The Student Room Group

Computing pre-release material AQA A

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
hey guys is it likely that we will get a question about creating levels
Reply 181
Original post by sl96
hey guys is it likely that we will get a question about creating levels

I doubt they'll ask you to program it - just because of the amount of stuff to change. They'll probably ask at the end, how you would do it (3D array) for 1-2 marks.
Reply 182
Original post by TipTapToe
I doubt they'll ask you to program it - just because of the amount of stuff to change. They'll probably ask at the end, how you would do it (3D array) for 1-2 marks.

Thanks, what would u consider likely to come up?
Hey, I'm gonna read through this thread when I get a chance (so sorry if someone's already asked these questions) but:

1) How difficult will the questions be when they ask us to change the code. Do they just expect us to be able to do harder things than sorting out the moving of the map / menu accepting lower case etc.
2) How can I practice section C questions?
3) Does anyone have a copy of the EAD. Apparently we're allowed to be given it at the same time as the preliminary material but my teacher refuses to give it to my class.
Original post by dying-divinity
Hey, I'm gonna read through this thread when I get a chance (so sorry if someone's already asked these questions) but:

1) How difficult will the questions be when they ask us to change the code. Do they just expect us to be able to do harder things than sorting out the moving of the map / menu accepting lower case etc.
2) How can I practice section C questions?
3) Does anyone have a copy of the EAD. Apparently we're allowed to be given it at the same time as the preliminary material but my teacher refuses to give it to my class.

Seems strange not to let you see it. It says in the examier's report that students should practise using it.

I've attached it.
Reply 185
Original post by sl96
Thanks, what would u consider likely to come up?

My guesses:

Looking at the EAD:
- There are two tables so (from past papers) that means Gray code, Finite state machines, or looking at code an seeing what happens as counter increases by 1 etc.
- 16 squares for binary - hamming code / other binary stuff
- They haven't asked about sound for a few years and the spec has added MIDI and streaming music since last year.

Programming - adding something easy (1), validation (2), adding some other relatively easy functionality (3)
Three 7 mark questions:

1) Adding teleport / torch
2) Validation to going off map / Validation to filenames,
3) Adding NE/SW/SE/NW,

On 13 mark question:
Increasing number of traps.
Adding two monsters.
(then 2 mark on how you would increase number of monsters / how you would make it 3D).
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 186
Original post by TipTapToe
My guesses:

Looking at the EAD:
- There are two tables so (from past papers) that means Gray code, Finite state machines, or looking at code an seeing what happens as counter increases by 1 etc.
- 16 squares for binary - hamming code / other binary stuff
- They haven't asked about sound for a few years and the spec has added MIDI and streaming music since last year.

Programming - adding something easy (1), validation (2), adding some other relatively easy functionality (3)
Three 7 mark questions:

1) Adding teleport / torch
2) Validation to going off map / Validation to filenames,
3) Adding NE/SW/SE/NW,

On 13 mark question:
Increasing number of traps.
Adding two monsters.
(then 2 mark on how you would increase number of monsters / how you would make it 3D).

ooh, I hadn't thought of two monsters..
Original post by sagederby
Seems strange not to let you see it. It says in the examier's report that students should practise using it.

I've attached it.

Thanks a bunch! Me and my class appreciate it greatly!
Reply 188
Hey,

I am doing Computing in my own time and to be honest, I don't know anything. The exam is in 12 days. I've got the notes for theory, but I don't know much VB6.
Are the answers on this valid for VB6?
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/A-level_Computing/AQA/Problem_Solving,_Programming,_Data_Representation_and_Practical_Exercise/Skeleton_code/2012_Exam

If not, are there any other sites with answers for possible questions for VB6?
Thanks alot
(edited 11 years ago)
does anybody know how to change the number of traps, I have tried it but but it requires a lot of work and a lot of procedures need changing .. so there must be an easier way ? im using pascal by the way
Reply 190
Original post by RoundNRound
does anybody know how to change the number of traps, I have tried it but but it requires a lot of work and a lot of procedures need changing .. so there must be an easier way ? im using pascal by the way

As far as I know (with java at least) you only need to change the load and play game methods, adding a for loop to load all the traps in load, and check all the traps in play game, I'd imagine this should be the same in all languages...
Reply 191
Original post by iCiaran
As far as I know (with java at least) you only need to change the load and play game methods, adding a for loop to load all the traps in load, and check all the traps in play game, I'd imagine this should be the same in all languages...

Yeah - it's the same for vb.NET. To add more traps, edit the number at the top and create a loop in the playgame sub.
Original post by D-Box
Yeah - it's the same for vb.NET. To add more traps, edit the number at the top and create a loop in the playgame sub.

Could you please show me a copy of the edited code? I'd really appreciate it, so i can compare what I have actually done in the pascal environment
Reply 193
Could you please show me a copy of the edited code? I'd really appreciate it, so i can compare what I have actually done in the pascal environment

Take a look at my post here and you should be able to work out a pascal equivalent.
There could also be a question which requires changing the SaveGame and LoadGame procedures from text files to CSV files
There could also be a question which requires changing the SaveGame and LoadGame procedures from text files to CSV files

The files are NOT text files, they are files of records -well they are in pascal so I am assuming they are something similar in other languages.

I very much doubt they will ask to change the file type as it seems pointless. It doesn't add any functionality and files of records are more useful.
Reply 196

They're saved as binary in vb.net
Original post by sagederby
The files are NOT text files, they are files of records -well they are in pascal so I am assuming they are something similar in other languages.

I very much doubt they will ask to change the file type as it seems pointless. It doesn't add any functionality and files of records are more useful.

It was just something my teacher suggested, we did it in class and i thought that it was also pointless but thought I'd share the idea to see what everyone thinks :smile:
Reply 198
Original post by jjbrown
Hey,

I am doing Computing in my own time and to be honest, I don't know anything. The exam is in 12 days. I've got the notes for theory, but I don't know much VB6.
Are the answers on this valid for VB6?
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/A-level_Computing/AQA/Problem_Solving,_Programming,_Data_Representation_and_Practical_Exercise/Skeleton_code/2012_Exam

If not, are there any other sites with answers for possible questions for VB6?
Thanks alot

Anyone? Please?

Thanks
Reply 199
Original post by jjbrown
Anyone? Please?

Thanks

I'm doing VB.Net, and I'm not sure quite what the difference is but I've personally compiled a hefty list of additions / alterations in one neat word document, pm me your email address and I'll send it to you.

but be warned, I've done a lot more than what's likely to come up and I haven't distinguished them in the document, but I've done it so you can navigate to each question easily with the navigation page so filtering what you need shouldn't be a problem

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending