The Student Room Group

Extra 2012 - FAQ

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rainbow_kisses
Hey i want to apply for a different course through extra, will i have to write a new personal statement? Also is it possible for universities to see results of january modules?

You can write a new PS if you want and send it straight to the university. If you're applying for a different course then this would be sensible.

They will know about your January results if you let them know but otherwise, no they won't. Universities who are still making decisions may not let this knowledge affect their decision as they don't have information on all candidates, but others might find it useful.
I don't get it.. is Are unis in 'UCAS' Extra 'slightly' more 'relaxed' I know that they will still expect you to get the required grades, but are they more likely to give you an offer than they would have been in the past?
Original post by Tsunami2011
I don't get it.. is Are unis in 'UCAS' Extra 'slightly' more 'relaxed' I know that they will still expect you to get the required grades, but are they more likely to give you an offer than they would have been in the past?

No.

They will be looking to get students who they would have accepted the first time around and they won't be lowering their standards during the Extra process. Some universities say that they'll accept Extra applicants then don't actually accept anyone who applies to them. It doesn't mean that they're desperate for people and have loads of spaces, it more means that the university wants to see what else they can pick up and weigh these people up against other applicants they've still got on hold. For example, a university might stay in Extra because they know its been a tough year so there are a lot of students with AAB/AAA grades who have been rejected from everywhere. These are strong candidates and they might prefer to take these candidates over some of the BBB/BBC students who applied to them initially, so they will hold off making offers to these students whilst they see who is available in Extra as they might prefer these people to the ones they've already got. The same thing happens in clearing, with universities failing to make decisions on people who have missed their grades whilst they see what else is in clearing as they might be able to pick up someone who narrowly missed two AAA offers at Oxford and UCL which might be preferable to someone who missed an AAB offer with ABB.

Essentially, through keeping their options open and staying in Extra it means universities can keep their applications open in case someone really amazing comes along. If they close their applications then they might miss out on a really good person and only have average people.

If they wouldn't have given you an offer initially, it is unlikely that you will get one as an Extra applicant.
Reply 23
I applied for a course through Extra this morning. Now, however, I want to apply for another one. Must I wait a few weeks to receive an offer/a rejection or is there any way to withdraw from the course right now?
Reply 24
Original post by benom2
I applied for a course through Extra this morning. Now, however, I want to apply for another one. Must I wait a few weeks to receive an offer/a rejection or is there any way to withdraw from the course right now?
No, you'll have to wait 21 days. You could try ringing UCAS to see if they'll let you change it sooner, but if their website is to be believed they won't.
Reply 25
I'm just wondering, is Extra competitive?
Reply 26
Original post by justn1c2
I'm just wondering, is Extra competitive?
If you mean, unis will wait until they've got a 'gathered field' to consider people applying through Extra, no. If you mean, do I have to be as good as or better than the people who applied before 15 January and got offers, yes.
Reply 27
Hi all, I'm really confused these days and sorry if this is not the right place to ask.

I submitted my UCAS application in the middle of December. However, I'm still waiting to hear from 2 of the universities (one of them won't give me the decision earlier than Easter for sure) and I was wondering whether it's possible to withdraw my application from it and send it to a new university. Is that possible via Extra or anything else? I found so much better course in the new university, which I have, somehow, not seen while preparing my application and I'm extremely disappointed. :frown:
Original post by mons7re
Hi all, I'm really confused these days and sorry if this is not the right place to ask.

I submitted my UCAS application in the middle of December. However, I'm still waiting to hear from 2 of the universities (one of them won't give me the decision earlier than Easter for sure) and I was wondering whether it's possible to withdraw my application from it and send it to a new university. Is that possible via Extra or anything else? I found so much better course in the new university, which I have, somehow, not seen while preparing my application and I'm extremely disappointed. :frown:

You would have to cancel/withdraw from the two UCAS choices you haven't heard from, and decline the offers from the other three, and go through Extra, and then you'd only be allowed to submit one application for one course at one university - and if you choose to accept it, that will be your firm (you don't get an insurance choice if you go through Extra.
Reply 29
Original post by mons7re

Email or phone the new uni to see if they'd consider you. You may be able to get an unofficial offer before actually applying, so you won't have to risk cancelling what you have and ending up with nothing. Even if they don't explicitly say yes they're very likely to tell you that you have no chance if that's what they were thinking.
Reply 30
Many thanks to both of you. :smile:
Reply 31
What courses are generally on extra, and is it a first come first serve thing or does the uni's base it on grades..
Reply 32
Original post by MsKazza
What courses are generally on extra, and is it a first come first serve thing or does the uni's base it on grades..
Applications received after 15 January, whether through Extra or not, are considered as they are received, so in that sense it is 'first come first served'. If you don't meet the standard entry requirements you are unlikely to be successful, whenever you apply.
I put down a choice through Extra almost 3 weeks ago now, what happens after its been 21 days? Do you have the choice to then cancel it, add another choice or is it cancelled automatically or what?

Thanks
Reply 34
Original post by hypercaine.
I put down a choice through Extra almost 3 weeks ago now, what happens after its been 21 days? Do you have the choice to then cancel it, add another choice or is it cancelled automatically or what?

Thanks

You can cancel if you wish. If you cancel you then can choose another choice if you wish. But you're only allowed one at a time, so you can't keep the original and choose another.
Original post by Juno
You can cancel if you wish. If you cancel you then can choose another choice if you wish. But you're only allowed one at a time, so you can't keep the original and choose another.

Ah OK then thanks a lot, was hoping to be able to add another choice then whilst the original one decides. Was also hoping they would reply within 21 days anyway, I was expecting a reply within a few days tbh! :rolleyes:
Reply 36
Original post by hypercaine.
Ah OK then thanks a lot, was hoping to be able to add another choice then whilst the original one decides. Was also hoping they would reply within 21 days anyway, I was expecting a reply within a few days tbh! :rolleyes:

Extra has been slowly creeping earlier - it used to start around Easter. When it did, unis used to only really have Extra applications to focus on so they could reply sooner. Now, it's barely after the deadline so they have too many other things to do.
Reply 37
I'm thinking about rejecting my conditional offer from a Uni to try and get a course which I'll feel more comfortable doing, but is this a risky choice? I'm worried that if I reject the conditional offer and I won't get an offer from any Unis through extra.
Original post by Adds102
I'm thinking about rejecting my conditional offer from a Uni to try and get a course which I'll feel more comfortable doing, but is this a risky choice? I'm worried that if I reject the conditional offer and I won't get an offer from any Unis through extra.

Ask the universities you are considering, you can view all of the Extra courses on UCAS via course search. Email or ring them asking if theyd consider you or not, some will say its unlikely they can make you an offer, some will say theyd be happy to consider you and then some will say they cant say until you apply through Extra. So definitely email or get in contact with said university's but do not reject any of your offers until youre 100% sure!
Reply 39
Yeah that's a good idea, I'll do that tomorrow. Hopefully I'll get a positive response!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending