9 Test matches to be played in the year. After that, every country can organise their own tours, so long as there are no clashes.

This just smacks of naivety to be honest, so I'll let it go.

The teams, the players, the boards, the fans, the media all would never accept it, for various reasons, which you can work out yourself.
Original post by Straight up G
This just smacks of naivety to be honest, so I'll let it go.

The teams, the players, the boards, the fans, the media all would never accept it, for various reasons, which you can work out yourself.

Various reasons being money? The fact remains something is being done wrong because cricket does not have significant popularity around the world. Other than in the sub-continent (and only moreso in recent years), I can't think of any other country which has cricket as their nation's sport.

Even look at China - a country which is heavily getting involved in all aspects around the world, a sport such as snooker has gained more popularity than cricket.
Other than in the sub-continent (and only moreso in recent years), I can't think of any other country which has cricket as their nation's sport.

Australia? Cricket is their national sport. The others (rugby league, Aussie rules etc) are all largely regional in popularity.
Original post by Captain Crash
Australia? Cricket is their national sport. The others (rugby league, Aussie rules etc) are all largely regional in popularity.

Knew I was forgetting a country. Either way, my point still stands that cricket is not that popular.
Reply 1858
Knew I was forgetting a country. Either way, my point still stands that cricket is not that popular.

Isn't it supposedly the second most popular sport in the world?

Either way, other than football, no sport is dominant everywhere in the world. Cricket is as popular as any of the other 5/6 big team sports that are played around the world.
Original post by py0alb
Isn't it supposedly the second most popular sport in the world?

Either way, other than football, no sport is dominant everywhere in the world. Cricket is as popular as any of the other 5/6 big team sports that are played around the world.

Probably only when you take the populations of India, Pakistan and Bangladesh which is 1.2bil to 1.5bil people.

I think cricket could do more to make itself more popular but that's just my opinion.

Latest