The Student Room Group

Should I retake maths gcse?

Hi, I only got a c in gcse maths because I was restricted by teachers and only entered into foundation tier, however I gave an offer to study history with economics at Manchester and after would like to go into insurance, would it be good to do it in the first year at a college? Is it possible to self-teach it at uni? Or would you say not to bother? A lot of grad schemes I've looked at want strong maths skills or a B cheers
A grade C in maths is not a bad thing at all. However, if you were capable of doing the higher paper, it's a real shame that you weren't able to. Because you could have picked up the B you need.

Personally, I would say go for it if you have the time, and drive, to study for it again. There's past higher GCSE papers available for free online if you go to your exam board's website. Have a go at a higher paper, and see how you feel with it. If you find it doable, I'd say go for it! If you find it hard, just bear in mind you're going to have to find the time to study for it, on top of everything else you have to do :smile: But the hard work will be worth it in the end!

Hope that is some help!
Reply 2
Original post by Fairy Maths Tutor
A grade C in maths is not a bad thing at all. However, if you were capable of doing the higher paper, it's a real shame that you weren't able to. Because you could have picked up the B you need.

Personally, I would say go for it if you have the time, and drive, to study for it again. There's past higher GCSE papers available for free online if you go to your exam board's website. Have a go at a higher paper, and see how you feel with it. If you find it doable, I'd say go for it! If you find it hard, just bear in mind you're going to have to find the time to study for it, on top of everything else you have to do :smile: But the hard work will be worth it in the end!

Hope that is some help!

Well considering I haven't been taught any of higher tier, I'm going to find things tough if I just simply open up a past paper. Which précis easiest? I have this summer to learn it if I want to I suppose?
Reply 3
I did not study maths at college. i studied it on my own. but i managed to get good result in it..
I'll say go for it good woman
Reply 4
Original post by shereez234
I did not study maths at college. i studied it on my own. but i managed to get good result in it..
I'll say go for it good woman

Cheers, I think it's worth it, I will be doing some economics as part of my uni course, so I'm sure it will come in handy at some point. I got a level 6 at SATs which converts to a B at GCSE, I was so disappointed not to have been given the opportunity :/
Original post by sarah1345
Well considering I haven't been taught any of higher tier, I'm going to find things tough if I just simply open up a past paper. Which précis easiest? I have this summer to learn it if I want to I suppose?

There will be some things you'll be able to do on the higher tier paper. Some of the questions are in fact the same as the equivalent foundation paper! So if you have a look at a higher tier paper, you might be surprised how much of it you do know already :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Fairy Maths Tutor
There will be some things you'll be able to do on the higher tier paper. Some of the questions are in fact the same as the equivalent foundation paper! So if you have a look at a higher tier paper, you might be surprised how much of it you do know already :smile:

Okay :biggrin: Will try one, well I don't know any of the algebra, I've touched on substitution years ago; year 9, and that was it. What's the 'easiest' board, if there is one?
In all honesty, I'm not sure!

I'm studying Edexcel atm as part of my teacher training, and am finding it more in depth than what I remember of OCR from when I did GCSE's myself. But I could be totally wrong!

There's a thread on here about it though :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=656862

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending