The Student Room Group

Does this watch vendor look legit/genuine to you?

http://www.thewatchden.co.uk/

Selling some heavily discounted designer watches.

But doesn't look like the typical fake web shop - they have a physical shop in Loughborough for one.

What do you think? Anyone bought from them before?
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Its probably not as they have a shop in Loughborough, so you can always go from there if you need to sue them / get a refund for a fake watch :tongue:
Reply 2
Reply 3
Original post by tehforum

It's just that some of their D&G and Armani watches, for example, seem heavily discounted compared to more mainstream shops. Such large discounts usually ring 'fake' bells, but as mentioned - they seem legit from their presentation.
Reply 4
Original post by Demise
It's just that some of their D&G and Armani watches, for example, seem heavily discounted compared to more mainstream shops. Such large discounts usually ring 'fake' bells, but as mentioned - they seem legit from their presentation.

Although I have watched too many "Real Hustle" episodes to think that if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

E-mail/phone them up saying how are you able to sell watches for a profit when other mainstream shops are retailing them for a much higher price.
Reply 5
bump
Reply 6
my guess the reason theyre selling them relatively so cheap is because they can afford to i.e. theyre not charging such a high mark up ... these arent especially good watches they all use generic movements that cost a few quid to make youre literally just paying for the name also as they only have one store they wont be expending so much on labour like h.samual or the like who have a large quantity of store so wont have to charge so much to cover expenses
but these are just possible reasons.
also through a quick at companies house they are a legit uk registered business so it should all be good plus the discounts arent to outrageous to make them seem fake..
Reply 7
i wouldn't take the risk :smile:
Reply 8
Hi All,

Jon here - I work at The Watch Den head office in Leicestershire. I saw this and thought I'd let you know that if there is any uncertainty we offer a 14 day money back refund or exchange policy so what we usually suggest is that if you buy a watch you can always take it along to a jewellers or someone in the know [local to you] and get the watch's authenticity verified within what's called the "14 day cooling off period". All our watches are genuine so we are always happy to recommend doing this. Customer services are open during normal office hours if you want to give us a call with any questions :smile:

Oh and I'm a newbie so I believe it customary to say hi!
Preferably use a credit card, they offer alot more protection against fraud etc.
Reply 10
Original post by thewatchden
Hi All,

Jon here - I work at The Watch Den head office in Leicestershire. I saw this and thought I'd let you know that if there is any uncertainty we offer a 14 day money back refund or exchange policy so what we usually suggest is that if you buy a watch you can always take it along to a jewellers or someone in the know [local to you] and get the watch's authenticity verified within what's called the "14 day cooling off period". All our watches are genuine so we are always happy to recommend doing this. Customer services are open during normal office hours if you want to give us a call with any questions :smile:

Oh and I'm a newbie so I believe it customary to say hi!

Thanks for your response.

May I ask - how do you afford such high discounts, compared to say John Lewis and other mainstream stores?
Original post by Demise
Thanks for your response.

May I ask - how do you afford such high discounts, compared to say John Lewis and other mainstream stores?

Hi Demise,

We sell a huge amount of watches every day (where the High Street retailer will look to sell 1 or 2) so we are able to have minimal profit margins and pass the savings straight on. We are predominantly an online watch retailer which also helps us pass on such high savings.

I'm starting to sound a bit salesman-like now but I hope this gives you a better idea in response to your question and I'm happy to help further if needs be :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by thewatchden
Hi Demise,

We sell a huge amount of watches every day (where the High Street retailer will look to sell 1 or 2) so we are able to have minimal profit margins and pass the savings straight on. We are predominantly an online watch retailer which also helps us pass on such high savings.

I'm starting to sound a bit salesman-like now but I hope this gives you a better idea in response to your question and I'm happy to help further if needs be :smile:

Thanks, and I did contact you on eBay - but just to check you are the same company, the watches on your eBay shop are exactly the same and come from the same place as your official website/physical shop?
Original post by Demise
Thanks, and I did contact you on eBay - but just to check you are the same company, the watches on your eBay shop are exactly the same and come from the same place as your official website/physical shop?

Yeah all the watches listed on eBay are the same as watches on www.thewatchden.co.uk. All genuine and have the same 14 day policy as the website and you'll get the same warranty, customer service etc. My colleague will have picked up your contact through eBay so I'll go and make sure you've had a response :yy:
I'd say they're legit. If people get reported for fakes, the first people to pull out of the website are paypal and sagepay, and they've got both as payment options on the site.

They're also registered with companies house etc.
Reply 15
Slightly late reply but I came across this thread when I was looking into the watch den myself recently. There didn't seem to be a lot of reviews around and I was particularly nervous about buying a certain watch from them due to the amount of fakes around however the savings were just too good to let it lie. I eventually rang my credit card company up and asked if I would be covered if the watch was a fake ... they told me I would be so I ordered the watch, received it next day and have been to three separate jewellers/watch shops who have all confirmed that the watch is genuine. More than happy with the purchase and thought it was only right that I put my own review online for people to see. If you have any doubts, use a credit card as you are covered but all was fine with me. Well recommended site.
I've been looking for a new watch & just been on that site. Looks like they've got a decent selection & good value as well.
Yes it look legit/genuine by their watches design and images shown.
Reply 18
Original post by kennyp
hmmm... im really concerned in the way my posts in regards to my Shopping experience with the Watch Den have been Deleted??

My posts were correct and truthful accounts of the abysmal Customer Service I have endured since purchasing my watch from Watch Den

I have had to go to Small claims Court for them to finally offer me a full refund for the Faulty Watch costing me £25 court fees

Please reinstate my posts as soon as possible please

Kenny P

UPDATE :

Proof of County Court Claim has been sent to the Moderator for Verification

There has still been no response from The Watch Den even though they are aware of this thread

Ken
Reply 19
Original post by kennyp
UPDATE :

Proof of County Court Claim has been sent to the Moderator for Verification

There has still been no response from The Watch Den even though they are aware of this thread

Ken

Had the watch checked by Armani

Oh dear is does not look good for the Watch Den

See you in court

Quick Reply

Latest