Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Vegetarians who eat fish are confused.

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm pescetarian, was previously a vegetarian but had to give it up due to getting horrendous migraines. When I started eating fish again I haven't had a single migraine, whereas previously I used to get them at least twice a week. I think it's something to do with omega oils. Apart from the migraines, I was quite happy being a vegetarian (was one for four years) and definitely felt much healthier generally.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hmon93)
    It's okay to eat fish because they don't have any feelings.
    It's ok to eat fish, but it's annoying when people who eat it claim to be vegetarian
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not as bad as people who say they're 'half-vegetarian' when they don't eat red meat, yet eat poultry and fish :confused:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hmon93)
    It's okay to eat fish because they don't have any feelings.
    LOL
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blueray)
    Vegetarians who eat fish are confused or "Pescetarian" in shorter words.

Vegetarians don't eat animals for the fact that they have a heart and are living and can't be regrown like plants.

What I don't understand is how you can be so hypocritical and not eat animals because you find it "cruel etc" yet happily eat a fish?

Let me make this simple for you.
    Don't look if you're screamish (mods don't delete as I have given a warning)
    Spoiler:
    Show

They both breath and move freely. Yet you don't eat one but do for the other.

If that's not not being confused then I don't know what is.
    Don't you drink milk and eat eggs?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callum9999)
    Where does it say that they are "biochemically" just as alive as fish? Unless you are just using it as a fancy-sounding meaningless word?

I'm well aware plants are complex - doesn't make them automatically the same as fish.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Si...duction_v1.png

Because organisms are made of cells which are made of biological chemicals. Tell me why this:

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=pla...:0&tx=47&ty=99

is any less alive than this:

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=ani...1t:429,r:4,s:0
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by velociraptor)
    many cheeses contain animal rennet (complex of enzymes from mammal stomachs) and are therefore not vegetarian. However, there is a huuuuge selection of veggie friendly cheeses.
    I doubt the guy's sandwich had Grana Padano in it.

The vast majority of 'everyday' cheeses are veggie.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drapetomanic)
    I disagree, if your actions are indirectly or directly affecting the lives of other beings then some justification is needed. I don't eat pigs or children because I don't think the suffering involved is necessary. I eat plants because their capacity to suffer is more or less non existent.

If you moralise people's other actions then why not their dietary choices?
    Do you think the suffering inflicted on animals when testing drugs is necessary? Would you still use animal tested drugs? What if they would alleviate your own suffering?

Many vegetarians and vegans would justify this by saying it is necessary because they feel that they need it in their lives, regardless of how other people may feel about the matter, and find any moralising on the part of others unwelcome and intrusive. Just as I feel that the fact that meat in my diet is necessary, and being told that I'm somehow a cruel and unethical person for doing so unwelcome and intrusive.

Your justification for eating plants because their suffering is more or less nonexistent is a fallacious argument many vegans and vegetarians often fall into, since it is clearly and undeniably possible to kill an animal instantaneously without it being aware of its fate, and their suffering "more or less nonexistent". Even in these cases, would you eat it? No, of course not.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    My friend is also a "vegetarian" but she eats fish too. I don't get it at all.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone explain to me, why it's alright for Tyra Banks to eat other humans? :-|

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP4PrnxcM2A
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    My mate's Dad was once talking about this, veggies eating fish but not meat. He described it so well. Justifiable homocide lol
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I fall into this category and realise the inherent hypocrisy of this choice. I stopped eating non-seafood meat about 6 months ago just because I woke up one day just thought the whole intensive process is a bit horrid, fickle I suppose. I didn't eat fish that often before and still dont now (about once a week) . At first I reasoned that my diet does a fair amount of good as it is but I do realise how strange it seems. I still haven't really decided where I stand on the subject to be honest - maybe i'll go all the way in the future. Anyway, I do call myself vegetarian but wouldn't hesitate to explain if questioned. I'm not particularly bothered what other people opinions (excluding here ofc!) but it is a bit tiring when you get chastised for it.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by destroyerofsouls)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Si...duction_v1.png

Because organisms are made of cells which are made of biological chemicals. Tell me why this:

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=pla...:0&tx=47&ty=99

is any less alive than this:

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=ani...1t:429,r:4,s:0
    I'm sure someone could devise an equally impressive-looking chart about a computer as well - does that mean computers are alive?
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    Rubbish, there are shades of gray in life not just black and white. It is debatable whether fish fill pain. Most fish are caught from the ocean, not reared in cages. Fish are certainly less intelligent than farm animals. There is nothing contradictory about taking the view that catching fish is fine, whereas slaughtering a very intelligent animal like a pig is not.

There is a sliding scale of animal rights. Different people take different account of animal welfare and draw the line in a different place. Similarly, eating meat doesn't mean you have no problem with battery-farming and it doesn't mean you are fine with people who abuse animals.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Forget fish vs land animal meat, vegetarians are confused full stop.

But yes, an animal is an animal whether it has evolved to live under or above water, vegetarians just don't seem to think things through very rationally. It's all emotion and no real justification.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pitt1988)
    My mate's Dad was once talking about this, veggies eating fish but not meat. He described it so well. Justifiable homocide lol
    Doesn't that mean killing humans?
    • 52 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusfox)
    Do you think the suffering inflicted on animals when testing drugs is necessary? Would you still use animal tested drugs? What if they would alleviate your own suffering?

Many vegetarians and vegans would justify this by saying it is necessary because they feel that they need it in their lives, regardless of how other people may feel about the matter, and find any moralising on the part of others unwelcome and intrusive. Just as I feel that the fact that meat in my diet is necessary, and being told that I'm somehow a cruel and unethical person for doing so unwelcome and intrusive.

Your justification for eating plants because their suffering is more or less nonexistent is a fallacious argument many vegans and vegetarians often fall into, since it is clearly and undeniably possible to kill an animal instantaneously without it being aware of its fate, and their suffering "more or less nonexistent". Even in these cases, would you eat it? No, of course not.
    I agree on many of your previous points, yet I do have to object on this particular one.

You can buy products that have not been tested on animals.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blueray)
    I agree on many of your previous points, yet I do have to object on this particular one.

You can buy products that have not been tested on animals.
    Most, if not all drugs are tested on animals, especially drugs that are popular today and have been in use for years.

If they weren't tested on animals for safety and efficacy, it would be very difficult for the manufacturers to get the necessary authorisations to commence human trials.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medic_armadillo7)
    Doesn't that mean killing humans?
    Yeah lol, was just funny at the time. Guess it's one of them had to have been there things.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pitt1988)
    Yeah lol, was just funny at the time. Guess it's one of them had to have been there things.
    Lol

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: November 15, 2013
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.