The Student Room Group

Applying to English via clearing

Hi everyone. I finished my A levels in June and I'm currently waiting for my results. I studied Chemistry, Biology and Mathematics at A level and I only hold one offer from the University of Bristol for biomedical sciences.

Studying my A levels for 2 years made me realise that I didn't like Science and Maths as much as I thought I did. I also did work experience at a lab for about a month and concluded that I'm really not suited to the degrees in such disciplines. I also don't think I'll fulfill the grade requirements of my offer.

So after I finished my A levels, I reconsidered my options and I found that I have in interest in English. I want to apply to an English degree with a foundation year.

On results day, when I call the universities, aside from my grades, would they also ask why I chose English (considering the fact that I didn't study A levels in English/essay based subjects)? Would I need to send a separate personal statement?
Not sure about the former, depends on the uni for the latter.
Reply 2
Original post by sleep_supremacy
Not sure about the former, depends on the uni for the latter.

What do you mean?
If you go to a university that publishes their grade requirements for Clearing, then they probably will accept you without checking your UCAS application details if you meet their requirements.

-Kao (Lancaster Maths & Stats Student Ambassador)
Reply 4
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
If you go to a university that publishes their grade requirements for Clearing, then they probably will accept you without checking your UCAS application details if you meet their requirements.

-Kao (Lancaster Maths & Stats Student Ambassador)

Thank you
Original post by Shelly Wang
What do you mean?

Would they ask you why you chose English? I'm not sure. Would you need to submit an external PS? Depends on the uni. I'd recommend you read through the Clearing FAQ on here. Also check the requirements for the unis you're interested in and see if you meet them.
Reply 6
Original post by sleep_supremacy
Would they ask you why you chose English? I'm not sure. Would you need to submit an external PS? Depends on the uni. I'd recommend you read through the Clearing FAQ on here. Also check the requirements for the unis you're interested in and see if you meet them.

Ok, thank you
Hi Shelly!

It can vary from university to university, but if you meet the grade requirements and any additional requirements the university asks for, then they will usually make you an offer without asking for extra information.

I hope this helps!

-Ella
Graduate Advocate
Reply 8
Hi everyone, thanks for all your help. I got a confirmed place at the university of Bristol to study biomedical sciences. I'll settle for this degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending