The Student Room Group

what do i do:(

hello people, i am in a bit of a dilemma at the moment.
basically i have been living in England for four years, and next year i get my indefinite leave to remain. i am supposed to be going to uni this year, and the unis are going to charge me as an international student. when myparents hear this, they said i should stay for another year doing a levels and change my subjects. they said i should use this as an opportunity to correct my past 'mistakes' as i applied for economics at uni. they want me to do maths, chem and bio next year and possibly pyschology. thething is i actually loathe science at this point in time. at the moment, i am doing maths, chem, and psycology. i can barely manage with chemistry. i have told them i have no interest in becoming a doctor as they wanted, and now they are trying to persuade me to do pharmacy. they think im just been lazy thats why i opted out of doing sciences. anyone goot any advice on what to do? please
Reply 1
Original post by ermidunno
hello people, i am in a bit of a dilemma at the moment.
basically i have been living in England for four years, and next year i get my indefinite leave to remain. i am supposed to be going to uni this year, and the unis are going to charge me as an international student. when myparents hear this, they said i should stay for another year doing a levels and change my subjects. they said i should use this as an opportunity to correct my past 'mistakes' as i applied for economics at uni. they want me to do maths, chem and bio next year and possibly pyschology. thething is i actually loathe science at this point in time. at the moment, i am doing maths, chem, and psycology. i can barely manage with chemistry. i have told them i have no interest in becoming a doctor as they wanted, and now they are trying to persuade me to do pharmacy. they think im just been lazy thats why i opted out of doing sciences. anyone goot any advice on what to do? please

The best thing you can do is tell this to your parents (but obviously plan it out and present it in a convincing but not forceful manner). Tell them about how you're really interested in other areas of academia, tell them about how you love ____ and how you've always dreamed of doing ____. Tell them that sciences aren't for you, even if they may have a different opinions on science, tell them that pharmacy and/or medicine isn't what you want to do.

i.e. try to appeal your case. If your parents are reasonable (very rare I know) then they should let you follow your interests to an extent. Tell them you would be happier doing ____.

Tip: get some other people to talk to your parents (definitely teachers, friends' parents, other responsible adults) and tell them how economics or [what you want to do] is very respectable and give examples of people who have gone on to do great lives. Combining a lot of reasons for you to do ____ will make your parents think twice. DON'T just say "I don't want to do medicine", because in their ears they will only hear laziness and complacency, make it a much more reasonable and mature discussion.

And at the end of the day, if they still don't sympathise, well you did your best. Other than doing something radical, it's difficult to get out of this cycle of control. But get advice off some friends and teachers IRL (people who know you and have your best interests at heart) and see what their advice is, as with their knowledge of the context they may be able to help more than people like me.
Reply 2
Thanks for your reply:smile:!But what if they dont agree, do i still go ahead with econs? Because their argument is that i will remain jobless in the future with an econs degree:frown:..Do you agree with that?
Another thing, my mum has agreed to pay for me to go to uni this year. She said i could do econs for one year, then convert to pharmacy the next.. I know that is so no not going to work out. Im just so confused:frown:
Reply 3
I wouldn't agree to your mum's proposal of doing 1 year of economics and then switching. There is just no point in that and is a waste of money and time.

If what Llewellyn suggested doesn't work, I would suggest a gap year where you try finding a job to save some money so you can afford to live on your own when you go to university next year so it doesn't matter what your parents think, as you will be an adult then and won't need their finance. Not the best solution I know but hope its of any help.
Reply 4
Original post by ermidunno
Thanks for your reply:smile:!But what if they dont agree, do i still go ahead with econs? Because their argument is that i will remain jobless in the future with an econs degree:frown:..Do you agree with that?
Another thing, my mum has agreed to pay for me to go to uni this year. She said i could do econs for one year, then convert to pharmacy the next.. I know that is so no not going to work out. Im just so confused:frown:

I'd like to restate that you really should also get advice from teachers and friends.

People with economics degrees aren't unemployed. It is one of the highest rates next to medicine, maths and various science degrees. If you get an economics degree you won't struggle to find a job afterwards (which is why I suggest you give examples of people who did econ and are now doing ____ - teachers can help you with examples of people like this. otherwise, get some statistics of economic graduate employment rates).

Like dada55 said, there is NO point in studying economics for one year without the intent to finish the course, it is just a waste of time and money. If you're parents are going to be very demanding and you have no alternative then you should do a pharmacy degree, but then look for a job related to economics (e.g. in a business) and/or get a job and then take a foundation course in economics to allow you to apply for a job related to economics much later on. But don't do that unless it really is your last option. If you're forced into doing something you don't like, then you won't do well and you will be miserable.
Reply 5
Thanks a lot guys.really do appreciate it. I just hope im making the right decision as well cuz everyone i tell im doing economics seems to say negative stuff like what kinda job would you get, but ive done a lot of research and it seems like a marketable course. Am i missing something? Plus do you thing doing a joint degree like econimics and politics will be more beneficial?
If you're finding the sciences that hard, it's possible you do badly in them so can't do them next year anyways . . . whether that just happens or you 'make' it happen is a different matter.

Quick Reply

Latest