The Student Room Group

Do you love your parents?

Scroll to see replies

I love both my parents immensely :-)

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my E15i
I love my mother, granddad and little sister but my dad, brother, other sister and all other relatives I don't think I do. I do not get on well with my brother, he is 21 and acts like a child and a complete **** to everyone in the house. My dad I do see but rarely and when I go to visit he normally goes on the computer and says nothing to me the whole time I'm there. My other relatives I barely see and do not get on well either :/
I do love both my nans too but they sadly passed away :frown:

:awesome:

But to address the OP directly, it sounds like you might be a psychopath. Now this is not inherently a problem, it just means you physically can't empathise or care about anyone.
That, or you don't understand the scope of the issue and what it would be like to have no parents. Statistically speaking, the latter is probably the right one, especially when looking at your age on your profile.
(edited 11 years ago)
parents dont need to be loved,

as long as they are looked after when they are old, thats all that matters
No. I have a lot of respect for my stepfather, but for my mother she can forget it.
Reply 125
More than anybody else. Apart from my sister.
Reply 126
I love both my parents but I love my mum like you wouldn't believe. She has shaped me into a decent young man and I am eternally grateful to her for that.
Original post by Coeusful
I was just wondering if anyone else is like this.

I don't love my mum, she was when it comes down to it, a selfish bitch. She left me and my father only to come back when I was older and then sue to custody of me, she ****ed up my beautiful life in Paris. I most certainly hate my half brother and don't get me started on my step-dad.

With my father, I think there is a mutual understanding but as feelings are for pussies (his words), we don't talk about that stuff.
Original post by Mr Dangermouse
I would say I love my parents but I'm not particularly close with them. For example, I can't wait to move into halls. It's not that I don't love them, I just want the freedom.

I do love my parents and would say I'm quite close to them, but at times I can't stand living with them. Especially for long periods of time any more. I love my family best when I'm away from them and communicate via Skype/phone.
Original post by TheQuietOne
I don't really feel much for my parents.

A few years ago I spent months working up the courage to tell them that I had social anxiety and depression and I needed help badly. When I finally told them, my Dad got so angry I ran upstairs and locked myself in the bathroom. He broke the door to get in, dragged me out, pushed me down the stairs and kicked me as I lay on the floor, shouting that he wished I was never born, he'd rather have my best friend as a daughter, he couldn't believe he had a kid so selfish, attention seeking and messed up as I was. My Mum just stood, watched and agreed with him.

After that any love I felt just vanished and the trust I had for them has gone. I want to love them, they both work so hard to keep us all fed and clothed and housed, but I can't find any feeling for them at all. I can't wait to leave home.

I am so sorry they reacted like that. My parents were much the same when I was diagnosed with a personality disorder (which is a stupid name for it - why should I be the broken one? haha) and kicked me out.

Do you have someone else in your family supporting you? It's a big thing to be dealing with by yourself, and especially if you know your parents are so strongly objecting to accepting you as you are. :s-smilie:
Reply 130
Original post by tehFrance
I don't love my mum, she was when it comes down to it, a selfish bitch. She left me and my father only to come back when I was older and then sue to custody of me, she ****ed up my beautiful life in Paris. I most certainly hate my half brother and don't get me started on my step-dad.

With my father, I think there is a mutual understanding but as feelings are for pussies (his words), we don't talk about that stuff.

Is that why you exaggerate your amount of sexual partners?
By default - yes

By Intelligence & personality - hell no... she's a ****ing . . .

By sacrifices & support - yes.

I hate my dad 100%.
Mum, yes. Dad, no. Stepdad, yes. :smile:
Grandma first, I'd actually rather die before her, I can't imagine how I'd feel if I ever find out she passed away :/

Then mother, as much as we argue, I still love her to bits, but I don't show it, neither does she. But I'm sure both of us know how strong our bond is.

Dad, just a ****, left mum without even telling her, and married another woman.

Step mom, just a bitch.

Siblings: love them all, but brother can get annoying as he's 16 and is extremely childish.

Other relatives: cba going any further, but I only feel very close to 4 aunts, like them more than dad.
I love my parent's and I am very close to them.

I will say this is relevant in a round-about way at the minute. My parent's went away on holiday for a week this morning, and as tragic as this sounds, I'm missing them quite a bit already.

My parent's have raised me with love, been there when I needed them and granted me my independence at an appropriate rate. They have provided so much for me, but most of all they are fantastic people that I am privileged to call my parent's.
Reply 135
I'm an only child and my relationship with my parents often swings strongly one way or the other. For the most part we tend to avoid each other except at mealtimes and to talk about travel arrangements for the next day. I often despair at their attitudes towards most things, and we argue on a regular basis. My mum claims that I am the main reason behind her depression and just a small thing I 'do wrong' ie putting my towel back in the wrong place can set off a torrent of 'you're no good for anything, you'll never get anywhere, i bet you can't wait to get out of this house' - all far more intense than the situation needed. My house has a very negative atmosphere and I automatically get put in a bad mood when I come home from college.
But then sometimes they can both be amazingly generous and insightful. My mum in particular helps me whenever I have personal problems and is ready to sacrifice her time to help and advise me on important issues. My dad too can be very tolerant and generous. We are all decent people and I just don't understand how our little 'family' can be so tense and painful to be a part of most of the time. I've had counselling about it which has been nothing but a waste of money, their only advice being 'well I suppose you'll just have to wait it out then'. It's sad to see my friends who have such lively, close families compared to mine, but I suppose no-one can choose.
I think I do love them, and I'd be distraught if either of them died, but I wish they could lighten up most of the time and actually enjoy being a family.
I love my mum, I may not always like her but I love her nonetheless :yep: I practically never see my dad though, so I have no emotions towards him at all :tongue:
Original post by redferry
I love my parents more than anyone else in the world, they made me who I am today, I would be nothing without them and I will be eternally grateful to them.
I can talk to them about anything ,they are the soundest parents ever, I love getting drunk with them, last year me and mum went on holiday together and it was so much fun.

They are the best people I have ever come across, especially my dad, he is the best dad in the world.

Whatever I do in life, I just want to make them proud, because I am so proud and grateful to have parents like them.

This is basically what every child/teen living in the eastern world feels about their parents. I can't say the same for the western society though - maybe cultural difference. ? I find it sort of sad... why would you not?
None of my business anyways...
Reply 138
I know how you feel, and share your feelings. But in general people do love their parents, and we are the anomalies. I can trace mine back to the fact that one parent of mine was abusive and whilst the other is a really good parent to me (went to live with them when I was 15) my childhood sort of removed any attachment I have to family - it's the same with my brother, grandparents etc. Up until 18 months ago I didn't feel any emotion at all, but now I have a full emotional range and there is still no love for my parents. I do have respect, and feel a certain debt to my father for looking after me, but there is no love. I just wonder if you can trace your feelings back to a similar experience in any way?
I love both my parents very much. We don't have perfect relationships- I wish I saw my dad more/that he hadn't left, and I wish my mum didn't drink so much and that she could see that I really do care about her but equally, I'm sure there are many things about me that they wish they could change. We're very different, but I can't imagine ever not loving them and I'm extremely grateful for everything they have done for me, particularly my mum.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending