The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Best postgrad accommodation UoM?

Hi guys,

I'm doing a PGCE starting September and although I have applied for accomodation with manchester uni, because im a British student with a conditional offer, I'm quite unlikely to get my accomodation.

I wondered whats the best thing to do as a postgrad who wants a social life but at the same time wants to be able to work as well. I want to be in the City centre, so was looking at Cosmoplitan on Grafton street, any reviews would be useful/any alternative advice!

Amy :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Yeah, but also £118 a week (in the last academic year). In fact most of the exclusively PG residences are quite expensive, apart from The Firs Villa at the Fallowfield campus (£84 a week on a 51-week let).

Whitworth Park looks good - it's at the City campus, £87 a week, and mixed PG and UG.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Yeah I did want postgrad only, so I put down Geroge Kenyon standard room, then duluxe and then a mixed undergraduate/postgrad since they keep you seperated anyway.

I'm just not sure on whether to risk waiting until July to see if I get accomodation from Manchester, or take the offer from Cosmopolitan when I get it (as I also applied to them already). I don't know how likely it is Manchester will give me accomodation since I hve a conditional offer, and I'm an EU student...
Reply 3
Original post by amiiness1991
Yeah I did want postgrad only, so I put down Geroge Kenyon standard room, then duluxe and then a mixed undergraduate/postgrad since they keep you seperated anyway.

I'm just not sure on whether to risk waiting until July to see if I get accomodation from Manchester, or take the offer from Cosmopolitan when I get it (as I also applied to them already). I don't know how likely it is Manchester will give me accomodation since I hve a conditional offer, and I'm an EU student...

Do you know what exactly is the difference between standard en-suite and deluxe en-suite? :confused:

Does anybody have any experience - to say: has lived there or has friends living in George Kenyon? And does anybody know about the Opal hall, which also seems to be in the City Centre and only for postgrads?
Reply 4
Original post by Patacones
Do you know what exactly is the difference between standard en-suite and deluxe en-suite? :confused:

Does anybody have any experience - to say: has lived there or has friends living in George Kenyon? And does anybody know about the Opal hall, which also seems to be in the City Centre and only for postgrads?

I think duluxe en suite is a bigger room. Maybe got a double bed becuase its a bigger room, or just more floor space. Are you still undecided about where to live?
Reply 5
I have the same situation now! Can anyone help?
Original post by Noodlle
I have the same situation now! Can anyone help?

You might want to have a look at this - I know it's aimed at undergrads, but there's some info that might help http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2091577
Reply 7
I have just booked a place at Ropemaker Court! That looks extremely pretty and really close to university! I heard that private accommodation is not a good idea for undergrads, but seems that lots of postgrads are staying there! Is that a good choice for me? I'm going to study Msc International Business

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Noodlle
I have just booked a place at Ropemaker Court! That looks extremely pretty and really close to university! I heard that private accommodation is not a good idea for undergrads, but seems that lots of postgrads are staying there! Is that a good choice for me? I'm going to study Msc International Business

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, but just don't wander far west of Ropemaker, especially at night!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Origami Bullets
Yes, but just don't wander far west of Ropemaker, especially at night!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It isn't a safe area you mean? If it is so, maybe better to choose something different, a Grorge Kaynon Hall maybe

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Noodlle
It isn't a safe area you mean? If it is so, maybe better to choose something different, a Grorge Kaynon Hall maybe

Posted from TSR Mobile

Indeed - MossSide is rather rough.

If safety is high up on your list of concerns, GK would be better

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Origami Bullets
Indeed - MossSide is rather rough.

If safety is high up on your list of concerns, GK would be better

Posted from TSR Mobile

But mosside seems to be not really close to ropemarket. Rooemarket as I see is right near Whitworth Park and there is also manchester accommodation, that's why I thought it would be safe and close to student society..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Please I also need help, going to be studying MSc Management, I don't know which accommodation to go for. George Kenyon is usually the most recommended, but its quite expensive, is there no other alternative? How about Ronson hall? I'm considering a place that's not too expensive and also conveniently located to the campus. Thanks
Reply 13
I have booked ropemaker court too and have 3-4 friends living there . The prices for George keynon and ropemaker court are almost similar . Ropemaker is rather close to whitworth park than the moss side and is one of the newly built accommodations . The rooms and the ensuite bathrooms are much bigger than George keynon and other university accommodations . It has a lot of rooms which automatically means that its a student dominated area , so safety doesnt seem to be that great of an issue . Opposite ropemaker court , there is another accommodation - Opal ( which is quite old btw ) , so basically its an area full of students :smile:
Reply 14
Anyone here who's living at ropemaker right now?? Or at the student castle? Share your views)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
And what can anyone say about Ladydarn House?)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Hey ladybarn house is excellent and it is only meant for postgraduates . However it is in the fallowfield campus which is almost 40 minuites away from the business school . So it only makes sense to take it if your school is in that campus . Student Castle should be more convenient if you are in MBS . Both are equally good !

Also another good one is liberty living : http://www.libertyliving.co.uk/student-accommodation/manchester

The prices are a bit high but its bang opposite business school
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17
Yes, that looks nice! Really grateful for you help)
But I heard that it's not hard to get to MBS by bus from fallowfield, how long does it take? That's excellent to live near MBS, but Fallowfield looks really nice as an area, is it true?
And the main question! Is fallowfield suitable for postgrads? I really want and need to study as I am postgrad and I don't want to have drunk 1st year students singing right in front of my windows))) Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 18
Is Victoria Hall Manchester Universitie's hall or MMU's or private? That is close enough to MBS!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Is it really nice? Can't decide what to choose - GK or private halls

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending