The Student Room Group

Do I have a moral responsibility to not sleep with guys who are taken?

Recently I met this lovely guy... Who is happily married. First thing we really talked about was his wife, how they met etc. He seems really happy with her.

And then... one thing led to another and we have been getting into bed quite a few times.

Am I, a single woman, doing something wrong here? Do I have a moral responsibility to not sleep with a man just because he is married to someone else?

From my point of view - he is just as much of a cheater if he wants to cheat, regardless of he succeeds or not. So I don't think he wouldn't be a cheater only because I would say no to him.

And also, it's really good sex and he treats me like a princess.

Scroll to see replies

Unless he's told his wife and they're in an open relationship, you're his dirty little secret.
If you don't give a crap about potentially destroying this other woman's life, go ahead.

Also, the justification that "oh well if I don't have sex with him, someone else will just come along and do it." is demented.
You're helping someone cheat and lie to their wife, I would say that's fairly immoral.
Reply 3
You have a moral repsponsibility to yourself...he doesn't love/want/ care about you. To him you're nothing more than a quick shag, your disposable and he can just throw you in the gutter when he gets bored. Is that really what you want for yourself?

After he blows off some steam with you he goes back to his wife, the woman he's sworn his eternal love to, the woman he shares his life with and doesnt give you a second thought until he gets bored again.

He is a lying cheating peice of dirt and your happy to sleep with someone like that? bare in mind that if he can lie to his wife he most certainly can, and probably is lying to you, does he have any other "bits on the side"? (that you know of) He could be sleeping around with a whole load of other women...

You dont owe anything to his wife but you owe yourself some respect because he certainly isnt giving you any.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Yes, that's immoral.

If you slept with him and THEN found out that he was married - that wouldn't be wrong. Provided that you didn't sleep with him again after. However, happily jumping into bed when you know he is married is morally wrong.

Forget about the guy and his wife for the moment. Are you really happy to be the other woman - someone that ultimatley is worthless to him? You may not owe anything to the wife but you should treat yourself with self respect.
Reply 5
I would say that it is immoral. You're helping someone lie and cheat. Obviously it's more his fault, but you still have to take some of the blame. You're hurting his wife. Eventually you'll be hurting him (if she finds out and wants to divorce him or whatever). And you're also hurting yourself. If you get emotionally invested in this relationship, you're probably setting yourself up for failure. Looking at statistics, he most likely won't leave his wife for you. So you're getting yourself invested in a relationship that has no future and eventually he will kick you to the curb (either when he gets sick of you, starts feeling guilty, or if his wife finds out and threatens him with divorce).

If you're just in it for the sex and don't care if you lose him, whatever. It's immoral but I obviously can't stop you. But if you do get invested, you're just setting up everyone to get hurt.
There are times when people have to learn to do the right thing on their own. Nobody here cares cause neither do you. Being treated like a princess in your opinion is just getting shoved left, right, up and down all over the room lol by a guy who doesn't give a damn about you. Do women think so little of themselves these days. Then again if you don't want commitment I guess its the ideal 'relationship'. But honestly, if this is the best you can do then you're definitely not an eye-catcher.
(edited 12 years ago)
Do unto others as you will have done to you. You won't be so glib about ruining other people's lives when you find out your boyfriend/ husband has been betraying and making a monumental fool of you behind your back. It has happened to me, and there is no more debilitating, humiliating, heartbreaking and life changing experience.. She didn't care less that she caused my whole world to fall apart, all for the sake of getting her sordid little ego stroked.

Absolutely shocking behaviour, and attitude. Women like you are lacking some basic empathy/ morality traits that seem to come naturally to others. Some could say you're emotionally retarded.
Original post by Anonymous
Recently I met this lovely guy... Who is happily married. First thing we really talked about was his wife, how they met etc. He seems really happy with her.

And then... one thing led to another and we have been getting into bed quite a few times.

Am I, a single woman, doing something wrong here? Do I have a moral responsibility to not sleep with a man just because he is married to someone else?

From my point of view - he is just as much of a cheater if he wants to cheat, regardless of he succeeds or not. So I don't think he wouldn't be a cheater only because I would say no to him.

And also, it's really good sex and he treats me like a princess.

Same situation. Most of the girls I meet have steady bfs. Some of the more mature women are married. Sex is great, it's friendly, fun and very satisfying.

But it has to be handled with care and discretion. And it has to not be seen as the prelude to a more serious relationship.

For a single woman this is ideal. Why have a serious bf when you get all the benefits and his wife deals with the baggage adn stress of a serious relationship? No hassles from him either.
Reply 9
Yes you do. What a stupid question, this is common sense. Amazing how stupid people can be.
Depends whether your a slapper or not..
Reply 11
Original post by CogitoErgoSum
Unless he's told his wife and they're in an open relationship, you're his dirty little secret.
If you don't give a crap about potentially destroying this other woman's life, go ahead.

Also, the justification that "oh well if I don't have sex with him, someone else will just come along and do it." is demented.

I just don't see why he isn't guilty if he would try really hard to get me into bed but fail to do so. How is that not betrayal? Why is it so important to their relationship what I do? His desires are the same, his choices are the same.

First time I met him I rejected him because he was married - I figured he would regret it later. Next time I saw him he was behaving the same way, obviously still determined to get me into bed and obviously wasn't acting on impulse of the moment, he had thought it true.

And I am not destroying this woman's life. First of all, I am not the only one he has been with and it's not like this started because we fell in love or anything like that. She won't be able to find out about me either. He just wants to sleep around and we enjoy each others company. They probably do have a happy marriage - he is a sweetheart to me, so he probably is to her as well! I bet he treats her like a princess. Now what's so wrong with that?
I just don't see why he isn't guilty if he would try really hard to get me into bed but fail to do so. How is that not betrayal? Why is it so important to their relationship what I do? His desires are the same, his choices are the same.

First time I met him I rejected him because he was married - I figured he would regret it later. Next time I saw him he was behaving the same way, obviously still determined to get me into bed and obviously wasn't acting on impulse of the moment, he had thought it true.

And I am not destroying this woman's life. First of all, I am not the only one he has been with and it's not like this started because we fell in love or anything like that. She won't be able to find out about me either. He just wants to sleep around and we enjoy each others company. They probably do have a happy marriage - he is a sweetheart to me, so he probably is to her as well! I bet he treats her like a princess. Now what's so wrong with that?

'Now whats so wrong with that'
I can't believe ive just read this..
Earlier question answered.

That is betrayal. ****ing you is just worse betrayal.

Maybe not destroying her life but do you have no sympathy for her?
How would you feel if you were her? Their marriage can't be that happy if he's ****ing a load of other women behind her back.

How is cheating on her multiple times treating her like a "princess"?
Reply 14
Well, when he's with her and the conception she has of him. I think he makes her very happy.

Why does one relationship with one person has to be defined by all other relationships one has with other people?
Reply 15
Original post by Schroedinger's Pandora
Do unto others as you will have done to you. You won't be so glib about ruining other people's lives when you find out your boyfriend/ husband has been betraying and making a monumental fool of you behind your back. It has happened to me, and there is no more debilitating, humiliating, heartbreaking and life changing experience.. She didn't care less that she caused my whole world to fall apart, all for the sake of getting her sordid little ego stroked.

Absolutely shocking behaviour, and attitude. Women like you are lacking some basic empathy/ morality traits that seem to come naturally to others. Some could say you're emotionally retarded.

I have been cheated on before - the girl told me and I cried for weeks. I would have been better off without knowing.

However... You're saying that I should, for the sake of women everywhere (or maybe for the sake of a woman I don't know anything about and haven't met), give up my own happiness and turn down a really attractive man? What for? If all women go together on this, finally the whole world will turn him down and he will learn a lesson? Or what?
Reply 16
Original post by tripsis
I would say that it is immoral. You're helping someone lie and cheat. Obviously it's more his fault, but you still have to take some of the blame. You're hurting his wife. Eventually you'll be hurting him (if she finds out and wants to divorce him or whatever). And you're also hurting yourself. If you get emotionally invested in this relationship, you're probably setting yourself up for failure. Looking at statistics, he most likely won't leave his wife for you. So you're getting yourself invested in a relationship that has no future and eventually he will kick you to the curb (either when he gets sick of you, starts feeling guilty, or if his wife finds out and threatens him with divorce).

If you're just in it for the sex and don't care if you lose him, whatever. It's immoral but I obviously can't stop you. But if you do get invested, you're just setting up everyone to get hurt.

I agree that it would be stupid to try to have a "real relationship" with a guy that is married. Especially since he is so happily married and in love with his wife! This is not about emotional investment though. Not at all.

He's significantly older than me and we don't live in the same country (he moved with his wife to the country she is originally from, they have a house there), so even it he was single it wouldn't really be any potential there.

Secondly, it is indeed only sex. Really great, casual sex that is so much fun and I'm so happy when I'm around him. He is really attractive and it is unusual for me to find a guy like that. I have been feeling lonely and honestly he was exactly what I needed.
Reply 17
Original post by PraxxtorCruel
There are times when people have to learn to do the right thing on their own. Nobody here cares cause neither do you. Being treated like a princess in your opinion is just getting shoved left, right, up and down all over the room lol by a guy who doesn't give a damn about you. Do women think so little of themselves these days. Then again if you don't want commitment I guess its the ideal 'relationship'. But honestly, if this is the best you can do then you're definitely not an eye-catcher.

In the wait for an relationship, should I sit home and never sleep with anyone? I'm not choosing him instead of a proper relationship, I am choosing him instead of not getting laid!

And apparently there is something wrong with my confidence because I enjoy the company of a gorgeous man who showers me with love and tells me how beautiful and amazing I am, how impressed he is with me and that he thinks I have potential to change the world.
Why don't you have a threesome? No actually you do have an obligation,cheating isn't nice. Its AWFUL! Really you 2 deserve eachother, the slapper and the cheater, its his wife I feel sorry for not YOU
Reply 19
I'm speechless...

Your having sex with a married bloke.

The married bloke is sleeping around behind his wife's back.

You try to shirk off any responsibility despite the old adage, 'it takes two to tango'

If we consider Immanuel Kant, then by virtue by engaging in this sort of activity then you should be ok with some other girl sleeping with your husband, when you get round to marrying.

For me, this sort of thing is immoral because I would not like to have a partner cheat on me in such a manner. By sleeping with this guy you effectively tell the world that you give your future husband permission to sleep with other girls!!! The whole idea of 'well, if you can justify this act then why cant other girls?'

Also, your probably quite insecure. I ****ing hate girls like you, because you are so bleeding easy to play. I give you a bit of attention and loving and your hooked. Trust me, i've done it in the past. I don't like being with such girls. BUT guys can get girls like you pretty easy, and that is the sad sad truth of it. He is with you because the sex is good, not because you could be his life partner. He already has one of those!!! Your getting played by a very good opponent.

But that aside, if you feel you can shrug off the above two points then I hereby morally cleanse you and reccommend you to continue. Heck, I don't care that much
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending